share rss forum feed

TSI Jonathan
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10
reply to UnixMan

Re: [DSL] Network congestion tonight?

I'm happy to read that it has already been resolved.

For the investigation of this thread about the congestion, I am looking to receive an update which I will post here once I receive something.

Thank you,

TSI Jonathan
--
Social Media Relations Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to torobull123

This certainly looks like a growing issue. Of the folks I referred to TSI all but one are on cable so they are less likely to feel the pain. The one that does have DSL is on the 6Mb plan so they could even be affected judging by how low some of these speedtests are showing.

Sounds like 10Gbps circuits are needed badly to replace this outdated model of adding one 1Gbps circuit and waiting for the load to balance out. I thought this was already decided upon by the CRTC...?

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to torobull123

Hi guys,

I have requested to see if I can get my hands on a list of upcoming Network Upgrades and their ETA... Stay Tuned.

Cheers,

Andre

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26

Andre, we'll get the exact details shortly but essentially, we added 3 gig links that were idle back in november~ish. Then we upgraded all the links to full capacity effectively adding roughly another 3gig capacity in December.

Now we are waiting on 3 new physical gig links that should go live by the end of the month that will also be fully used...

so inside of 3-4 months we will have added roughly 9 gig of capacity for Bell DSL (ON and QC) alone.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

conjor

join:2011-02-25

4 edits

Adding 1 Gb links at a time won't fix congestion like this (taken tonight around 6PM in North York on the Greenboro POI): »puu.sh/1KYLI

The net is almost useless during peak hours. Why do all ISP's around Toronto insist on oversubscribing their lines?

Edit: Only gets better as the night goes on!

»puu.sh/1KZyC

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to TSI Marc

Thanks

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22
reply to conjor

said by conjor:

Adding 1 Gb links at a time won't fix congestion like this (taken tonight around 6PM in North York on the Greenboro POI): »puu.sh/1KYLI

The net is almost useless during peak hours. Why do all ISP's around Toronto insist on oversubscribing their lines?

Edit: Only gets better as the night goes on!

»puu.sh/1KZyC

Because Bell insists on only selling IISPs individual gigabit links at a time? They're still dragging their feet on 10 GigE links, making it very difficult for a large IISP to keep up with growth no matter how fast they add new links.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

conjor

join:2011-02-25

said by Guspaz:

Because Bell insists on only selling IISPs individual gigabit links at a time? They're still dragging their feet on 10 GigE links, making it very difficult for a large IISP to keep up with growth no matter how fast they add new links.

Then those ISP's which don't have capacity for more customers shouldn't sub-up more customers? Regardless of the circumstances behind the situation, it leaves a bad taste in customers mouths.

Sadly, the best Internet I have ever been able to get in the Toronto area has been a WiMAX solution from Bell. How sad is that?

Phibian

join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Thank you Marc. Your efforts to build a solid and reliable network are a large part of why I'm a customer and I appreciate the insight into where things are at during this difficult time. I look forward to further updates as they become available.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to conjor

said by conjor:

Then those ISP's which don't have capacity for more customers shouldn't sub-up more customers?

That would work only if the whole trunk between TSI and Bell was treated like a single large pipe so load can be balanced between all available links or subsets thereof.

The way AHSSPIs work right now, bandwidth and individual subscriber sessions are statically allocated to a single GbE link. TSI could have 1000x GbE links to Bell and still get congestion simply because Bell's BAS decided to cram too many active subscribers on high-speed profiles on the same AHSSPI link which are still 1GbE each, leaving many of the others under-used.

Until 10GbE AHSSPI becomes available, there is little TSI (or any other ISP) can do about congestion. You can only cram 40 active 25Mbps subscribers per GbE before hiccups start and leasing enough AHSPIs to accommodate numbers anywhere near that low would be cost-prohibitive. If you allow a 6:1 oversubscription, you would be looking at about $100/month per 25M subscriber.

95% of the blame lies strictly with the Bell-GAS service and fee structure that makes bandwidth management by ISPs nearly impossible, very inefficient and very expensive. The simplest fix (or at least a huge step in the right direction) is 10G AHSSPI but as Guspaz said, Bell is in absolutely no hurry to make this easy and likely won't make it cheap either.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to torobull123

Also, didn't Marc say at one point that their total number of DSL customers was shrinking as more and more switched to cable?
--

Phibian

Ottawa, ON

Click for full size
Packet loss today
I think he said it was staying about static (certainly not growing). The problem is the same number of total users are slowly moving their average speed from 5 towards 25. That takes a big hit on the links without an equally big increase in income (if people are actually using their full connection). I can see how this is really not going to end well without moving to 10g since the burst rates are now so much higher.

If it keeps this up it is going to become unusable soon. I hope those new links are coming in soon. Today was not a good day for VoIP.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

said by Phibian:

I think he said it was staying about static (certainly not growing). The problem is the same number of total users are slowly moving their average speed from

That is what he said. Bell should have had 10Gb AGAS links at the latest 2 years ago. It is pretty clear now that they're intentionally screwing over the IISPs.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Phibian

I'm not experiencing any packet loss for the past few hours, what time does the packet loss start and stop for you? Your performance issues may be regional, or restricted to certain unbalanced links (the MLPPP hardware is on a subset of the links, for example).
--

UnixMan

join:2012-10-14
reply to 34764170

There are number of threads in this forum referring the same problem. For instance:

[DSL] VDSL - 25/7 Congestion
[DSL] Congested Links?
[DSL] Upgraded to 25/7, experiencing congestion
[DSL] Peak-time congestion

It has already been happening at least since May last year. Reviewing them you can find that TekSavvy always informed us about adding some Gigs to AGAS. But unfortunately nothing has been changed till now.

For me it sounds like TekSavvy DSL customers every evening simply experience a trivial Internet traffic shaping instead of fabricated congestion. By the way, what does AGAS stand for? I have found the following:

Affordable Guided Airdrop System
American Georgian Academy of Sciences
Acronym Gateway Acronym Server
AGER or Agricultural Associations
Art Galleries and Antique Shops
Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services

It seems to me all our lovely ISPs add those Gig links to "Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services" but not to the Internet service

UnixMan

Even more, it's happening across Canada to all TekSavvy customers, DSL and cable. Here is one more guy with Shaw cable:

Cable » Peak hours SUPER slow!

So, looks like it's more political question than technical one.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

said by UnixMan:

Even more, it's happening across Canada to all TekSavvy customers, DSL and cable. Here is one more guy with Shaw cable:

Cable » Peak hours SUPER slow!

So, looks like it's more political question than technical one.

No, cable and DSL have different sets of issues. You obviously didn't even read the second post of the thread and no it isn't happening to all TekSavvy customers.

UnixMan

I have read the second post. A man in London, ON is attempting to express only his own opinion and give recommendations to OP in British Columbia sitting on Shaw cable that TekSavvy is reselling. How can he guarantee where it is happening? Kinda a fan boy opinion.

Phibian

Ottawa, ON
reply to Guspaz

Click for full size
Click for full size
It varies quite a bit. Seems to be mainly daytime (which is a bit odd given that peak usage should be night). Some days are worse than others. I am on MLPPP (2 lines) so that might play a role. I guess I could drop one line and see what that does.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to torobull123

Just did a ping test to google.ca, currently seeing no packetloss (100 pings, 0 lost). I'm also on an MLPPP login, but not currently using MLPPP on it.

EDIT: This is a 25/10 line on a cellpipe modem.
--

Phibian

Ottawa, ON

5 back to back tests. 1,3,1,1,0 % loss. Really need something like smokeping to give you a proper reading.

Ping statistics for 74.125.226.23:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 99, Lost = 1 (1% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 14ms

Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 97, Lost = 3 (3% loss),
Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 23ms, Average = 14ms

Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 14ms

Ping statistics for 74.125.226.31:
Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 14ms

Ping statistics for 74.125.226.31:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 14ms

You don't have a linux box you could put smokeping on by chance to get some longer-term sample data?

torobull123

join:2009-06-20

3 edits
reply to torobull123

Crazy congestion tonight... more than usual.

1/10th of my sync of a 6mbit.

Which is insane if you ask me. Especially if you work and only have access to your home internet during peak hours only.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26

Hey torobull, see this thread;

»Changes in Bell AGAS network
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

torobull123

join:2009-06-20

Thanks Marc.

keltron

join:2012-12-26
North York, ON

6:25 - 25/10 looking ok .. better than last night and the night before

Liberty25

join:2013-02-01
reply to torobull123

Good to hear that some things are being done to try to fix this, because as a Teksavvy customer, it's been really frustrating to have to watch Youtube at 360p (and even that sometimes stops to buffer) every single evening between about 7 PM to almost midnight, and to have to wait forever for GOMtv videos to buffer... Sometimes it feels like I'm back in the dialup days

Liberty25

reply to TSI Marc

You know what? Reading some threads here, I now realize that I actually bought a new wifi router for no reason because of TSI's congestion issues.

During the day I work in my office and everything was fast, but in the evenings I move to my laptop which connects over wifi, and things were slow and I couldn't figure out why. Tried all kinds of things to speed it up until I actually bought a new linksys router thinking that my DSL modem's wifi was having problems.

Wish teksavvy could refund me that money, but I'll settle for fixing the congestion issue

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

said by Liberty25:

You know what? Reading some threads here, I now realize that I actually bought a new wifi router for no reason because of TSI's congestion issues.

During the day I work in my office and everything was fast, but in the evenings I move to my laptop which connects over wifi, and things were slow and I couldn't figure out why. Tried all kinds of things to speed it up until I actually bought a new linksys router thinking that my DSL modem's wifi was having problems.

Wish teksavvy could refund me that money, but I'll settle for fixing the congestion issue

Learned a lesson there? Always do exhaustive testing while directly connected to your modem. Not while connected through your router. (Though sometimes I do forget DSL users use PPoE login's through their routers).
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Liberty25

said by Liberty25:

What router did you had prior to upgrading? Just curious ** as you may needed an upgrade regardless!!

Liberty25

reply to TwiztedZero

Trying again, as what I posted earlier today hasn't shown up on the forum..

My modem and wifi router were the same thing. I've been using the Thomson modem that I got when I signed up for Teksavvy. I'm not an expert, unlike many here, and while in hindsight it might seem obvious that the congestion problem caused my issues, at the time it truly seemed like I only got crappy speeds on wifi and good speeds on ethernet.