share rss forum feed

Phibian

join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Guspaz

Re: [DSL] Network congestion tonight?

5 back to back tests. 1,3,1,1,0 % loss. Really need something like smokeping to give you a proper reading.

Ping statistics for 74.125.226.23:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 99, Lost = 1 (1% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 14ms

Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 97, Lost = 3 (3% loss),
Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 23ms, Average = 14ms

Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 14ms

Ping statistics for 74.125.226.31:
Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 14ms

Ping statistics for 74.125.226.31:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 14ms

You don't have a linux box you could put smokeping on by chance to get some longer-term sample data?

torobull123

join:2009-06-20

3 edits
reply to torobull123

Crazy congestion tonight... more than usual.

1/10th of my sync of a 6mbit.

Which is insane if you ask me. Especially if you work and only have access to your home internet during peak hours only.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

Hey torobull, see this thread;

»Changes in Bell AGAS network
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

torobull123

join:2009-06-20

Thanks Marc.

keltron

join:2012-12-26
North York, ON

6:25 - 25/10 looking ok .. better than last night and the night before

Liberty25

join:2013-02-01
reply to torobull123

Good to hear that some things are being done to try to fix this, because as a Teksavvy customer, it's been really frustrating to have to watch Youtube at 360p (and even that sometimes stops to buffer) every single evening between about 7 PM to almost midnight, and to have to wait forever for GOMtv videos to buffer... Sometimes it feels like I'm back in the dialup days

Liberty25

reply to TSI Marc

You know what? Reading some threads here, I now realize that I actually bought a new wifi router for no reason because of TSI's congestion issues.

During the day I work in my office and everything was fast, but in the evenings I move to my laptop which connects over wifi, and things were slow and I couldn't figure out why. Tried all kinds of things to speed it up until I actually bought a new linksys router thinking that my DSL modem's wifi was having problems.

Wish teksavvy could refund me that money, but I'll settle for fixing the congestion issue

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

said by Liberty25:

You know what? Reading some threads here, I now realize that I actually bought a new wifi router for no reason because of TSI's congestion issues.

During the day I work in my office and everything was fast, but in the evenings I move to my laptop which connects over wifi, and things were slow and I couldn't figure out why. Tried all kinds of things to speed it up until I actually bought a new linksys router thinking that my DSL modem's wifi was having problems.

Wish teksavvy could refund me that money, but I'll settle for fixing the congestion issue

Learned a lesson there? Always do exhaustive testing while directly connected to your modem. Not while connected through your router. (Though sometimes I do forget DSL users use PPoE login's through their routers).
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Liberty25

said by Liberty25:

What router did you had prior to upgrading? Just curious ** as you may needed an upgrade regardless!!

Liberty25

reply to TwiztedZero

Trying again, as what I posted earlier today hasn't shown up on the forum..

My modem and wifi router were the same thing. I've been using the Thomson modem that I got when I signed up for Teksavvy. I'm not an expert, unlike many here, and while in hindsight it might seem obvious that the congestion problem caused my issues, at the time it truly seemed like I only got crappy speeds on wifi and good speeds on ethernet.

Liberty25

reply to Guru

As I said above, I was using my Thomson modem that I got when I signed up for TSI as a wifi router.

UK_Dave

join:2011-01-27
Powassan, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico

1 edit

Hi Liberty,

You and I - we are in identical boats. I've done a lot of substitution of equipment, and wiring etc - just to avoid getting dinged the $85 that Bell threatens if they are called out and the problem is internal.

In the end, I called them (*Bell) directly with a "mysterious and sporadic" telephone static issue (not totally untrue), and that at least got me an engineer to site. He replaced the demarcation box and some inefficient and old wiring (for free, luckily). But at least now I can plug my equiment directly into the demarc to rule out the $85 hit.

I get it that Bell look after that first hop, and that was heavily promoted by TSI and a few of the pro's here.

The only thing that I find suspicious is why I am getting these problems - and my neighbour, who is still on Bell - does not.

I do take your view too, in that I just want it fixed.

However, if these new upgrades at TSI suddenly solve my problem I know I should be happy. But a not insignificant part of my head will also feel utterly pi$$ed off at what we've been through and had to put up with in terms of provision.

The fact it took until now to spot it (charitable interpretation), or admit it (not charitable interpretation) does not impress me.

I'll probably come back and edit this when I feel less grumpy.

dsl

join:2012-02-02
reply to UnixMan

said by UnixMan:

By the way, what does AGAS stand for?

Naturally since:

BAS= big azz subwoofer
AGAS = a gigantic azz subwoofer

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium,VIP
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC
kudos:7

Advanced Gateway Access Services.

Just a fancy name for circuit that carries L2TP tunnels.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

Not so advanced when they can't offer 10gig ones!
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Liberty25

Still can't watch Youtube at 480p (!) on my Teksavvy DSL in Gatineau (near Ottawa on Quebec's side) during peak time. Absolutely fine off-peak, but still congested during peak. This is ridiculous...

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03

said by Liberty25:

Still can't watch Youtube at 480p (!) on my Teksavvy DSL in Gatineau (near Ottawa on Quebec's side) during peak time. Absolutely fine off-peak, but still congested during peak. This is ridiculous...

Pingtest and speedtest to random servers are fine for me so congestion does not appear to be the cause of my Youtube playback issues.

Going by the playback bar, it seems Youtube randomly completely stops buffering and often does not resume before playback catches up. Congestion would cause buffering to proceed at a slower pace rather than cause it to stop altogether for several seconds at a time. Either the client randomly forgets to keep buffering (unlikely since it happens on the Flash, HTML, Android and other players) or the server periodically stops responding for some reason (server-side bug) so buffering stops until the player resets the connection to resume buffering.

It should be easy enough to find out with wireshark or equivalent: check whether the player or the server is the last one to show activity when playback stalls.

InvalidError

reply to Liberty25

said by Liberty25:

More of the same tonight...

The whole reset the PPPoE session until I land on a different link or clear whatever is causing this routine is getting a 'little' old. Need to push CRTC buttons harder for 10GbE.

Phibian

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to torobull123

I too am seeing DSL congestion. Mainly during peak times. I'm working to get a ping test done using test@test and a normal login to clearly show that it is not the line but haven't got the timing right yet since it isn't happening all of the time. If someone could capture such a test it would be helpful.

ping -n 100 -l 1000 YourGatewayIP

for both test@test and your normal login (ideally back to back) with the date and time. Save the log for both and send them to TSI Martin (and post them here too).

One question: Where is the test@test gateway? The remote, the CO or somewhere else?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to torobull123

Hey guys, I had a look on our end... there isn't a single link that has any congestion... whatever is going on is something other than on our end.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

InvalidError

reply to Phibian

said by Phibian:

One question: Where is the test@test gateway? The remote, the CO or somewhere else?

test@test is the BRAS (the equipment that handles PPPoE termination for Bell's internet subscribers, forwards PPPoE session authentications to 3rd-party ISPs and routes PPPoE session to them over L2TP afterward) or somewhere nearby.

The BRAS would be located in a CO but not necessarily yours since a single BRAS can handle more traffic than what most COs generate.

InvalidError

reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

Hey guys, I had a look on our end... there isn't a single link that has any congestion... whatever is going on is something other than on our end.

That's weird.

I reset my PPPoE session last night after posting those results and my speedtest went from 1.5Mbps to 3.8Mbps and pingtest jitter dropped from 41ms to 26ms which seems to indicate there still was some congestion-like 'something' happening, just not as bad.

Like others who are seeing this nightly DSL slowdown, everything looks perfectly fine during the day...

(Same PPPoE session that was giving me 3.8Mbps and 26ms jitter last night.)

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

yeah.. I just dont see it on my end.

we need to figure out what it is though. not cool that you guys are seeing that.

I'll get the gang to follow up with you and see what we can do.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON

said by TSI Marc:

I'll get the gang to follow up with you and see what we can do.

I hope this can all get worked out; 200ms first-hop latency makes VoIP nearly impossible. I have a thread in the direct forum that's been peered at by 9 of your staff with plenty of traceroutes and stuff if that helps.

As if you didn't have enough stuff to keep you guys busy already!

Phibian

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Marc

Definitely something going on but I appreciate that you need to be able to see it to fix it.

If it is
-not the local lines (doesn't appear to be as stats are good and RCO is 35%)
-not the link from remote to CO (doesn't appear to be if test@test is working)
-not the AGAS
what is left?

-ERX?
-Core switches?
-Peering setup?

I'm game to test whatever I can (I've got two lines so I'm happy to take one down and run tests on it with a spare login) just let me know what is useful.

I've also got smokeping graphs that I'm happy to share if anyone wants.

InvalidError

The night I was getting some 200+ms results on pingtest/speedtest I was seeing the same ~200ms first-hop on traceroute. Pinging the test@test gateway (x.x.x.1) was fine (16ms, no packet loss) so the problem must be somewhere between Bell's BRAS and TSI's ERX.

Speedtest is currently normal but pingtest is a little wobbly tonight...

chex383

join:2003-03-13
Montreal, QC
reply to squircle

Hi:

I am in Montreal on VDSL, and I am having the same issues. I am posting in the Direct forum with support, but they are looking at my upstream high line-noise as being the issue, it so is not. I get 25MB in the mornings, then at nite, I see speeds like this:

I am going to do another test with a bell login in the evenings and check speed there to see if I see the same slow-down. 99% hunch I will not.

My internet is redicously slow at these hours, and I cannot even make a phone call, as VOIP is my only voice system that works well at home. (PublicMobile barely gets into my apartment) .

Frustrated, Stefan
--
Sung to the old New England Telephone Ad Jingle: " We're the only one New Eng-Lund, Hell-Ri-zon Tele-phonnnnne! "

RobinK

join:2004-04-16
Canada
reply to torobull123

I am on 25mbps and can barely pull 1mpbs download right now. I switch to my b1 login and everything is perfect.

This is pathetic. I cannot even watch a 240p stream on twitchtv using my teksavvy login.
--
Argue opinions using facts. Not facts using opinions.

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
reply to torobull123

This seems... Less than ideal.

How do we move forward to get this fixed?

chex383

join:2003-03-13
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

reply to chex383

HI there, so tonight I played with different logins, and I figured out the issue.

I use the IPv6 TSI login '@hsiservice.net' to get connected via PPPOE. When I switched to using the standard V4-only login ' @teksavvy.com ', and did a speed test, my speeds were MUCH better, and my pings almost normal. So the issue for me was that V6 login is overloaded, and TSI needs to figure out the bandwidth on that login. for now I will use the standard login until they get that fixed.

Regards, Stefan
--
Sung to the old New England Telephone Ad Jingle: " We're the only one New Eng-Lund, Hell-Ri-zon Tele-phonnnnne! "