nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

nightdesigns

Premium Member

Protecting fiber ends

I have a 500' 4 pair cable that I use for temporary setups. The main cable jacket covers most of the cable except for 2 feet at each end which are the individual cables and ends. Any ideas on what to use to protect this part of the cable?. I was thinking some techflex or something like it along with something rigid inside. Ideas are appreciated.

Thanks
cmslick3
join:2004-05-24
Joliet, IL

cmslick3

Are you trying to protect it while deployed or in storage?

If it's a deployment I would suggest some innerduct. I would tape it to the outer jacket of the main cable and just leave enough of the ends exposed to make your connections. You could even go as far as using fiber jumpers and barrels. Connect the barrels to your 500' section of fiber, connect the jumpers, then slide the inner duct over all of this just leaving the jumpers exposed.

This way the likely damage point is a jumper and not your 500' cable.
Uraki
Uraki
Premium Member
join:2003-06-22
Belle Plaine, KS

Uraki to nightdesigns

Premium Member

to nightdesigns
You could try something like this
»www.hyperline.com/catalo ··· ox.shtml
I've also seen smaller, plastic boxes for wall mounting that let you do strain-relief on the sheathed fiber...then you connect the fiber ends to the plate and use fiber patch cords from the box to your equipment.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

nightdesigns

Premium Member

Update on this, it's essentially a 500' patch cable used for temporary runs and then coiled back up when done.

I ended up putting tecflex covering the tails and ends along with a piece of coax cable that is somewhat rigid to keep things straight.

Seems to work pretty well.