Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to AngryDallas

Re: AT&T Switching me to UVerse without my permission!

Do you know if yours is a CO connection? A changeover within the CO should have minimum downtime. It shouldn't take over 15 minutes to disconnect from the ADSL equipment, and connect to the IPDSLAM equipment. I did not go from ADSL to IPDSLAM, but I did go from AT&T ADSL to Sonic.net, LLC ADSL2+. The change took place within the CO, and I did not even notice much. My modem DSL light went red, so I rebooted the modem. The DSL light started flashing green, then went solid when it locked sync. One moment I was on ADSL, the next on ADSL2+. I did have to change my router; AT&T ADSL uses PPPoE, Sonic.net ADSL2+ uses DHCP. I could use the same modem (in fact, I set up the Sonic.net ADSL2+ modem before the change; it was able to sync to ADSL).

For a U-verse change, I expect you will have to change the modem; but if the transition is as smooth as mine, when the ADSL modem loses sync, pull it out and put in the IPDSLAM modem.

Alas, the IPDSLAM modem is not a pure modem, but a "Residential Gateway". I don't know how to configure it to work with a router; but there are threads in the forum on that subject.

I can't be upbeat about the billing; remember, SBC bought AT&T. So SBC management philosophy permeates the corporation. Billing has always been a sore point for SBC; expect trouble.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

AngryDallas

join:2010-12-06
Dallas, TX
I don't know what a CO connection is.

I was told by that lady that there will be no downtime but knowing AT&T track history on Uverse, from what I read in the Uverse forum of this website, I hope I won't be unlucky like many others.

I am also worried now, again from reading the other people's posts in the Uverse forum, that I will get double billed and then I have to do the same 3 months long song and verse of multiple telephone calls to get it adjusted.

I wonder if I can still call them back and cancel the order but then, they may want to charge me a termination fee and still send me a bill for Uverse.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
CO is Central Office; basically a facility which houses switching equipment, among other stuff. My change was made on CO gear, so I just wanted it out there that my experience did not extend to remote terminals (might, but I don't have that experience).

Unless there is a problem in the plant, the change shouldn't be troublesome.

Billing will be the big headache. SBC could never seem to get it right if the customer added, or deleted services. I felt fairly lucky when the DSL speed upgrade went through without a billing hitch.

If the order has been placed, canceling will not guaranty a billing problem escape. If anything, you will get double billed, cancel or not.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

AngryDallas

Dallas, TX
I called to cancel but they (Migration) are telling me DSL in my area is going away after January.

If I don't get UVerse now, when DSL goes away and I decide to get it, I will have to pay the activation fee, installation fee and the price of the modem.

Right now they are waiving all those fees.

Of course knowing my past experience with AT&T, they maybe just saying that to get me to stay with UVerse.

So I guess I am stuck with UVerse.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
What version of U-Verse are they trying to move you to? AT&T has 2 version, IPDSL and U-Verse with TV.

Also in some areas, yes it is Fiber Optic, direct to the home, but its limited areas.

If you don't want to take the U-Verse route and upgrade and are happy with the slower speeds, I would suggest you sign up with a reseller/wholesaller and convert over to them. By doing so, AT&T still has to provide you with the DSL until they can remove that reseller from the network.

AngryDallas

Dallas, TX
I am just going from DSL with no home phone service, the Elite 6MB to UVerse Internet only, same 6MB download speed and the upload speed will increase to 1MB from 768kb/sec

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
Sounds like you're on IPDSL then. And if you don't want to switch then you need to order a phone line from AT&T- a basic metered line would do it and call a reseller/local ISP to do business with and get your 6meg without switching. But you will be required to do a share-line account since ISPs are not allowed to sell dry line DSL any longer.

AngryDallas

Dallas, TX

1 edit
The modem arrived today.

It's a 3600HGV and it's almost as high as my PC tower.

Are you sure this is the right thing?

Shouldn't (with the advances in new technologies) it be getting smaller instead of getting bigger?