spc
uniqs
ltm320
join:2002-02-24
Milwaukee, WI

ltm320 to Radisc359

to Radisc359

Re: Defective SB6141 Modem?

I am having some similar issues. I have RR .. had the SB51xx modem and purchased a SB6141, got it 4 days ago.

While my SB51xx was rock solid for years, the SB6141 is terrible and is rebooting itself every 1-3 hours or so. The signal levels all seem fine, according to Motorola's specs. -- Plus, hey. the old cable modem was perfect for years, although it was docsis 2, and the sb6141 is 3.

I did an online chat with RR's tech support .. the guy said "you have old firmware, go to Moto and install newer." I didn't think that was right, since Moto doesn't have firmware on their site and believed firmware needed to be pushed by the ISP. He didn't believe me. I verified this with Moto, naturally.

Question: Someone with a SB6141, can you tell me what your firmware is? Here's my info from »192.168.100.1/cmHelp.htm

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.3-SCM03-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.
Hardware Version: 7.0

Firmware Build Time: Aug 18 2011 10:27:53

The bigger question is .. if I get them to push a new firmware .. will that even help? It's really maddening how often it is rebooting .. I think it's the log entry "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out" that puts it into a death spiral.
Emiya
join:2006-03-30
Southington, OH

Emiya

said by ltm320:

I am having some similar issues. I have RR .. had the SB51xx modem and purchased a SB6141, got it 4 days ago.

While my SB51xx was rock solid for years, the SB6141 is terrible and is rebooting itself every 1-3 hours or so. The signal levels all seem fine, according to Motorola's specs. -- Plus, hey. the old cable modem was perfect for years, although it was docsis 2, and the sb6141 is 3.

I did an online chat with RR's tech support .. the guy said "you have old firmware, go to Moto and install newer." I didn't think that was right, since Moto doesn't have firmware on their site and believed firmware needed to be pushed by the ISP. He didn't believe me. I verified this with Moto, naturally.

Question: Someone with a SB6141, can you tell me what your firmware is? Here's my info from »192.168.100.1/cmHelp.htm

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.3-SCM03-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.
Hardware Version: 7.0

Firmware Build Time: Aug 18 2011 10:27:53

The bigger question is .. if I get them to push a new firmware .. will that even help? It's really maddening how often it is rebooting .. I think it's the log entry "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out" that puts it into a death spiral.

Same firmware, similar issue although mine is only with heavy upload. Second tech that came out found a noise issue on the main line down the road on Thursday. Linemen came out on Friday and did some work but the issue still persists.

I've gotten the same runaround with firmware as well. They swear they cannot push firmware to a customer owned modem.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to ltm320

Premium Member

to ltm320
I have that same firmware and it has been working perfect since March or April when I activated it. Our of curiosity, does your modem show any upstream bonding?

One of the modem errors (possibly the t3) causes the modem to reboot after so many of them in a row. Someone better versed in the errors can confirm.
ltm320
join:2002-02-24
Milwaukee, WI

ltm320

said by swintec:

I have that same firmware and it has been working perfect since March or April when I activated it. Our of curiosity, does your modem show any upstream bonding?

Looking at the admin menus, I think the answer to your question is no .. there's only one upstream channel bonded (#4) .. where there are 4 channels in the downstream "bonding" table.

Got TWC coming out in a few hours. Hope they find something, or I'll need to return this modem, get a new one.
Fleeced
join:2012-10-06

Fleeced to Emiya

to Emiya
CSRs do not have the ability to push firmware to an internet modem. This is an automated process they have no control over. The only time they can push firmware is for the phones.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

" The only time they can push firmware is for the phones. "

A CSR can not push firmware period.

Hob
Radisc359
join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

1 edit

Radisc359

Well more random uncorrectable and correctable jumps, seems the transmit went down by 1dB to 42dBmV its usually 43-44, it is very cold today as well, but I keep getting sporadic jumps in codewords by at least a million, no packet loss that I know of and it causes a single T3. My modem has only been on for 2 days. TV seems to have random correctable and uncorrectable error jumps but I can't point my finger at when it happens it just does. A tier 3 agent actually said my signal was 10dBmV and 31dBmV with a lot of errors but my modem showed 6 and 43 so I had nothing done about it. I may try switching back to the cable I made, but I don't think it should be doing this. I think that something is wrong outside of my house.
P.s. »dl.dropbox.com/u/3834836 ··· rors.PNG I woke up to a log full of these errors a few days ago which forced my modem to reboot.