share rss forum feed

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:79

4 edits

4 recommendations

[IPv6] Troubleshooting Comcast IPv6 (Start Here)

Router Support
Ok lets begin with the cable modems page that shows the DOCSIS\MDD override setting.

Arris looks likes something like this:
DHCP Attempts to obtain CM IP Address:
IPv4 Attempt(s) 3
IPv6 Attempt(s) 0

MDD IP mode Override Mode=0;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

some others say MDD or MIMO setting.

All these settings are for the CM side\DOCSIS side\CM Management side of the cable modem. It doesnt mean anything to the user other then the MSO is using IPv4 or IPv6 to manage your cable modem.

First check for cable modem support
You will need to make sure your cable modem supports CPE IPv6. Go here to check for support:
»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/?s=i&so···1&sc=513
Make sure your cable modem has a check box in the IPv6 tab.

Next to check if you have native IPv6 via Comcast or not.

If you have a desktop that supports DHCPv6 plug in the desktop directly into the cable modem and see if you get a IPv6 address. Here is a small list of OS's I know that support DHCPv6; Windows Vista\7, Latest version of MAC OS, and Linux I got a version of fedora dhcp client to work.

Plug in the OS and A) look at the interface for an IP that starts with 2001:558:[something] or b) goto »test-ipv6.comcast.net/ this will show you both your IPv4 address and your IPv6 address.

If you still dont know you can PM me your cable modem MAC Address (HFC MAC) and I can check on this for you.

Router Support

This is not as easy, Comcast requires DHCPv6 and DHCPv6-PD for router support. Maybe if people post here what routers they got to support maybe we can help out each other..

The router WAN will get a v6 address of 2001:558:[something] and the Prefix Delegation or PD will get 2601:[something]

Please take a look at the picture I have included..

Don't block all ICMPv6 (for the adv users)
I am a big fan of blocking everything and opening only what I really want. But v6 uses ICMPv6 messages to talk ND's, RA's. If you block all ICMPv6 traffic you will block the important communication to get your DHCPv6 address and PD.

Personally I have a Cisco router, I have the link-local address of my CMTS permited for ICMPv6 in the first line of my ACL.

You get a v6 address on both your LAN and WAN but no workie

From the command line do a traceroute or tracert to www.google.com like this:

C:\Users\tuska>tracert www.google.com

Tracing route to www.google.com [2607:f8b0:400f:800::1012]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 4 ms 5 ms * 2001:558:(something)::1
2 5 ms 4 ms 5 ms 2001:558:(something)::1
**removed for space**
8 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms xe-5-1-0-0-pe01.910fifteenth.co.ibone.comcast.net [2001:558:0:f8b3::2]
9 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms 2001:559::55e
10 7 ms 6 ms 7 ms 2001:4860::1:0:24db
11 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms 2001:4860:0:1::591
12 7 ms 22 ms 6 ms den03s05-in-x12.1e100.net [2607:f8b0:400f:800::1012]

Trace complete.

If you don't see the first hop check your default route on your desktop, make sure your seeing the RA's.

If you don't see the second hop make sure you router is seeing the default route. (this has been known to be an issue)

If you have a default route but your still not getting past the second hop reset both your router and your cable modem. The CMTS needs to see the DHCP request to add your v6 prefix route back to you. So kicking off a DHCPv6 release\renew from your router should fix this. If you tried the reset and still can't get it ping Comcast at this point.

Questions
Please post here with any questions but if you want me to check for v6 in your service area PM me your cable modem MAC.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO

1 edit

Routers I know people have used:

Cisco IOS
ASUS RT-N66U
Linksys E4200v2
TomatoUSB with workarounds (see below)

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA
reply to NetDog

The HFC MAC address?

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO

Yep..

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
reply to NetDog

Thanks for the explanation.

Your picture of the Home router /128 WAN Interface shows a /64 IP address?

My router is m0n0wall v1.8.1b535.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

I agree, thanks for the detailed explanation.

said by graysonf:

I'm currently running Smoothwall Express 3.x, and I know that version does not support IPv6 at all. Doing some research on their forums, it looks like there won't be an official version that does. However, there might be a user mod that will, but I am not 100% positive of that.

So, I'm wondering how m0n0wall compares to Smoothwall, as far as installation and functionally? If I have to change flavors of Linux/Unix to support IPv6, I'll do it, but I don't want to drastic of a change.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

I know next to nothing about Smoothwall so I can't offer any comparison to m0n0wall.

Depending on the hardware you are running Smoothwall on, you could try m0n0wall and see if you like it or not.

They have a Live CD and all you need to store the configuration on is a USB stick or floppy disk. It won't touch your hard drive.

If you don't like it, toss the CD and erase the USB stick. If you do like it you can install it to hard drive.

I run mine on a Compact Flash Drive on headless hardware.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to PeeWee

said by PeeWee:

The HFC MAC address?

That's the specific *Hybrid Fiber Coax* MAC address that is needed for a modem to be able to be provisioned for service / registered on their system.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
reply to NetDog

I'm just guessing that the northwest (WA, OR,etc) is still on hold?

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to graysonf

said by graysonf:

Thanks for the explanation.

Your picture of the Home router /128 WAN Interface shows a /64 IP address?

True I will change that and repost.. I was thinking /128 of a /64 space, but will correct and repost it.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

I'm just guessing that the northwest (WA, OR,etc) is still on hold?

We are working on the Cisco 10K's, here is a quote from »www.comcast6.net/ "IPv6 has been launched on all Arris DOCSIS 3.0 C4 CMTSes, covering over 50% our network. We are targeting completion of the rest of the network by mid-2013."

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

Ok, We were once told sept 2012, then december-ish.

It's odd that cisco devices weren't better prepared to upgrade given their involvement in IPv6 (and other networky things )

they do have a cool map tracking world progress
»6lab.cisco.com/stats/index.php

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

Well, since we're jibbing Cisco, I think it's ironic the one's who often indirectly claim to be the leaders in networking are the ones slackin' on IPv6...

Arty50
Premium
join:2003-10-04
reply to NetDog

Just saw this. I'll repost my findings from the other thread here. Many thanks to NetDog for all the help.

I couldn't get IPv6 working with my RT-N66U. I knew IPv6 was enabled in my neighborhood thanks to NetDog, and it was working fine when my computers were hooked directly to the modem. So the next step was to look at the router. I was on version 260 of the firmware, and even tried downgrading to 220 I believe. Neither worked. So I switched a Merlin build of the ASUS firmware (246.20) and everything is working perfectly now.

You can get the Merlin builds here:
»www.lostrealm.ca/tower/node/79

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to NetDog

I opened this one because a lot of people are asking the same questions. I am hoping I can answer the questions along with educating others.

Arty50
Premium
join:2003-10-04

Yeah, it's a great idea. It'll be nice to have one consolidated discussion on this.

Dan2112

join:2001-08-24
San Jose, CA
reply to NetDog

I have a Motorola 6121 and an ASUS RT-AC66U with the latest Merlin build and IPV6 works for me on Windows 8 and VirtualBox Ubuntu 12.04 Linux Guest.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to NetDog

And for folks running routers that use TomatoUSB, you'll need these workarounds (no they are still not in any of the Toastman, Shibby, etc. builds):

»[IPv6] TomatoUSB and Comcast IPv6 -- bugs found
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to NetDog

Thanks, NetDog See Profile. And thanks to Johkal See Profile for linking to this topic in a FAQ entry so people can find it again long after the topic scrolls.

»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »Troubleshooting Comcast IPv6

--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
reply to NetDog

Linksys E4200v2

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO

1 recommendation

reply to NetDog

I added two more sections..

Don't block all ICMPv6 (for the adv users)

You get a v6 address on both your LAN and WAN but no workie

derekivey

join:2006-03-30
San Jose, CA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to NetDog

pfSense supports IPv6. I'm currently using it with a HE tunnel. I know it does DHCP-PD too.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

I went ahead and switched my firewall from Smoothwall to pfSense.

However, I'm not sure how to configure it to pull both a IPv4 and an IPv6 IP from Comcast. I have verified that my area is "IPv6 Ready" by connecting my Windows 7 desktop directly to my cable modem (Arris TM722G/CT), and I do a IPv6 IP back (2001:558:xxxx).

However, I don't see that inside the configuration of PFSense. I check the box " Allow IPv6" on the "System: Advanced: Networking" tab. Once I did that, I did reboot both my PFSense box, and my cable modem.

However, I still only get one IP (an IPv4 one). This is from the "Status: Interfaces" screen on the WAN interface.

If more information is needed, just ask!

Thanks!

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by plencnerb:

However, I'm not sure how to configure it to pull both a IPv4 and an IPv6 IP from Comcast. I have verified that my area is "IPv6 Ready" by connecting my Windows 7 desktop directly to my cable modem (Arris TM722G/CT), and I do a IPv6 IP back (2001:558:xxxx).

Are you running the 2.1 branch?

1. Interfaces > WAN
2. For 'IPv6 Configuration Type' select 'DHCP6'
3. For 'DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation size' select '64', apply
4. Interfaces > LAN
5. For 'IPv6 Configuration Type' select 'Track Interface'
6. For 'IPv6 Interface' select WAN.
7. For 'IPv6 Prefix ID' enter '0', apply
8. Reboot!

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

said by whfsdude:

Are you running the 2.1 branch?

Looks like I'm not. I thought I was, but according to the information on my dashboard, I got this

2.0.1-RELEASE (i386)
built on Mon Dec 12 17:53:52 EST 2011
FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE-p6

Where can I download the 2.1 branch from? I did not see it on their download page.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by plencnerb:

Looks like I'm not.

»snapshots.pfsense.org/

Edit:
32-bit CD:
»snapshots.pfsense.org/FreeBSD_RE···4.iso.gz

64-bit CD: »snapshots.pfsense.org/FreeBSD_RE···4.iso.gz

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Well alright then! Time to burn another CD and try again!

Unless, there is a way to upgrade from 2.0.1 to 2.1, without doing a full re-install.

--Brian

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by plencnerb:

Unless, there is a way to upgrade from 2.0.1 to 2.1, without doing a full re-install.

In theory, yes. But I'd do a full reinstall to avoid any possible problems.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Sounds like a plan. The initial install did not take long at all. So, I should have no problems doing it again with this version.

Thanks!

--Brian

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to NetDog

Don't forget about the Linksys E900, E1200, E4200v1, EA4500, and EA6500 that I've tested and have verified works correctly.