uniqs
share rss forum feed

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10
reply to silbaco

Re: [WildBlue] Wildblue announces speed upgrades for Legacy cust

said by silbaco:

Seems like a good move for customers, but a bad business move. Typically when you have a newer product, you do not make improvements to the older one.

By making their product superior to the competition, HughesNet, they encourage customers to stay with Wildblue. Because no one can get the legacy service anymore, they are not encouraging HughesNet customers to switch to Wildblue. After years of poor service, they are trying to retain customers.

However, I still dislike this high speed combined with a low usage cap. On November 30, I almost blew over my limit because I forget that the flatline starts at 2 am MST instead of 1 am like it does when daylight savings time is active. In less than an hour I download about 1 GB before the meter froze about 100 MB below my limit. If I had started downloading 5 minutes sooner, I would have been FAPed. It is too easy to make mistakes with this speed.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
said by Spice300:

said by silbaco:

Seems like a good move for customers, but a bad business move. Typically when you have a newer product, you do not make improvements to the older one.

By making their product superior to the competition, HughesNet, they encourage customers to stay with Wildblue. Because no one can get the legacy service anymore, they are not encouraging HughesNet customers to switch to Wildblue. After years of poor service, they are trying to retain customers.

However, I still dislike this high speed combined with a low usage cap. On November 30, I almost blew over my limit because I forget that the flatline starts at 2 am MST instead of 1 am like it does when daylight savings time is active. In less than an hour I download about 1 GB before the meter froze about 100 MB below my limit. If I had started downloading 5 minutes sooner, I would have been FAPed. It is too easy to make mistakes with this speed.

From a business stand point though, the customers on Wildblue are holding back progress of Exede. They need to take more people off of Wildblue so they can put more people on Exede 5 or better yet, increase the speeds of Exede 5 and make Exede 12 available everywhere. Making Wildblue speeds faster will slow down the migration of customers.

Hughes should not be a concern of Viasat´s at this point. Hughes seems to have a reputation lately of doing everything the wrong way.

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10
I am not sure if the older satellites, Anik-F2 and WB-1, are capable of 12 Mb/s. That would be over 10 times the average speed of the Wildblue accounts and they can not repoint the spot beams.
--
Wildblue Value Pack, beam 31, Riverside gateway

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
kudos:1
said by Spice300:

I am not sure if the older satellites, Anik-F2 and WB-1, are capable of 12 Mb/s.

During primetime, no....Exede is using WiMax protocol and AcceleNet compression, so in off peak times, it is possible to see 12 Mb/s, and higher; YMMV.