how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

matt1101

join:2012-02-29
Lethbridge, AB

[AB] Southern Alberta Internet speeds?

So I had this issue about 8 months ago where internet usage was piratically unbearable and it's back again.

Shaw of course is convinced it's on my end, however last time it was on their end and I'm pretty darn sure it is again.

I've tried bypassing the splitter, power cycling, swapping all cables, but this has no effect.

With a wired connection, no other network traffic, these are my results:

How is this 100MBPS?

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw

Keep booking techs, until they can confirm it is a known issue, then get the incident number they have for it (I forget the term Shaw uses).

Other than that, book techs to arrive as close to the time this is happening as possible, if it happens all the time, that is eaiser...
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

matt1101

Lethbridge, AB

Haha true enough. I've had about one day in the last week where a speed test reports higher than 20mbps - so unless it's fixed within the next week, the issue should still be present:).

How are the speeds up in Calgary these days?

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

Starting to get slow in the evenings again, but still acceptable, I usually see ~85 yesterday afternoon was getting 92
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

molfert

join:2002-02-19
Calgary, AB
reply to matt1101

I have been told there is an major upgrade in Lethbridge on Dec 6.

saberon

join:2011-05-27

Yeah Lethbridge is due for the DNU anytime now...BB100 is still the max here.

My speeds have been perfect though.

matt1101

Lethbridge, AB
reply to molfert

Hopefully this happens... They've been saying this would happen for the last 18 months.

If we have improved speeds after the 6th, i'll be quite thankful however, though I'm not holding my breath at this time.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2

said by matt1101:

Hopefully this happens...

It'll happen. :P

harrasment10

join:2012-11-28
reply to matt1101

I dont know but I would kill to get that kind of asymetrical data throughput and awesome ping. Is it going out or going in? I guess thats what happens when you get too good.

Maybe its a filter problem? Maybe you need a booster or attenuator? I seriously think that the shaw network has recently gone down the tubes of late.

What you need is a loop thats easy to pick up , not heavy and overall latency and ping is around 70ms.

What I have here is a slightly used malibu it was owned by the cogento ceo for 9 months and a new set of 24's. Have a good look under the hood. kick the tires.

In calgary I have a 170 gig bermease cloned interceptor " George Michael " owned it...! I dont buy GM any more but still domestic.

If you wait long enough a car out of losangelus or chicago usually starts me and it flys up to 100% capacity in minutes.... In some cases nearly 2 weeks.........................yeah I have no idea I guess you did it to yoruself.

I wonder whats happening at shaw there I am hearing rumours its turnign into slowtown .

ravenchilde

said by harrasment10:

I wonder whats happening at shaw there I am hearing rumours its turnign into slowtown .

Not likely.

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
reply to matt1101

Still looks good to me

matt1101

Lethbridge, AB

Luck you're getting those speeds up in Beaumont.

Unfortunately down here in Lethbridge it's been very frustrating. I can only dream of 21.5 mb/s down:P

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

said by matt1101:

Luck you're getting those speeds up in Beaumont.

Unfortunately down here in Lethbridge it's been very frustrating. I can only dream of 21.5 mb/s down:P

yeah it was a little slow. usually im around 26-28MB/s

matt1101

Lethbridge, AB

Lucky as I said.

with shaw speedtest, direct connect to the modem, through three different OS's (separate connections, power cycling each time also) I'm hitting about 3.94-5.25 mbps or 392.5 KB/s. Though I must say I was pretty excited when I hit 22.5 for one test last nigh, though it didn't last long.

That is, in my opinion, unacceptable for a 100mbps package.

hdpoint
Lethbridge, Alberta

join:2009-03-02
Canada
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to molfert

said by molfert:

I have been told there is an major upgrade in Lethbridge on Dec 6.

Happening at this moment...

westLethShaw

@shawcable.net

Hey gang it would be nice if they were to finally upgrade Lethbridge
how do we know that they are doing upgrades in Lethbridge -through what official channel is this info coming from

Expand your moderator at work

ravenchilde

reply to westLethShaw

Re: [AB] Southern Alberta Internet speeds?

said by westLethShaw :

Hey gang it would be nice if they were to finally upgrade Lethbridge

Tonight buddy.

Baud1200

join:2003-02-10
Reviews:
·Shaw

2 edits
reply to matt1101

Click for full size
Finally Proper upload speed.
They recently (late Dec 3 or early 4'th) did something in South Edmonton, seems that connecting to outside of the Shaw network is much better. Was talking with Alex and Nathan about it a while back so its likely they might have gotten to the bottom of the issue. Getting now proper upload speeds for the first time since the U250 package was installed. Hopefully your area is getting the same upgrades done, can always contact Alex and inquire about it.

If it can stay like this I will be more than happy with Shaw's service.

matt1101

Lethbridge, AB

It appears the service is now much better. So the DNU must have occurred, finally. Only one year late.

Hopefully it will remain relatively consistent.

andyboy157

@shawcable.net

Man, I really wish they would upgrade Jasper... I can't get better than 50 here! That being said, it's 8:00pm here and I'm getting 45 of that 50 down!