Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

anhloc

join:2009-12-11
Canada
reply to JammerMan79

Re: High Speed 50/Optik 50 FAQs

I've only seen one example where the bonding has actually been nearly double, but it wasn't in Edmonton or Prince George. /wahwahnoise
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

anhloc

join:2009-12-11
Canada
reply to anhloc

Confirmed that HS/Optik 50 plans will be reduced from 500GB to 400GB of usage come Feb 1, 2013.

South_of_22

join:2009-03-23

1 edit

said by anhloc:

Confirmed that HS/Optik 50 plans will be reduced from 500GB to 400GB of usage come Feb 1, 2013.

I can live with 400gigs per month.

With Netflix being the biggest bandwidth hog in our house, we use 350gigs on average per month. Less in summer months for obvious reasons.

I forget who posted it, and which thread it was, but someone said that one of the Telus reps they spoke to on the phone said one of the reasons for the reduction of monthly usage caps was also due to people pirating.

I guess everyone with a Netflix account is a pirate in Telus, Shaws, Bells, Eastlinks etc etc. eyes.

-------------------------------------

Honestly, Telus should offer data packages on top of the caps.

$10 for every 100gigs. and not $2per gig in overage charges (if they ever enforce it)

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02

said by South_of_22:

said by anhloc:

I can live with 400gigs per month.

With Netflix being the biggest bandwidth hog in our house, we use 350gigs on average per month. Less in summer months for obvious reasons.

I forget who posted it, and which thread it was, but someone said that one of the Telus reps they spoke to on the phone said one of the reasons for the reduction of monthly usage caps was also due to people pirating.

I guess everyone with a Netflix account is a pirate in Telus, Shaws, Bells, Eastlinks etc etc. eyes.

-------------------------------------

Honestly, Telus should offer data packages on top of the caps.

$10 for every 100gigs. and not $2per gig in overage charges (if they ever enforce it)

It's funny you say that as what's gonna happen when Netflix increases the quality of their streams or starts offering 4k streaming? Just because it works for you now doesn't mean the 500gb you were promised when you signed up won't be important and shouldn't be honoured.

South_of_22

1 edit

said by WhosTheBosch:

It's funny you say that as what's gonna happen when Netflix increases the quality of their streams or starts offering 4k streaming? Just because it works for you now doesn't mean the 500gb you were promised when you signed up won't be important and shouldn't be honoured.

I honestly would like to see 1TB per month as part of the HS50/Optik50 plan.

But you know that would never happen.

What's the point of offering faster and faster connections when the ISP's neuter the amount of data one is allowed to use per month.

IMHO I think it is just collusion amongst Canadian ISP's to force customers into crappy TV packages and ISP provided streaming content.

It is just their way of getting back at the customers who look elsewhere for streaming content (Netflix)

Onetwo

join:2009-04-14
Medicine Hat, AB
reply to anhloc

If any of this is enforced...

matt123

@telus.net
reply to WhosTheBosch

Well 400gb is much better then 250gb. But i guess the cap really does not matter much unless they start enforcing it.

yido12

@telus.net

I can only speak for myself, But they've enforced the cap on me 3 times in 2010 and 2011, Cutting my Internet of for the remainder of the Month all 3 times. Ever since then I haven't heard a peep

I got it back online a half month in the 2nd time being as nice as I could on Customer service since most of the times i was only 10 or 15 or so GB past the 100 cap

pb2k

join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to South_of_22

said by South_of_22:

Have you considered that you might be addicted to netflix? Perhaps TELUS is actually doing you a favour by lowering the caps.

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC
kudos:10
reply to yido12

said by yido12 :

I can only speak for myself, But they've enforced the cap on me 3 times in 2010 and 2011, Cutting my Internet of for the remainder of the Month all 3 times. Ever since then I haven't heard a peep

I got it back online a half month in the 2nd time being as nice as I could on Customer service since most of the times i was only 10 or 15 or so GB past the 100 cap

this has never been reported previously... I highly doubt it
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

South_of_22

reply to pb2k

said by pb2k:

Have you considered that you might be addicted to netflix? Perhaps TELUS is actually doing you a favour by lowering the caps.

Tell that to the 3 teenagers and their mom that live in the house.

You can say that to anyone who has a $80+ Optik tv package as well. 'Do you need all those stations to watch your stupid reality TV?' addicted much?

It's not an addiction, it's a supplement of services.
Just like being able to rent movies from XBOX Live or Cinemanow Canada. They all use up alot of bandwidth. If actual video stores existed anymore, would not be an issue.

Like what was posted before. How much data does HD Optik Tv use in an average household?

Anyway, the wife and I discussed that 'if' Telus does start to enforce bandwidth caps in 2013 and 'if' we do go over by alot, we might just get a 2nd DSL service installed as it would be cheaper then having to pay bandwidth overages. Hopefully it does not come to that.

Bauwoo

join:2003-12-07

1 edit

And you support them by paying for it, lol. You should be thanking Telus.

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
kudos:2
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to South_of_22

said by South_of_22 :

Anyway, the wife and I discussed that 'if' Telus does start to enforce bandwidth caps in 2013 and 'if' we do go over by alot, we might just get a 2nd DSL service installed as it would be cheaper then having to pay bandwidth overages. Hopefully it does not come to that.

Why not just get 25Mb dry loop / naked DSL with TekSavvy West. It will cost a bit more up-front since you have to purchase a modem and then the installer, being Tellus (per CRTC wholesale guidelines), rapes the end-user with a $99 install. Once you get over these hurdles you can deal with a company completely based in Canada that offers unlimited services. Sounds like you are in a bundle, you need to unbundle yourself.

JammerMan79
One of the high-end TSI DSL users in Alberta was cut off by Telus. It happens, but to throw Telus a bone, it has happened rarely.

--
Consumerist.com | Consumers Union

vanDSLuser
from Vancouver 2010
Premium
join:2004-07-28
White Rock, BC
reply to anhloc

I'm in Fort St John literally across the street from the CO. Telus's website is telling me Turbo is unavailable.

Is anyone able to qualify me to see if I can get HS50.. I want a better upload than Shaw is providing...

BadMagpie

join:2011-02-05
reply to anhloc

Here's a question, would the V2000h actually be able to give you a 100/20 connection if you gave it two 50/10 lines?

South_of_22

said by BadMagpie:

Here's a question, would the V2000h actually be able to give you a 100/20 connection if you gave it two 50/10 lines?

That would be nice if you could convince someone at Telus to enable/install it.

100/20 with 800gigs of bandwidth per month for $150/month.

But for that price, and if you are fortunate to have them in your area, you matter as well go with shaws unlimited plans for $45 more. Or with their Broadband 100+ plan for $95 per month.

If only they existed in all markets

BadMagpie

join:2011-02-05

This theoretical package ought to be priced closely to Shaw's 100 packages, since the caps themselves are moving toward what Shaw's offering anyway.

MrTelusMan

@telus.net
reply to anhloc

I live in Edmonton, I'd love to hear if anyone in Edmonton has managed to get the Optik 50 package yet? If I knew I could get it without jumping through hoops with Customer Service, I would sign up today.

WackyGaru

join:2009-02-10
Grande Prairie, AB
reply to vanDSLuser

I'm fairly certain that's correct as I don't think FSJ has the capabilities yet for the service. It should be coming in the future.

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC
kudos:10
reply to bbbc

said by bbbc:

said by South_of_22 :

Why not just get 25Mb dry loop / naked DSL with TekSavvy West. It will cost a bit more up-front since you have to purchase a modem and then the installer, being Tellus (per CRTC wholesale guidelines), rapes the end-user with a $99 install. Once you get over these hurdles you can deal with a company completely based in Canada that offers unlimited services. Sounds like you are in a bundle, you need to unbundle yourself.

JammerMan79
One of the high-end TSI DSL users in Alberta was cut off by Telus. It happens, but to throw Telus a bone, it has happened rarely.

Ahhh... so no TELUS customer was cut off, it happened on a resold connection
--

que_ball

join:2004-05-11
Edmonton, AB
reply to MrTelusMan

I'm booked for the upgrade on Friday. I am on HS25 now.

Checked on my v1000h and it says:
Max: Upstream rate = 13099Kbps, Downstream rate = 80188 Kbps

My connection with all that headroom has always been rock solid.

They told me someone needs to come out so we booked an appointment time. Seems to me like they don't really need to come out at all but whatever, will be an easy call for the tech.

Not sure why they think the truck roll is required, maybe they want to upsell me to TV.

parrelium

join:2005-07-31
Abbotsford, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS

I thought the same thing, but i did need the tech onsite for something. He called ahead to let me know i'd been provisioned while he was driving to my place, so I checked and was only getting 44 mbs down, and 6 up. After he re-attached the ground wire, and called back in i was up @ 53mbps down and 11 up.He was here 10 minutes in total, but i'm glad he was to make sure it was 100% on the first day.

MrTelusMan

@telus.net
reply to que_ball

Thanks for the update! I have since contacted them and it is available for me as well. Install for me is this Wednesday so I'll follow up to let everyone know how it goes.

FYI I was able to request the service and book an appointment through the Live chat, which was speedy and easy.

que_ball

join:2004-05-11
Edmonton, AB
reply to que_ball

My Maximum upstream and downstream rates have increased on the VDSL 17a profile now that I'm on HS50. So even more room to go faster in the future. Would really love that 50Mbps upload speed.

Max: Upstream rate = 52956 Kbps, Downstream rate = 142712 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 12287 Kbps, Downstream rate = 76382 Kbps

VancouverUse

@telus.net
reply to anhloc

They currently have a glitch where they can't upgrade accounts that have ETTS apparently. I guess some of will have to wait longer

WhosTheBosch

reply to anhloc

I'm just wondering why when going from the 8b to 17a profile I would be able to attain a lower download speed but triple my attainable upload speed? I went from 74 to 68 on download and 13 to 37 on the upload. Is this a profile error, should I call in to have it fixed? I have Optik TV as well if that makes a difference. I thought they were putting all Optik 50 users on the 72mb profile?

Optik 25

Optik 50

parrelium

Abbotsford, BC
reply to que_ball

Max: Upstream rate = 52956 Kbps, Downstream rate = 142712 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 12287 Kbps, Downstream rate = 76382 Kbps

parrelium

Abbotsford, BC
reply to que_ball

Am i doing something wrong, SSH doesnt work for me anymore. Has something changed with the actiontec firmware?

Just like to know what my line stats look like now on 17a...

WhosTheBosch

said by parrelium:

Am i doing something wrong, SSH doesnt work for me anymore. Has something changed with the actiontec firmware?

Just like to know what my line stats look like now on 17a...

Telus KEEPS removing any options from the Actiontech with additional firmware, so if you're on the .55 or .57 version chances are you're SOL. Telus really needs to offer a modem only option.

TierX

join:2009-01-20
Canada
kudos:8
reply to WhosTheBosch

said by WhosTheBosch:

I'm just wondering why when going from the 8b to 17a profile I would be able to attain a lower download speed but triple my attainable upload speed? I went from 74 to 68 on download and 13 to 37 on the upload. Is this a profile error, should I call in to have it fixed? I have Optik TV as well if that makes a difference. I thought they were putting all Optik 50 users on the 72mb profile?

Attainable means absolutely f**k all, your actual train rate when placed on an uncapped profile can vary from the attainable rate by at least 10-20%.

17A is used for Optik 50 as the loops are generally below 600m, where 17A will offer better performance than 8B. While 17A has an additional upstream and downstream band, it uses a lower transmit power (14.5dBm vs 18.6dBm for 8B) hence the power spectral density over the bands that are used is typically much less than 8B.

From 800-1200m the higher transmit power from 8B will usually result in a higher train rate. Finally, on loops over 1200m ADSL2+ (with a 19.8dBm launch power) will offer better rates than VDSL2 8B.