Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

que_ball

join:2004-05-11
Edmonton, AB
reply to MrTelusMan

Re: High Speed 50/Optik 50 FAQs

I'm booked for the upgrade on Friday. I am on HS25 now.

Checked on my v1000h and it says:
Max: Upstream rate = 13099Kbps, Downstream rate = 80188 Kbps

My connection with all that headroom has always been rock solid.

They told me someone needs to come out so we booked an appointment time. Seems to me like they don't really need to come out at all but whatever, will be an easy call for the tech.

Not sure why they think the truck roll is required, maybe they want to upsell me to TV.

parrelium

join:2005-07-31
Abbotsford, BC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TELUS

I thought the same thing, but i did need the tech onsite for something. He called ahead to let me know i'd been provisioned while he was driving to my place, so I checked and was only getting 44 mbs down, and 6 up. After he re-attached the ground wire, and called back in i was up @ 53mbps down and 11 up.He was here 10 minutes in total, but i'm glad he was to make sure it was 100% on the first day.

MrTelusMan

@telus.net
reply to que_ball

Thanks for the update! I have since contacted them and it is available for me as well. Install for me is this Wednesday so I'll follow up to let everyone know how it goes.

FYI I was able to request the service and book an appointment through the Live chat, which was speedy and easy.

que_ball

join:2004-05-11
Edmonton, AB
reply to que_ball

My Maximum upstream and downstream rates have increased on the VDSL 17a profile now that I'm on HS50. So even more room to go faster in the future. Would really love that 50Mbps upload speed.

Max: Upstream rate = 52956 Kbps, Downstream rate = 142712 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 12287 Kbps, Downstream rate = 76382 Kbps

VancouverUse

@telus.net
reply to anhloc

They currently have a glitch where they can't upgrade accounts that have ETTS apparently. I guess some of will have to wait longer

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02
reply to anhloc

I'm just wondering why when going from the 8b to 17a profile I would be able to attain a lower download speed but triple my attainable upload speed? I went from 74 to 68 on download and 13 to 37 on the upload. Is this a profile error, should I call in to have it fixed? I have Optik TV as well if that makes a difference. I thought they were putting all Optik 50 users on the 72mb profile?

Optik 25

Optik 50

parrelium

Abbotsford, BC
reply to que_ball

Max: Upstream rate = 52956 Kbps, Downstream rate = 142712 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 12287 Kbps, Downstream rate = 76382 Kbps

parrelium

Abbotsford, BC
reply to que_ball

Am i doing something wrong, SSH doesnt work for me anymore. Has something changed with the actiontec firmware?

Just like to know what my line stats look like now on 17a...

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02

said by parrelium:

Am i doing something wrong, SSH doesnt work for me anymore. Has something changed with the actiontec firmware?

Just like to know what my line stats look like now on 17a...

Telus KEEPS removing any options from the Actiontech with additional firmware, so if you're on the .55 or .57 version chances are you're SOL. Telus really needs to offer a modem only option.

TierX

join:2009-01-20
Canada
kudos:8
reply to WhosTheBosch

said by WhosTheBosch:

I'm just wondering why when going from the 8b to 17a profile I would be able to attain a lower download speed but triple my attainable upload speed? I went from 74 to 68 on download and 13 to 37 on the upload. Is this a profile error, should I call in to have it fixed? I have Optik TV as well if that makes a difference. I thought they were putting all Optik 50 users on the 72mb profile?

Attainable means absolutely f**k all, your actual train rate when placed on an uncapped profile can vary from the attainable rate by at least 10-20%.

17A is used for Optik 50 as the loops are generally below 600m, where 17A will offer better performance than 8B. While 17A has an additional upstream and downstream band, it uses a lower transmit power (14.5dBm vs 18.6dBm for 8B) hence the power spectral density over the bands that are used is typically much less than 8B.

From 800-1200m the higher transmit power from 8B will usually result in a higher train rate. Finally, on loops over 1200m ADSL2+ (with a 19.8dBm launch power) will offer better rates than VDSL2 8B.

parrelium

Abbotsford, BC

Even so, with the attainables around 120/50, doesnt that mean the lines are capable of ~100 down and 40 up? Another tier to compete with shaw..

BadMagpie

join:2011-02-05

I read somewhere on here that the highest attainable sync rate with PhyR turned on (with the V1000h's current firmware) is actually 76/12. Without PhyR, errors increase and ping times get ruined (i.e. going from 5 to 15+ ms).
I'm left wondering though if you can still have PhyR on with a more upload-weighted sync rate, like 40/25.

TierX

Canada
reply to parrelium

said by parrelium:

Even so, with the attainables around 120/50, doesnt that mean the lines are capable of ~100 down and 40 up? Another tier to compete with shaw..

No unfortunately; 76/12 is the most we can with physical layer retransmission via PhyR. G.inp will let us squeeze out another 10mbps or so, but that'll have to wait.

TierX

Canada
reply to BadMagpie

said by BadMagpie:

I read somewhere on here that the highest attainable sync rate with PhyR turned on (with the V1000h's current firmware) is actually 76/12. Without PhyR, errors increase and ping times get ruined (i.e. going from 5 to 15+ ms).
I'm left wondering though if you can still have PhyR on with a more upload-weighted sync rate, like 40/25.

In theory yes, that 90mbps aggregate with PhyR could be weighted any way we like. However in practice this would be very difficult, as offering much higher upstream rates gets risky due to upstream power back off.

Essentially, if we uncapped upstream rates, the subscribers on shorter loops who could get 30-40mbps upstream would completely knock out the U1 upstream band for subscribers on medium or longer loops; reducing those subscribers to only 1mbps upstream (just using the U0 upstream band, like with ADSL2+).

This is unfortunately due to the effects of far-end crosstalk, and while there is a way to fix this, you'll have to wait =).

ps3iscool

join:2012-12-27
reply to anhloc

When should we except to see 50MB to roll out in BC?

BadMagpie

reply to TierX

Make sense. Though from this document:

»www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&···&cad=rja

it looks like the 30a bandplan has an upstream channel going from 22 MHz all the way to 30 MHz. How much far-end crosstalk would there be if this entire band were used, with little of the other upstream bands, given that its frequencies are beyond anything 17a uses? (Feel free to feed me technical documents and explanations, I have a background in engineering)

TierX

Canada

said by BadMagpie:

It looks like the 30a bandplan has an upstream channel going from 22 MHz all the way to 30 MHz. How much far-end crosstalk would there be if this entire band were used, with little of the other upstream bands, given that its frequencies are beyond anything 17a uses? (Feel free to feed me technical documents and explanations, I have a background in engineering)

30A wouldn't help at all, it has the same problems as 17A (which has an additional upstream band that 8B doesn't). 30A's U3 band goes from 23-30mhz, which sounds great, but because the frequencies are so high they get no bitloading past about 150m (30A is only 100mbps symmetric at up to around 130m). At which point the upstream performance deteriorates to 'slightly better' than 17A.

30A uses a wider tone spacing (8.625khz) and twice the symbol rate (8 ksymbol/second), this coupled with the wider bandwidth causes the line card density to be reduced by 50% (additional FFT/iFFT logic is required on the line card DSP's). Thus reducing a 192 port DSLAM to 96 port. On the CPE side, the BCM6368 chipset supports 30A, but it requires an additional AFE and a different line driver to support single-line 30A mode. Hopefully, it's clear why 30A is almost never deployed in practice =).

If you want to learn how to remove far-end crosstalk, read some of John Cioffi's papers on vectoring:

»www.stanford.edu/group/cioffi/ds···pub.html

The ITU-T has standardized on G993.5 as a method to use linear precoding to remove far-end crosstalk on VDSL2.

BadMagpie

Real-time QR decompositions to remove crosstalk? That isn't going to help the DSLAM's power requirements is it?

How can vectoring be managed if there are one or more lines on the same cable are being offered by another ISP?

TierX

Canada

Thanks to process fabrication improvements, the additional power requirement from crosstalk cancellation isn't that bad.

The DSLAM's themselves will manage the vectoring automatically, the only requirement is wholesale ISP's will need to have G.vector compliant VDSL2 modems. In a situation where the ISP has their own DSLAM sharing a binder with another ISP's DSLAM, then vectoring won't be possible. Thankfully that doesn't happen on TELUS's FTTN network, as wholesale ISP's have always had access to our FTTN DSLAM's.

NorthVan

@telus.net

Called in yesterday and was upgraded to the 50mb service today, over the air (technician not required). Don't know how our complex is wired but the townhouse is brand new. Router is the ActionTec V1000H. Here are my speedtest results, over wireless:

Promotional price is $35 for the first six months, then $70/month. I also asked where I could view my usage online, and the rep told me that Telus doesn't enforce caps so not to worry. I've since discovered that the usage is printed on your monthly bill.

anhloc

join:2009-12-11
Canada
reply to anhloc

Just an update for some people:

As of Feb 1, 2013, the bandwidth allotment goes from the current 500.0GB to 400.0GB. Initially it was to go to 250.0GB, but it has been changed to 400.0GB.

/wtb post edit function
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

South_of_22

join:2009-03-23

said by anhloc:

Just an update for some people:

As of Feb 1, 2013, the bandwidth allotment goes from the current 500.0GB to 400.0GB. Initially it was to go to 250.0GB, but it has been changed to 400.0GB.

/wtb post edit function

Yup

bradlee

@telus.net

A surprise to me, called in and it was available in Lethbridge, AB for me. Been a while since Lethbridge and Telus have been current. Tech will be here Thursday

Surrey50

@shawcable.net

No Internet 50 in Surrey.

OMFGSURREY

@telus.net

Your right , it's not here in Surrey!! Hurry up Telus bring it to Surrey. WITH THE FATEST Download speed + upload.

Anno1978

@telus.net
reply to Surrey50

Bunch of nonsense.
Optik 50 is available to selected areas in Surrey.
You might just not be living in the area that this speed is available.

Get your facts right before posting such a statement.

Tornado15550

join:2012-12-16
Canada
reply to anhloc

When will loop bonding be available in Calgary?

anhloc

join:2009-12-11
Canada

One day. That's for the higher ups to figure out deployment dates.

Surrey50

@shawcable.net
reply to Anno1978

Your right. I live in one of those areas.

RWiebe

join:2002-11-27
T8W 5K5

2 edits
reply to anhloc

delete