join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

Taking a mini-break. Is this common?

Since I returned to the game back in April 2009, I have taken small breaks from the game every now and again. Last week I decided to take 2-3 weeks off and play Deus Ex Human Revolution and Battlefield 3 for a while.

Any of you take small mini-breaks through the course a few months?
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

bTU

join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO
Been playing since launch with one long and a few smaller breaks. Stopped when Naxx 40 dropped and came back just before T5 in TBC. Then a few times a year I'll take a week or so off just to get away, play something else, read, watch Star Trek episodes, or whatever else. I really should have taken one of those breaks before MoP dropped. I might not have felt so burnt out from leveling and seeing how bad the daily grind is.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
I took a minibreak at the end of WotlK and came back a year and something later at the end of Cata.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Nightfall
I've quit the game several times and apparently I've been back after a while. I quit once when my wife was pregnant and couldn't sit at a computer. That lasted for a while. We came back for a while and raided pretty heavy, but the content couldn't keep us interested, so we dropped. I've gotten back into it and I see our guild growing by the day. Most of it has been word of mouth.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Nightfall
Other than vacations I haven't taken a break. The closest I came was when I created my Horde set to see the game from that side. After I got bored with the Horde I switch back to my Alliance set and am currently playing them and see months of play time in my future. I currently have three level 90 toons and am working the rest of the group up, currently have three more to get to 88, not counting my monk who dinged 50 this weekend.

I have other games that I could play, but WoW occupies my spare time sufficiently. There is plenty to do, if I get bored I can just switch to a different aspect of the game.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE
thats the way i am too K, if i want to hit things with large weapons or pewpew with a magic wielder, or keep people alive i have toons to do it all, most break that i have taken is for holidays, game is great fun, currently i am melting faces as Mc puts with my spriest the changes they have made to that class has made it more fun to me now.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
"What happened in here?" " Seems to have been a bit of a squabble." "They're all dead!" " More of a tif then."

Rhenai

join:2010-09-07
Elkhorn, NE
kudos:1
reply to Nightfall
I used to log a lot of hours - every day in the eves, lots of weekend hours, since I started about 6 or so years ago; RL got in the way and I cancelled for a short while - did not think I would be back, but like any other addiction, just could not stay away. The Ironman challenge drew me back for a while, and now, trying to see the expansion with a new guild has me coming back. No where near the amount of hours I used to put in, but I keep coming back.
--
“Amor Fati – “Love Your Fate”, which is in fact your life.”

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Nightfall
I haven't played my Warlock since June 2011.

Blizzard sent me 10 days of free game time, so I logged in over the weekend.

I absolutely despise what they did to Warlocks. I literally had to spend an hour looking over everything to figure out what the hell they did and then to find out there's no more Shadow Bolt casting as Affliction?

I'm going play some more over the next week to try and get some more feel for it.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
Saint Paul, MN
said by Ghastlyone:

I haven't played my Warlock since June 2011...I absolutely despise what they did to Warlocks.

The patch right before MoP dropped changed the game in a major way. Once you figure out the changes you'll be fine. If you are looking for the old WoW, it is gone.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
reply to Nightfall
I foresee a lot of people quitting here in the coming weeks. We've recently lost 2-3 people to burnout and more raiders aren't bothering to do dailies anymore, it really is a mental drain.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
Saint Paul, MN
said by JB:

I foresee a lot of people quitting here in the coming weeks.

If you are only focused on one aspect of the game I can see getting bored and quitting. Having to grind rep to raid will upset a large number of people. Ran into my son's girlfriend yesterday on his account, she was doing his dailies as he hates questing.

Since that's not the way I play I haven't gotten bored enough to quit, and don't see it happening any time in the foreseeable future. I don't think that WoW is the be all end all in gaming, I look at it as a savings from the $60 and up a month I used to spend on computer games.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to JB
said by JB:

I foresee a lot of people quitting here in the coming weeks. We've recently lost 2-3 people to burnout and more raiders aren't bothering to do dailies anymore, it really is a mental drain.

I stopped doing dailies. I can grab gear from heroics and upgrade them to 471, which gets me into the 470 LFR. I can do regular raids for the rest. I can spend my valor points on rep that's easy to get, already have, or just upgrade my gear. With two toons that are above 470 ilevel and a third on the way, I'll probably not do anything other than pursue the legendary quest chain from now on. Tillers is different. I have a little unattainable goal of getting as many toons to Tillers-exalted as possible and then drumming up a massive amount of resources to craft and/or sell.

The damn guild keeps taking my spirits of harmony, but my DK can grind out about 1000 gold/day's worth of spirits for the auction house. If I could keep the farm up each day, I could be make tens of thousands of gold in a month.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Goldheart

join:2002-06-09
Ballston Spa, NY
reply to Nightfall
I am kind of burnt out on the game myself. I haven't quit but I have definitely drastically curtailed the time I spend playing.

Pretty disgusted with CRZ. My favorite thing to do was quest which is now near impossible on a PvP realm. With 5 kids it is pretty difficult to do instances and be fair to other players so that is pretty much out.

Not really in the mood to do dailies over and over every day either.

And farming has been nerfed. Not that that is exactly fun either.

So all that is left is LFR and raiding and I guess I haven't been in the mood for that much either lately.

xenograffiti

@unt.edu
reply to Nightfall
I've stopped playing several times since release. I hadn't played for a year before starting again with MoP. Wow definitely has highs and lows and Cata was a low imo. Other times I've just been too busy - if I can't devote at least 8-10 hours a week it doesn't makes sense to play.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
reply to Nightfall
I've only been playing since right before Cata but I've taken a couple mini breaks here and there. One was a 6 week stint this year right as summer and vacations were coming on. I logged back on to find I had lost my Raid spot with the guild's core group. In hindsight it was probably a good thing because it stopped my myopic focus on getting "the raid gear" or "farming for the raid". Each week was like grinding the axe of raids and never picking my head back up from the wheel. Now my time and focus is all over the place. I still have this inkling feeling that "I'm losing valuable time chasing the end game" but overall I think I'm much happier for it. Certainly not getting stressed about the dailies like so many others.

Then I took a couple weeks off before MoP. And my main is a warlock also Kilroy and at first I was frustrated like you that I had to take so much time to relearn everything, redo my reforgings, reassign talents, etc. But I got through it and still really enjoy the 'lock. I can't seem to stay partial to Aff or Destro and play them both about equally. Aff for questing and dungeons. Destro for PvP and soloing old raids. Now you might think I'm backwards with some of that... questing with Aff? I think it's the easier spec to manage and flows smoother for me. Destro for old raids? Not Aff AoE? Aff AoE still rules while in a group, but Destro actually has the better AoE when playing solo. There is a spell that syphons the life out of everything around and feeds it to you. I was having fun in Naxx this weekend getting as many spiders around me as possible and spamming that spell (which would keep me at full life). Also like you, I have a bunch of "mains" and they all take an hour or so to re-learn the first time. My current favorite lines up with Cymraeg... the Shadow Priest. Absolutely the most fun and versatile right now in my opinion. There wasn't a time I didn't (substantially) lead the DPS charts in the dungeons 80-85 (just dinged 85 at 1a this morning) and I was able to rock world PvP. I'm not much of a PvP'er but boy did I have a ball this weekend. Many times I walked away from a double team of equal levels. AND was able to run away safely from the lvl 90 gankers once they engaged (which is just as important!).

Damn... all this talk about it, now I need this work day to end so I can get back to melting faces! No WoW breaks in my foreseeable future right now!

jofos

join:2008-02-14
Irvington, AL
reply to Nightfall
I have taken lots of breaks over the years. My last break was ffrom April 2011 till October 2012. Thats the longest I have taken. Sometimes work and real life cause the breaks sometimes you just need a break.
With the current way things are done in te game I can certainly see a lot of people taking breaks. I actually like dailies or at least I use to. But with the mixture of the daily grind and valor caps it gets a little old. With the valor cap it seems like you are only getting part of which you earned so whats the point.
The good thing about WoW is that you can take a break, a week, a month, or a year and when you come back it doesn't take long to catch back up. Well at least it didn't before the addition of so many dailies.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
reply to Goldheart
Goldheart - I was big time discouraged with CRZ and questing at first also. What I've found is that Blizz's plan to pull people together is starting to work though. Now questing isn't bad at all because the General line is lighting up like never before. People either grouping together, keeping an eye out for each other, or at least throwing out some alerts of the opposite faction around. Definitely make use of the line and meet some new people and questing will be more fun than before as world PvP becomes part of it (at least that has been my experience, and I never liked world PvP before).

Or if you still want to play solo, go after some achievements and/or go after some mounts that are missing from your list and/or solo some old raid content. All fun stuff (though beware of the world PvP right before the Raid entrances. Fly in quick).

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to xenograffiti
said by xenograffiti :

I've stopped playing several times since release. I hadn't played for a year before starting again with MoP. Wow definitely has highs and lows and Cata was a low imo. Other times I've just been too busy - if I can't devote at least 8-10 hours a week it doesn't makes sense to play.

I look at it in terms of 10 hours a month. I put a value on my time invested in the game. If I put in 10 hours a month, at $1.50 an hour, thats $15 total which pays for my sub.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Venom1

join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA
reply to Nightfall
i made it to lvl 45 before TBC came out. then my first break hit.

It was taken cuz i was on the other side of the world, helping to make dudes stop breathing. when i got back to hawaii I started raiding. Did SSC/TK right before BT and Hyjal came out. Got my Illidan and Archimode kills after Sunwell came out. I got Wrath a few months before I was headed back to Iraq...

the second time i went out there i bought a satellite dish to have comms with the US servers; 1.2s latency put everything on hold... and the bandwith wouldn't support raiding at all that was break number two

only real breaks I've taken. RL has a way of getting between gamers and their pixels.
--
For Rogues, by Rogues, to be used at the Rogue drive through when you order a side-order of Rogue.

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
reply to Nightfall
I'm taking a break right now. Haven't even wanted to play the past 2 weeks. I looged in for about 20 minutes on Saturday (had to reconfigure my UI after 5.1 dropped) and zoned in on a half completed H Brewery dungeon. finished that and then logged off.

It's just not fun anymore. I would cancel my account but then I feel bad because my brother just picked up the game and shipped out to Korea for a year. He bought it to play with me and stay out of trouble over there...
--
Reading your post made me want to punch a kitten in the jawbone.

Pollux7777

join:2010-02-16
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

reply to Nightfall
I've been playing since release. In that time I have raided hard-core, played casually, and everything inbetween. Now I have a wife, baby, and mortgage so I play when I can. I still love the game though.

I've taken a good 3 or 4 breaks in these past 8 years. Some for weeks, some for months. I've always found that I feel refreshed and excited about the game after coming back. If you love wow, but are feeling burnt out, I highly recommend taking a breather to rekindle your passion for it!

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC
reply to Nightfall
I've been subbed since 06, and haven't fully "quit" at any point, tho recently I've found myself just not interested in going on and trudging along the same ol same ol. So I can go days without even looking at it.

I've played more on Slaghappy recently and finally got him in Aftershock, he's up to 35 now through running dungeons, but I still don't have quite the yearning to grind him more.

I bought Batman AC on Steam's last sale, so that has my attention some. Not to mention the stack of PS3/Wii games I haven't finished.

xenograffiti

@unt.edu
reply to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

I look at it in terms of 10 hours a month. I put a value on my time invested in the game. If I put in 10 hours a month, at $1.50 an hour, thats $15 total which pays for my sub.

Makes sense.

I enjoy progression, gearing, etc so if I don't have enough time to cap valor & hit the raids then I don't play at all. It's just the way my mind works. I know on xmas week I'll only be able to get in a few hours because of family & traveling so I won't even bother.

Pryck

join:2012-02-03
Fredericksburg, VA
reply to Nightfall
I have played since release as well and took several forced breaks due to deployments so I was never in the position of getting burned out. I did however take a break shortly after Firelands released because our guild decided to go from 25 down to 10 man raiding as a result of several officers and the GM leaving the game. Needless to say that sparked a lot of drama and the time I do get to play I prefer to be enjoyable and not deal with childish mentalities.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to Venom1
said by Venom1:

i was on the other side of the world, helping to make dudes stop breathing.

Dude, I knew you were Army, but you didn't say you were 68 Whiskey...

US Navy Hospital Corps...22 Medals of Honor, 'rah?
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Threatco

join:2011-04-19
Moncton, NB
reply to Nightfall
I'm taking a break from trying to keep bleeding edge on pve min/maxing. My guilds core moved on and I am having a hard time with filling spots and trials. Struggling through 4/6 MSV every week to brick wall on Elegon for over a month now....

This is kind of a repeat of what I said in another thread though....

I may take a break though. Play some single player games for a while.

- Side note

I upgraded my comps hardware about 7 months ago, i5, HD6850, Asus MB, 8gb ddr3..

I did it to play skyrim with high settings and mods. But for some reason the graphics improvement was minor at best, and I got discouraged and just went back to wow...

But the reason seems to be because I didn't upgrade my harddrive and I left my old OS on there. Vista 32 bit.

Now on the same HD but now dedicated to the OS and wow, all other files on a secondary internal 1tb drive, I have installed windows 7 64 bit.

And wow, HUGE difference.

I went from 10-15 fps in org on mid settings to 120+ fps on maxed settings. Even with 2 wows open and frapsing.

All my games play great, crysis 2 max settings. Im reinstalling skyrim tonight to try it out.

I spent many many hours researching hardware upgrades for video game performance, and no where did I read about how important it was to update your OS. I had no idea. I am not sure if its because it is Windows 7, I expect it's because it's 64 bit vs 32 bit. Either way.. I just wanted to type this incase anyone else is in the boat I was.

Cake
Premium
join:2009-09-29
united state
reply to Nightfall
I took one "I quit" break since 07 last summer.

I log on for RBG nights now and do family time on other evenings. It keeps the play time down but still scratches the gaming itch.

Caelharrad

join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO
reply to Nightfall
I've taken a few "mini-breaks" (1 or 2 weeks of no WoW, in between game time card expirations), but no long breaks or out-and-out "quitting the game" episodes. When I start to feel burned out, I'll take a "micro-break" (1 or 2 days away from WoW), which usually does the trick.
My solution to that "getting tired of grinding dailies" feeling is to not do any dailies for awhile. (SHOCKING!) This works for me since I'm in a casual guild, rather than a progression raiding guild. I can definitely see how feeling absolutely OBLIGATED to max out dailies and VP every day/week would very quickly turn into drudgery.

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

1 edit
reply to Nightfall
Preface: I've played consistently since Wrath launched, only going a week between logins when I went to Hawaii for my honeymoon.

I haven't logged in in two weeks. I left my raiding guild (in which I was the grand trifecta of GM, RL, and MT) in the lurch, so this wasn't exactly a timely exit.

I was getting more addicted than ever. Maybe I should have just kept playing the two raid days a week and screwed the rest of it, but I began to find that doing anything other than playing WoW was becoming stressful. It was causing relationship problems, and it wasn't like she doesn't game. She plays the game (and is on the raid team, and is comparable to rest of us in terms of skill, so its not like she's a casual carry who just pet battles all day).

Dailies weren't really the problem. Nor was the 2-day-a-week raid schedule. It was my inability to do anything else. It wasn't even natural "burnout". But I made the decision to cold-turkey because a). there wasn't going to be a "good time" to do it and b). I think if I consider it an option, I will just go back to defaulting.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
woah. You do what you need to do, man. Take care.