uniqs
tpkatl
join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA

1 recommendation

tpkatl

Creepy. Scary. Ugly.

How many more adjectives can I use?

Talk about intrusiveness. Big Brother times five.

How a company could see that this is even remotely desirable (not to mention legal) is beyond me.

TrainBuff
The New Haven Railroad
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Buffalo, NY

1 edit

TrainBuff

Premium Member

I have two words...NO WAY! I value my privacy.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to tpkatl

Premium Member

to tpkatl
said by tpkatl:

How a company could see that this is even remotely desirable (not to mention legal) is beyond me.

If you agree to it, why not? (not sure why anyone would, but look at all the WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION stuff posted on facebook/twitter/YouTube/etc)

It's hardly big brother which would imply it was forced on you by the Gov't.
mdlund0
join:2011-08-02
Lawrence, KS

1 recommendation

mdlund0 to tpkatl

to tpkatl
No words, just a number: 1984.
mdlund0

mdlund0 to tshirt

to tshirt
But that is how it begins... by all of us accepting something that we initially think of as trivial and inconsequential. What happens when everyone has willingly accepted these things and they become the status quo, only to have some agency of government realize that they could be used for another purpose?

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

1 recommendation

Corehhi to TrainBuff

to TrainBuff
said by TrainBuff:

What fun a couple of 300 pounders going at it on the couch while watching a skin flick.......LOL. Condom ads????
en103
join:2011-05-02

1 recommendation

en103 to mdlund0

to mdlund0
We're already there with our cell phones / tablets/ PC's that already have remote control by big brother at some level (time to run Linux).

I'll just say this - no TV in the bedroom

TrainBuff
The New Haven Railroad
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Buffalo, NY

3 recommendations

TrainBuff to Corehhi

Premium Member

to Corehhi
said by Corehhi:

said by TrainBuff:

What fun a couple of 300 pounders going at it on the couch while watching a skin flick.......LOL. Condom ads????

Or an ad for a new couch.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to tshirt

MVM

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

It's hardly big brother which would imply it was forced on you by the Gov't.

Unless the provider offered the choice of a DVR without the cameras, then it is a forced deal. "Sorry, you have to take the camera model, or no DVR" is a likely Corporate offer.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt

Premium Member

IF that ultimatum happened, I believe MOST people would refuse, the providers DVR profits would suffer greatly ( a lot more than they would gain from targeted ad fees) and they would have a warehouse full of dusty DVR's.
I think more likely would be to get people to take these with the cameras turned off, and then have promos like "free" showtime for 6 months, IF you let us watch you ("gather data" might sound less voyerish )
Or offering xbox-ish kinect type games for free.
People should outright reject this for hacking reasons (both external and the company (or rogue employees ) "accidently" turning your box on) and the slippery slope this represents, but some will agree without thinking about the long term.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to tpkatl

MVM

to tpkatl
said by tpkatl:

How many more adjectives can I use?

Talk about intrusiveness. Big Brother times five.

Oh I'm sure you would see a lot of complaining by people who frequent this site. But all Verizon would have to do is waive the DVR rental fee in exchange for "subscribing" to this, and the general public would eat it up. American's have proven time and again that they will happily trade their souls for a discount.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to tpkatl

Premium Member

to tpkatl
I would not be shocked that if such DVRs across all carriers became common place that the government would go off and demand warrantless DVR camera tapping to go with their already legal spying of other communications.

Typical consumer will never even care, While the tech savvy will put black electrical tape over the camera.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to NormanS

to NormanS
Why does everyone think this technology requires a DVR to function. This snoop-ware can be incorporated in any Set Top Box.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

said by Mr Matt:

Why does everyone think this technology requires a DVR to function. This snoop-ware can be incorporated in any Set Top Box.

It could be, but it won't. Since Verizon requires a set top box to receive channels, incorporating something like this would be a legal minefield. But if they keep it limited to DVRs, thus a "premium" device, they can get away with it unchallenged.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Mr Matt

MVM

to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

I expect that any Internet connected device with a camera, integrated, or add-on, could be co-opted by a third party. It was with considerable trepidation that I added a web-cam to my desktop. What if the Logitech software phones home and permits some remote operator to access the camera?

Such devices must be fully and unequivocally under the control of the end user.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada

TheMG

Premium Member

I'm probably a little paranoid, but I physically disconnect my webcam when I'm not using it, and I also turn my microphone off (it's a stage mic with a USB powered pre-amp that I built myself).