Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

1 edit

r81984 to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil

Re: Star Trek: 5/17/2013 Into Darkness

I love start trek and have seen every tv show and movie.
JJ Abrams should NEVER be allowed to make another star trek movie
The 1st one was great, but this one sucked.
There was 0 reason to have klingons in this movie, and there is no way they could just escape Kronos with no klingons following and attacking.
Also Kahn can destroy 10 klingons, but cannot beat one vulcan. It made no sense.
Placing a phone call to the future spock was lame and so was the part about Kahn's blood reviving the tribble as you instantly new it was going to be used on someone.

Overall this movie stunk for a star trek movie. I was very, very disappointed.
r81984

r81984 to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

I hate this reboot.

One - F that alternate universe crap.
Two - JJ Abrams can't write.
Three - Too many modern cliches

FOUR - WHO PUTS A CANYON IN IOWA

Yep.
Its like it was written by writers that have never seen anything from star trek before.
You would think with their budget they could afford some good writers.
I hope JJ Abrams never makes another star trek movie.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

4 edits

Packeteers to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

Kahn can destroy 10 klingons, but cannot beat one vulcan.

against the klingons khan was heavily armed shooting like a sniper from above.

spock:khan fought hand to hand, and uruha had to stun kahn a dozen times.

other aspects of the movie made little sense - but that was not one of them.

as for your remarks about klingons, old spock and tribbles , it seems like you were distracted while watching this face paced movie. true those details may have been nostalgic touches, but they did fit in nicely with the storyline - if you were paying attention

i didn't like this movie because it was an unoriginal kahn alternate reality update, however the story was well crafted and non stop action portrayed with a contemporary war on terror message. trekkies should not be surprised any star trek reboot is going to include kahn. it's just like any superman reboot includes zod, spiderman:goblen, batman:joker, and thor:loki. they all take the hero's most interesting nemisis, then spend $200mil retelling the same story that's what disappoints me the most about all the scifi/comic based stuff we seem to be getting these days... the total lack of storyline originality.

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
Another thing I loved about the movie. Seems like mobile phone range is pretty good in the future. A phone call from just outside Kronos somewhere in deep space to a bar in San Francisco is pretty good, wonder what a Verizon plan would cost for that

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

2 edits

r81984 to Packeteers

Premium Member

to Packeteers
said by Packeteers:

said by r81984:

Kahn can destroy 10 klingons, but cannot beat one vulcan.

(spoiler)

other aspects of the movie made little sense - but that was not one of them.

as for your remarks about klingons, old spock and tribbles , it seems like you were distracted while watching this face paced movie. true those details may have been nostalgic touches, but they did fit in nicely with the storyline - if you were paying attention

i didn't like this movie because it was an unoriginal kahn alternate reality update, however the story was well crafted and non stop action portrayed with a contemporary war on terror message. trekkies should not be surprised any star trek reboot is going to include kahn. it's just like any superman reboot includes zod, spiderman:goblen, batman:joker, and thor:loki. they all take the hero's most interesting nemisis, then spend $200mil retelling the same story that's what disappoints me the most about all the scifi/comic based stuff we seem to be getting these days... the total lack of storyline originality.

He fought some of them by hand.
When kirk tried to kick his ass it did not even phase him.
it made no sense that he could not out fight a vulcan.
The star ship seemed to be able to travel through space in minutes from kronos to earth even with a damaged warp drive. Also you can beam from earth to kronos so you dont even need a star ship.

The story was not well crafted at all if you have seen everything else star trek.
It really seems like it was written by someone who has never watched star trek before. It was also a written by a bad writer that failed to have any kind of high level logic in the plot.

They should have a spent a little more on a good writer.
If they even had a decent writer they could of made a movie that made sense in the star trek world.
The special effects and CGI were fantastic. The actors are fantastic.
They had a perfect setup for a great movie and the writer/director blew it.
I liked the 2009 movie.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

You forget that Vulcans are physically stronger than humans, so that would also explain why Spock was able to fight him, but he still did need Uhura's help, otherwise Khan would've beaten Spock.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

said by Alpha Phoenix:

You forget that Vulcans are physically stronger than humans, so that would also explain why Spock was able to fight him, but he still did need Uhura's help, otherwise Khan would've beaten Spock.

LOL, I did not forget that.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
The movie sucked...

A) Idiots with cell phones. Not a direct rant of the film itself but two idiots on their phones did NOT help here. I was tempted to walk out and demand a refund for that reason alone.

B) The script sucked.

Let me count the ways:

1 - As several others pointed out, Khan is incredibly strong. I know Vulcans, especially angry Vulcans, are incredibly strong but Spock didn't stand a chance either in terms of strength or in hand to hand / martial combat. This isn't about "canon" -- its about not contradicting yourself in the same movie.

2 - Young Spock having to call Old Spock for help? Really?? Young Spock is smart enough to have deduced Khan's ultimate intent without help here.

3 - Khan is incredibly intelligent, ... just in terms of this one movie, he manipulated a guy into taking out an top secret, highly secure, Star Fleet facility -- just -- so he could all of the leaders in one place so they could be executed. A guy like that doesn't "fly" in with a chopper and open fire -- he beams in a torpedo and takes out the entire city.

4 - On the topic and allowing for cinematic appeal for a moment, we're supposed to believe a guy who is creating advanced weapons, one who thought so far ahead as to sneak his own people out in missiles, is unable to out think and out maneuver Kirk and Spock at the end when he's outsmarted everyone from the start?

5 - The "distance" between Chronos and Earth is laughable.

6 - Kirk dying had no real impact. Its been over a decade since I saw the original films and I still remember how powerful that scene with Kirk and Spock was.

I could go on (Scottie leaving the enterprise for ANY reason?) but I think the points made.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
The movie looked great with big action sequences and stuff blowing up and torpedoes and cliff jumping and the Enterprise rising from the water and space battles.

That's pretty much everything that was good about the movie.

Oh, and Alice Eve in her underwear. That was good too.

StyxKee
join:2001-07-05
GTA, Canada

StyxKee to TigerLord

to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

said by Mike:

Two - JJ Abrams can't write.

It was Damon Lindelof who wrote the script, and yes, he's an awful writer.

Yup, and Lindelof co-wrote Cowboys & Aliens, and Prometheus, just to name a few... I disliked both films with a passion. Surprised that he is still being employed by the studios in Hollywood.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Packeteers

Premium Member

to Packeteers
As for the radiation in space they found sometime ago its easier to block it than they thought.

Sure with the ISS inside of the van allan belts the exposure is more limited than on mars.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to footballdude

Premium Member

to footballdude
said by footballdude:

said by Snakeoil:

The Klingons were ok as well. Did they ever explain the reason behind why they Klingons had such a drastic change in appearance from the STOS to STNG and Beyond?

Enterprise tried to explain it with some sort of genetic manipulation.

in DS9 worf said "we don't talk about it"

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

1 recommendation

PhoenixDown to StyxKee

Premium Member

to StyxKee
said by StyxKee:

[
Yup, and Lindelof co-wrote Cowboys & Aliens, and Prometheus, just to name a few... I disliked both films with a passion. Surprised that he is still being employed by the studios in Hollywood.

I liked Cowboys & Aliens but agree that Prometheus was lackluster.

seaquake
MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

seaquake to Snakeoil

MVM

to Snakeoil
Saw it with my wife yesterday. She asked if I liked it and I said I had mixed feelings. I guess I'm really disappointed in how much throwback to the prime universe they utilized throughout the film. To me, it felt forced and unnatural. I was hoping they'd really strike out on their own this time by, without the confines of explaining the alternate time line. Guess not.

This guy covers quite a bit of what I found issue with about the movie: »www.ex-astris-scientia.o ··· ekxi.htm Scroll down to STID, about half way down, as the page starts with Star Trek 2009.

For the next movie, I'd just like them to do away with the plot and actors and show the Enterprise rising out of some type of medium for the awesome beauty shots.

I was happy with the way Simon Pegg carried the role of Scotty for this film. I think he was much truer to what Scotty should be vs. the comedian for the previous film. He stepped up to the level that Karl Urban is at portraying McCoy, in my opinion. The rest of the cast I think were fine. I just have significant issues with the story and some of the plot lines which made no sense.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by footballdude:

said by Snakeoil:

The Klingons were ok as well. Did they ever explain the reason behind why they Klingons had such a drastic change in appearance from the STOS to STNG and Beyond?

Enterprise tried to explain it with some sort of genetic manipulation.

in DS9 worf said "we don't talk about it"

Aw you beat me to it. It was in the DS9/TOS crossover episode where they went back in time to the TOS "The Trouble With Tribbles" episode. Worf cracked me up there.

And I liked the movie (although not as much as the first). I do understand the complaints but thought the whole was enough fun to overlook some of the inconsistencies. I do hope that if they decide to do another TV series they go back to the original canon and not this new one.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

1 recommendation

Snakeoil

Premium Member

quote:
they go back to the original canon and not this new one

I dunno. I like the new set up. Though I'm curious as to the impact on things with a "dead" Vulcan home world.

But I recall one of the Star Trek producers [from the TV series] complaining about the advancement of tech in the real world. Currently it's pretty hard for them to give us "futuristic" items like they did in TOS.

At least the Enterprise, in the movies, use buttons, sliders, switches. VS the Enterprise of the Next Gen, which seemed to use "touch" surfaces.

Though if they did a new TV series of Star Trek, should it even be based on the Enterprise?
Why not so a Star Trek series that visits the canon, and leaves the Enterprise on the big screen?
For example: I want to see the Eugenics war. The war that gave us Khan.

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

1 recommendation

Packeteers

Premium Member

well, keep in mind this enterprise has not yet left on it's 5 year mission. it's very likely they brought back a lot of technology from other species they met that eventually made it's way into TNG enterprise. Vulcans strike me as keeping their tech close to the vest, and were more into theoretical stuff, so I doubt they shared much with the galaxy even in the original ST timeline, so their planet destruction may not have been such a technological loss to the federation. BTW this is what I loved most about Voyager - the way they constantly integrated new tech they found along the way into their existing ship.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I felt out of all the series Voyager was the closest to TOS. Mainly because in TOS, it was the Enterprise, out by itself, having to relay on the wits of the captain and crew to survive.

But of course, IMO, I feel the Borg/Q were part of what was wrong with the Star Trek universe. Or the over use of them.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
Finally watched Star Trek : Into Darkness.

IMHO it was better than I was expecting, and not as bad as I'd thought it might've been from peoples description on this board.

I wasn't too crazy about how the klingon's looked; but they looked klingony enough for me I suppose. I do rather prefer the hairy biker warrior knight versions that Worf portrayed.

Anyhoo, of all the Star Treks - Voyager and SD9 were my favorites.

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

4 edits

Packeteers to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

I feel the Borg/Q were part of what was wrong with the Star Trek universe.

they didn't bother me as much, and I'll tell you why; I think it humbles humans to consider that once out in space meeting other sentient races that we may encounter beings that could squash us all like bugs if it served their purposes. you may notice a recent trend in other SciFi story lines where the alien races we meet don't give a fuck about humans, they simply want to kill/enslave us and exploit our resources. you don't see much of that in the altruistic happy go lucky ST Universe without the Borg/Q/Species 8472.

my guess is there was a lot of post WW2 Colonialism guilt that permeated writing during the late 20th century and fostered ideas like "the prime directive" a notion which anyone living in the 16th-19th century would have laughed at. in ST lore the main reason why it took the Klingons so long to join the Federation is because the prime directive was completely contrary to Klingon cultural values. Spanish Conquistadors would have LOVED Klingons

here on Earth we should be grateful that Europe and China civilizations evolved so far apart from each other. there were a few centuries where China was culturally more organized and technologically more advanced than Europe, and could have conquered the entire known World easily if they had not been so geographically separated by the vast bulk of Asia and been ill equipped to sail around south africa.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix

Premium Member

You have a point.

Though the temporal prime directive is a good idea IMO. (I don't know about you but I don't want some time traveler making paradoxes)

BTW you mention Species 8472, IIRC that's the one from fluidic space that wanted to put the hurt on the borg in voyager, they filled a good role someone other than Q that could fight the Borg on par. (And you know Q isn't going to bother with the borg because "they're no fun")

Borg and Q were some of my favorite stories.

Borg served the role of the uber buggy man out there that we would need to rise up against.

Q served the role of a whimsical being with to much power, to showcase the boredom of an eternal existence.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

"If the Continuum's told you once, they've told you a thousand times: DON'T - PROVOKE - THE BORG!"

That's what Q said to his son in an episode of Voyager when Q sent his son to live on Voyager with "Aunt Kathy".

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

And we've never seen a "Borg-Q" (Borq) have we

One *snap* of its tendrils and BOOM entire cosmo's and all of creation would be assimilated.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Nope, no BorgQ.

I would like them to explore Section 31. It was a series of books that crossed over all the Star Trek series.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_31
quote:
In the Star Trek fictional universe, Section 31 is an autonomous intelligence and defense organization. It is presented as a special security operation, manned by Federation citizens, that is not subject to the normal constraints of Starfleet ethical protocols.[1] The organization appears, or is mentioned, across nine episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Enterprise as well as the 2013 movie Star Trek Into Darkness.

The film Star Trek Into Darkness features an alternate universe version of Section 31, which is run by Starfleet Supreme Commander Admiral Marcus. As with the original continuity, Section 31 is a secret branch of Starfleet created to protect the Federation from external threats by developing weapons

Interesting, I had no idea Marcus was a part of section 31.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Better hide, Starfleet will be hunting you down now. Section 31 is eyes only, and very above your pay grade.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to TwiztedZero

Premium Member

to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

And we've never seen a "Borg-Q" (Borq) have we

One *snap* of its tendrils and BOOM entire cosmo's and all of creation would be assimilated.

At the same time a Q could just snap it's fingers and be un-borged before the hive mind took over.

Or another Q could banish the BorgQ from the Continuum and strip it of its Q-ness.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Packeteers

Premium Member

to Packeteers
said by Packeteers:

personally i doubt we will send humans to mars till 2050 - if our current rovers on Mars have showed us anything, it's that there is nothing worthwhile to see or do up there. more likely we may find something useful to do on our relatively close Moon, like setup a base and hopefully test new long range human safe travel technologies that have yet to be realized.

The moon base brought up a thought, if there is something that could use a "reboot" it's Space 1999 .
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to MikeJrod

Premium Member

to MikeJrod
The costumes kinda reminded me of a certain historical period in mind, the one where Europe gets invaded.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
I was wasting for the " have been and always shall be your friend" line to come out.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to seaquake

Premium Member

to seaquake
One of my biggest issues with the movie (and i just got back from it) was how emotional Spock is.

The only time he was anywhere near this emotional was when he went into pon far.