« Revolution[Anime] School Days »
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · next

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
reply to Dustyn

Re: Star Trek: 5/17/2013 Into Darkness

I'm not installing QuickTime, no way, no how.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

said by Wily_One:

I'm not installing QuickTime, no way, no how.

You don't HAVE too... there are other ways around this.
However... I did not find installing QuickTime to be an issue. Just upgraded it yesterday.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Snakeoil

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=diP-o_JxysA

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

That one was already posted earlier in this thread.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
reply to Dustyn

Of course, I watched it on YouTube at 720p.
And I never said installing QT was a problem. It's having it installed that's a problem.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

said by Wily_One:

Of course, I watched it on YouTube at 720p.
And I never said installing QT was a problem. It's having it installed that's a problem.

Touché.
Having it installed and using QuickTime has not been a problem.
QuickTime is not something I use all that often, other than Apple Trailers and the occasional video clips. It appears to work and function as expected. I'm not sure what specific issues one may have with it but, I'm sure they exist. I use it on Windows 7 and XP. I'm not sure if the experience would be the same on an Apple.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Snakeoil

Looks like it could be a great movie, I'll probably check it out.
Even though I've only seen Benedict Cumberbatch in the awesome Sherlock I'd say he was a great actor and would probably do a good job.

OT: The only reason I'd install QuickTime is to watch movie trailers in HD, and nowadays that's not reason enough for me when IMDb and YouTube have trailers. A couple of years ago I had it installed and had problems with it (something to do with updates, I think) and decided to never install it again.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Nightwing
This is it boys,this is war
Premium
join:2002-04-08
CT
reply to Snakeoil

Anybody notice the nacelles on the starship that crashes into San Fransisco Bay? The look like the nacelles on the Enterprise-E. There is also a fight scene and in the background it looks like the internal framing of a saucer section that is on fire.
--
A fire burns today Of blasphemy and genocide The sirens of decay
Will infiltrate the faith fanatics

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Dustyn

Dustyn, not to derail this topic further, but If you like bloatware that's always running in the background and won't die of its own accord, be my guest.

If I really needed to watch a .mov file I'd install QuickTime Alternative. But in this day and age there's really no reason to.

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Snakeoil

I dunno, I'm a TOS purist so I'm biased, but other than having familiar characters, JJ's take on it is looking more like just another action/adventure and less and less like Star Trek. I did see the first movie, and while it was OK as a stand-alone story, I cringed so many times it was painful.

I'll eventually see the new one too, I'm sure, although it may be a dollar rental from RedBox.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

said by Wily_One:

I dunno, I'm a TOS purist so I'm biased, but other than having familiar characters, JJ's take on it is looking more like just another action/adventure and less and less like Star Trek. I did see the first movie, and while it was OK as a stand-alone story, I cringed so many times it was painful.

I'll eventually see the new one too, I'm sure, although it may be a dollar rental from RedBox.

That did a pretty good job of describing how I felt about it as well. I'm always up for a good sci/fi movie, but I wish they'd stop bastardizing good, established characters.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

MaxPowers

join:2010-07-30
Roy, UT
reply to Snakeoil

Anyone notice the scene in one of the trailers where Kirk has his hand against glass with someone else's hand on the other side? Reminded me of the ending in Wraith of Kahn. You think Spock dies...again/still?

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

I had the same thought, but hope that isn't the case.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to MaxPowers

Is there another Vulcan in the movie with a blue shirt?

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
reply to Nightwing

Yeah, I noticed that after you mentioned it. Seems like the Enterprise is going to get beat up in this one.

MaxPowers

join:2010-07-30
Roy, UT

1 recommendation

It's not a Star Trek movie until they eject the warp core.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

1 edit
reply to Wily_One

Since this is upsetting darcilicious See Profile... I've done as requested. Yikes.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

2 recommendations

reply to Snakeoil

Good golly, enough already. I posted the Apple link because it's the official site for the trailer -- and other links are likely to get removed over time.

Those that choose not to install Quicktime can either do without or are smart enough to keep searching for a non-Quicktime version.

Can we stop this now? Thanks!
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Nightwing
Premium
CT
reply to Snakeoil

I don't know if this a smoke screen by the movie company or what, but according to this article the bad guy is named John Harrison.

»www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar···ilm.html
--
A fire burns today Of blasphemy and genocide The sirens of decay
Will infiltrate the faith fanatics

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Snakeoil

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceSJqDrJMyo

Nice featurette...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

1 recommendation

reply to Snakeoil

Has i go through this thread, I find myself on the opposite side of many of you. I prefer the serialized story telling, it allows the show to build, giving you a little piece of the big picture each week.

What irritated me was in DS9, you have the whole Dominion war/changelings plot going on, Sisko and Jake go off and play baseball ARRGGGGHHH

In Enterprise, there was the Cowboys and Indians episode (amongst others) that were standalone.

Standalone episodes are great from a syndication perspective, since you can play any episode any time, but for me it does nothing from a character development perspective. They are always the same.

Look at what happened to Picard after he was rescued from the Borg, from being Locutus of Borg, it made him "different" , it haunted him if you will.

Do these serialized shows fail because of? Are people mere simpletons (no offense to those here that prefer the non serialized shows)that have such short attention spans,that they have to be spoon fed every episode?

My hard drive is chock full of shows I'm following, some serialized (which I wait till they are done to watch or come to a natural break) others I watch week to week (Arrow... even though it's technically serialized it's 22/3 episodes too much to watch in a row).

I've argued over and over that if the conventional networks could compete against their own cable networks , if they just dropped the old 22-3+ episode seasons and gave us tight 8-13 seasons. You'd get more variety,and there would be less of a chance a show would be cancelled before the first season is done.

The brits are fantastic for this giving you a tight story line in 6-8 episodes.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

2 recommendations

reply to Snakeoil

Latest trailer!!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWWr2wE5Myg

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 recommendations

reply to Snakeoil

more new trailer goodness

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhz4A5BCMAA

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

kool.

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY

any plot synopsis out yet? is this villain bio engineered like Kahn?

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

I've read a lot of different things. That it is Kahn, that it isn't Kahn. It's hard to tell which is true or not.

I would love a Star Trek mini series, where they visit things that were mentioned in the full series, and added more depth to them. Like the Eugenics war. I think that would be interesting to see the full story behind that.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

actually, i was surprised during the scot bakula "enterprise" series we didn't see more remnants of that star trek universe history. keep in mind these new movies are running through an alternate timeline, so a lot may occur inconsistent with past trekkie certainty.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

True. I agree, Enterprise would have been a good platform to revisit some of the history.

*Note: also launching a new series called Star Fleet Temporal force, With Janeway in charge of them.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD
reply to Packeteers

said by Packeteers:

actually, i was surprised during the scot bakula "enterprise" series we didn't see more remnants of that star trek universe history.

And that is why the show failed to catch on. They instantly went for time incursions and when ratings dropped, the Borg. By the time they started focusing on the pre-Kirk era history in season four, the damage had already been done.

This trailer certainly gives us more idea of a plot line. I think I saw robocop in there, too!

Nightwing
Premium
CT
reply to Snakeoil

So I guess the new blond is Carol Marcus.