how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

Easy solution

This "problem" has a ridiculously easy solution: the content providers can simply say that they won't pay. At that point, the only thing that the telcos can do is block access to those sites, and we all know how well that'll work out with customers.

I don't get all the hand-wringing with this. Just call their bluff.

XANAVirus
Premium
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV
Reviews:
·Callcentric
Agreed. It's basically a guarantee that the telcos will blink. After all, no one wants to lose consumers, and calling their bluff like this would affect all telcos.

Ergo, no matter what the telcos would have to blink, since you can't just switch to a carrier that doesn't impose this idea and get around the block.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to ISurfTooMuch
right on the money.

if an ISP blocked Google over not paying their protection racket that ISP would lose customers at an astounding rate.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to ISurfTooMuch
IF the ISPS can convince the UN to takeover the internet and make this legal there is nothing the content providers could do.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
Except that the UN has no power to take over anything. The UN and ITU can say anything they want, but they can't create regulations. Only national governments can do that through treaties and supporting legislation, and there seems to be little support for anything like this outside the UN.

I think this is one of those situations where those who support this junk are making as much noise as they can to hopefully cause everyone else to forget that there's nothing substantial behind any of it. It's all just bluster, and I've observed that, the more of that that you see, the less substance there is to back it up.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to Kearnstd
One would have to assume you could get another ISP.