Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KennesawMtn

join:2008-12-30
Kennesaw, GA
reply to ILpt4U

Re: POTS Splitter Installation Help

That makes sense (that they check signal at the NID) and I hope they do come by today. I will be home as well.

But if they replace my 1989/1990 style NID, I would think that would only be needed if they deem my current external DSL splitter incompatible with the new VDSL. In that case I will still need a new modular DSL splitter for inside the newer style NID. I wonder if that is deemed billable, as having a home run from the NID is not exactly the typical installation. But I did the home run back in 2005 for 2 reasons. 1) to avoid needing in-line filters and 2) to have a better signal to the modem, as my home's phone wiring is the older 4 conductor non-twisted pair type.

KennesawMtn

join:2008-12-30
Kennesaw, GA

1 edit

Installer came today. Courteous and everything is working fine. my 12/1.5 tier is performing pretty close to those levels (~11.3/1.35).

He had no concerns about the older style NID, which he did not replace. When I asked about the adjacent whole-home DSL filter I already had, he thought it would be OK and said the hookup looked fine. He was not 100% certain about it working OK with the VDSL so he called his technical resource area and they said it would be fine. I later looked up my splitter model # (guess I could have done that before, huh?) on its inside cover. It is a Corning SPS-H70-SR1, specs for it are good with VDSL

Had I not asked, I don't think it would have necessarily been a topic of conversation, as checking the signal at the NID was what he was looking to do it appeared. It seems to me that in this Atlanta area market that inside the home in-line filters with the DSL piggy-backing on the "phone" wiring (such as non twisted pair 4 conductor like I have) are the expected norm for DSL and Uverse internet. My home run, however has served me well since I got DSL in 2005.