how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20

[Rant] New Laptop with Win8 - do not like!

Really!?! WTF is this sh!t!

Is it still possible to buy a copy of windows 7?

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

1 recommendation

You're legally entitled to downgrade Windows 8 Pro to a previous version of Windows but I don't believe you can legally downgrade regular Windows 8.

I've been getting a lot of flack from friends and family lately too... installing classicshell on their systems seems to help.

Black Box

join:2002-12-21

1 recommendation

reply to Thane_Bitter

Time for KDE Mint! If needing to learn something new, why not trying a real OS?
--
Keep It Safe, Stupid!
Yes, I CanChat. Can You?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to Thane_Bitter

Hahaha same thing my uncle said to me when he bought a new computer last week... He ended up returning it and buying one with Windows 7 from another store that still had them.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

2 recommendations

reply to Thane_Bitter

Install Start8. Makes things a whole lot more bearable.

Outside of that, as urbanriot already said, if you have Pro you can exercise your downgrade rights.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by Gone:

Install Start8. Makes things a whole lot more bearable.

How does that compare with the free Classic Shell?

I tried to evaluate Start8 during beta testing stages of Windows 8, encountered a lot of non-useable glitches so I basically said, "fuck this!" But I hadn't come back to it since discovering a good, free alternative.

I'm a registered Fences user so I'm open to re-evaluating their products. Have you tried Classic Shell yet?

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to Thane_Bitter

yea, i saw their ad on TV recently where they show various items with complex looking "starting points" (microwave, etc), then show their device (i think in this example, it was a phone with it)...i thought the device looked just as confusing as the examples they were trying to show it against in the first place.

i tried to find the commercial, but am coming up empty handed.

alexpb1

join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Thane_Bitter

If your main issue is because of the start menu, try one of these to bring it back:

Power8:
»code.google.com/p/power8

StartMenu8:
»www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php

Start Menu X:
»www.startmenux.com/index.html

Classic Shell:
»classicshell.sf.net

Spesoft Windows 8 Start Menu:
»www.spesoft.com/free-windows-8-s···enu.aspx

Taskbar Classic Start Menu:
»www.desktopapps.org/

ViStart:
»lee-soft.com/vistart

BringBack 8:
»www.revel-software.it/BringBack.aspx

Handy Start Menu:
»www.handystartmenu.com/

Start8:
»www.stardock.com/products/start8/

StartIsBack:
»startisback.com/

Start Button 8:
»www.startbutton8.com/index.html

Pokki:
»www.pokki.com/windows-8-start-menu

Win8StartButton:
»www.quadsoft.org/moredownloads.php

StartFinity:
»www.winability.com/startfinity/

Windows 8 Start Menu:
»sourceforge.net/projects/w8-start-menu/

Tweaks.com Start for Windows 8:
»tweaks.com/windows/63691/tweaksc···-button/

Start Button for Windows 8:
»windows8startbutton.com/

8StartButton:
»www.totalidea.com/8startbutton/index.php

StartMenuPlus8:
»www.winok-msixray.com/

RetroUI Pro:
»www.retroui.com/default.asp

Viva Start Menu:
»www.vivastartmenu.com/

Win8Starter:
»www.win8starter.com/index-en.html

Wentutu Start Menu for Windows 8:
»www.wentutu.com/

StartW8:
»www.areaguard.com/startw8

urbanriot
Premium
Canada

... wow! I had no idea there were so many.

What would make my day is if there was one that restored the real start menu of Windows 7 and worked with the Windows 7 group policies. That would be a feat.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
reply to Thane_Bitter

Thanks, I'll look into these add ons and see if they help.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

What would make my day is if there was one that restored the real start menu of Windows 7 and worked with the Windows 7 group policies. That would be a feat.

I would assume that Start8 doesn't have any sort of group policy integration, but for all intents and purposes it functions *exactly* the same way as the Windows 7 Start menu, including the way you can customize the icons, the search box, the layout, etc.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to Thane_Bitter

Remember when the Start button disappeared in Windows Vista, but you could get it back?....

I'm guessing with Windows 7 you could still get the start "button" back, but not in Windows 8?

....I'm probably the only one who will say this, but I love Vista...poor thing just didn't get a fair shake...

Guess I'll stick with this beast that I bought in 2009 until it dies....

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by nitzguy:

Remember when the Start button disappeared in Windows Vista, but you could get it back?....

nope

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
reply to nitzguy

Actually no I don't, never had it, you are among the minority though I don't think there was much of a difference between it and Windows 7.

booj

join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON
reply to alexpb1

If it was so trivial to implement a start button (as evidenced by the dozens of clones) then why on Earth wouldn't Microsoft provide a standard, bug-free version?

IT at my lab is forcing all instances of Windows XP off of our network this month. Upgrading to Windows 7 is painful enough.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2
reply to alexpb1

There are 2 built-in ways to get the Start menu items back.

»[WIN8] Get the Start Menu Back Without an App

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
reply to Thane_Bitter

I see MS being back the UI themselves with an update. I don't want a shitty looking tablet look on my PC.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by TOPDAWG:

I see MS being back the UI themselves with an update. I don't want a shitty looking tablet look on my PC.

Thats exactly it... Even if you hack the start menu on, the whole thing looks like freakin windows95, all plain and flat...

I actually like the aero look of Windows 7. I have it tweaked nicely to my liking.
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by HiVolt:

Thats exactly it... Even if you hack the start menu on, the whole thing looks like freakin windows95, all plain and flat...

That's why Start8 is worth even penny of the $5 it costs (that is, if you want to be legitimate, anyway. There's ways around that ).

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
reply to HiVolt

I'm staying with 7 I see 7 being the new XP of the MS line. People will keep that mother for years. MS is going to do externed support for 7 till 2020.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

That's why Start8 is worth even penny of the $5 it costs (that is, if you want to be legitimate, anyway. There's ways around that ).

Yeah, I'll save the $5 and stay with Windows 7...

I just hope MS comes to their senses and will enable an option or something to disable that metro crap for someone who just wants to use the desktop as it was intended.
--

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to TOPDAWG

If it worked (which it sure as frack does not), its like MS Bob, it is a program which does nothing except to open up other programs. Most of the time you end up on the desktop anyways - why bother with it at all.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to Thane_Bitter

Start8 does support group policy management.

I can't comment much on ClassicShell. All I can say is that Start8 allows you to replicate the Windows 7 start menu *EXACTLY*, and most of the bugs have been fixed by v1.03a or the latest beta (v1.09). It also allows you to boot to the desktop, and disable all the Win8 hotpoints. With Start8, you can pretend Metro doesn't exist 99% of the time. The only time I have to go into Metro is for the few settings that were moved from regular control panels to the Metro settings.

Start8 for $5 is an extremely good value considering how much it improves the usability of Windows 8.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by Guspaz:

All I can say is that Start8 allows you to replicate the Windows 7 start menu *EXACTLY*

Wow, it's tough to argue with you, that using 'exactly' with stars in capital letters is a bit of a stretch as there are nuanced differences... but it's pretty damned close to original! Impressively so.

I just threw it on to evaluate how much better it is than the last time I used it and it actually works now for me. I'd say it's closer to Windows 7 start menu than Classic Shell... but since Classic Shell is free and does the same thing it's a tough call. I do prefer how classic shell has a separate menu for 'programs' and 'metro apps' whereas Start8 it's a submenu but that's a quibbling difference.

So basically it comes down to Classic Shell if you want a good, free solution or Start8 if you want to pay a few bucks for exactly the same looking menu you had in Windows 7.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to Thane_Bitter

said by Thane_Bitter:

Actually no I don't, never had it, you are among the minority though I don't think there was much of a difference between it and Windows 7.

I love XP...but I'll take vista...Still have an XP machine rockin it...it does my output to a TV when I'm doing stuff like Netflix and rogers on demand when I watched Blue Jays games...other than that it has no purpose, but it works, and works well for whats under the hood, 2gb ram, aging Core2DuoE6600...from like 2008...it does what I need it to do, so I'll keep it running...

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to urbanriot

ClassicShell being free is definitely a bonus in its favour, but it doesn't seem to have options to boot-to-desktop or disable hotspots in Win8. IMO those are useful things to.

In fact there are some features in ClassicShell that I'm interested in other than the start menu, so it may be worth combining the two; Start8 for the start menu and metro/hotspot things, and ClassicShell for stuff like the explorer status bars (if they work in Win8).

I really miss in Win8 the ability to tell the resolution of an image from Explorer. I can't figure out how to get that info short of the file's properties dialog, which is tedious if you have a bunch of files to check.
--

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by Guspaz:

ClassicShell being free is definitely a bonus in its favour, but it doesn't seem to have options to boot-to-desktop or disable hotspots in Win8. IMO those are useful things to.

!? ... yes it does. ClassicShell has waaay more options than Start8 has and one of them is 'skip metro' and 'disable active areas'.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC

said by urbanriot:

!? ... yes it does. ClassicShell has waaay more options than Start8 has and one of them is 'skip metro' and 'disable active areas'.

Well, they're not mentioned on the ClassicShell website on either the "Features" page or "FAQ" page, so it's not an unreasonable assumption to make.

I only found it when I dug into the changelog.
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to urbanriot

I simply don't like the way Classic Shell looks. Start8 seems to have done a better job at replicating the new Windows 8 desktop UI and what a proper start menu might have looked like than anything else I've seen.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Thane_Bitter

ClassicShell supports skinning, I think. That said, there are a variety of different appearance options for Start8. You can get a complete replication of Win7, a flat-shaded replication of Win7, a flat square replication of Win7, or a metro-in-a-menu option (which I guess is what you're talking about).

BTW, for those who try Start8 and miss the classic Windows 7 start menu image, Start8 ships with a few extra images that aren't built-in. If you click "browse" for the image, you can pick from the extra images. There are a few that replicate the Win7 look.
--