uniqs

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot

Re: [Rant] New Laptop with Win8 - do not like!

That doesn't surprise me one bit.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to Thane_Bitter

to Thane_Bitter
I had a cyber friend who worked at the MS Redmond, Wash
mothership. He told me MS had no serial number system on Office for
years so people would take copies home from work.

I've never really had a problem with MS software/operating systems
but I have always hated the way they do business. A bit to slimy for
my liking.

FaxCap

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

There's also speculation that the recent widespread piracy of Windows 8 using the MCE activation trick was based on information 'leaked' by Microsoft to push the 'warez community' onto their new OS since they felt it would influence the legal market.

I heard about this recently and was surprised that it could be done.
I am in the process of buying new Dell laptop 15R with windows 8 by end of month. I am happy with Windows 7 and not sure should go for W8.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to FaxCap

to FaxCap
said by FaxCap:

I had a cyber friend who worked at the MS Redmond, Wash
mothership. He told me MS had no serial number system on Office for
years so people would take copies home from work.

I've never really had a problem with MS software/operating systems
but I have always hated the way they do business. A bit to slimy for
my liking.

FaxCap

Office 2000 was the first one (I think) to require the input of a CD key. The key was printed on the back of the jewel case, much like the keys for Windows 95 and 98, and could be used an unlimited number of times without verification.
Last Parade

Last Parade to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by Last Parade:

said by Gone:

Bring Your Own Device

not that part

Standard documents used in larger corporations for things like emergency procedures, storage procedures, 'what to do when this button lights up' procedures, production reports, injury reports, 'things are okay' reports, etc. The copious amounts of paperwork to either read or write when you find yourself in a large manufacturing plant.

You said you "need" a backlash against BYOD. Please explain why you require that.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Last Parade

Premium Member

to Last Parade
Office 97 had that system as well, the funny little orange sticker, as did Windows NT, granted both had very short keys.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Last Parade

Premium Member

to Last Parade
said by Last Parade:

You said you "need" a backlash against BYOD. Please explain why you require that.

LOL my English is as bad as yours. I sometimes have a weird form of word dyslexia where I write a word that doesn't belong anywhere in what I'm writing and 'need' should have been 'seen' and prefaced with 'I've', as in I've been seeing a backlash lately, against BYOD.

Or the other path with companies like Cisco putting out emails concerning the necessity to lock down employee owned devices connecting to the network.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I knew exactly what you meant despite the awkward wording. The issues with BYOD have been brewing for a while now.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
We had an Office 97 Upgrade CD kicking around at work back in the day that we used on any computer we wanted to put Office on, and I don't recall that it required a key. It would probably have been a corporate version and that might be the difference.

The funny part was that as an "upgrade", it was designed not to install unless it found existing MS Office files somewhere -- it would look in the installed programs folder, and if it didn't find any it would ask you where to look for verification that you already had Office. The correct answer was, "try looking in the CD drive."

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by Wolfie00:

We had an Office 97 Upgrade CD kicking around at work back in the day that we used on any computer we wanted to put Office on, and I don't recall that it required a key. It would probably have been a corporate version and that might be the difference.

The funny part was that as an "upgrade", it was designed not to install unless it found existing MS Office files somewhere -- it would look in the installed programs folder, and if it didn't find any it would ask you where to look for verification that you already had Office. The correct answer was, "try looking in the CD drive."

1112-1111111

...Ah Microsoft, what happenned....FYI that's the Office 97 CD Key above . Worked on any CD, was a Retail copy we had at our work...in fact I think I still have the physical CD around somewhere....

Same key worked with Windows NT and 95...memories....