tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to Kramer

Premium Member

to Kramer

Re: New Windows

The company I went with is local and makes their own windows. They also install them themselves, which I like. They offer a lifetime guarentee (I'm sure only for defects). If any issues, I can just call them to correct. I haver 13 windows (some small, some a little larger) so they are about $500 each installed. This seems a little high but this includes labor and tax. From what friends have mentioned and from what I see online, this is about aveage for vinyl windows. I don't know if there is such thing as a "standard" replacement window... this company builds each one themselves based on actual measurements.

I have 2 windows in my basement that are single pane. I'm sure that cold air was sinking into the window wells and just pouring in threw those windows.

I think my utilities will stay about the same but I think the comfort level will improve. In the summer my electric bill is not more then $120 and usually $60-$80. In the winter my gas bill might go to $80 but is usually around $20. Of course it's normal that I have the AC at 78 in the summer and around 60 in the winter.

The "program" guy that came in was "questioning" my electric bill being at $120. I guess that is because even using that number, his calculations showed it would take 20 years to pay for their cost. He told me he thought my bill was actually probably around $220. . I just could not see paying $25,000 for their "program". I did install CFL in most fixtures (went with a few hybrids), I'm working on replacing two doors and will also insulate the over hang of the first floor.
Jacob Henry
join:2012-11-30

Jacob Henry

Vinyl replacement windows come mounted in a new jamb, and are simply tilted into the old frame and fastened in place.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

I'm reading their website and they talk about their windows coming in multi chambered frames. Yup, watched the youtube video and these have frames. They over hang on the outside in order to provide a good seal with the siding.
79949762 (banned)
join:2010-07-24

79949762 (banned)

Can you post the image of the window here? i wish to replace my old windows.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

Yup, I'll do it this evening and post some photos of the stools that I have removed.
tcope

tcope to 79949762

Premium Member

to 79949762
said by 79949762:

Can you post the image of the window here? i wish to replace my old windows.

Not sure if you wanted to see the old or new windows but I have the old windows so far. I posted them in an album for review:

»picasaweb.google.com/100 ··· rectlink

After I took these I discovered one that was even worse. The window did not even reach all the way tightly to the bottom so I had placed some rubber weather striping int he lower sill (it's an unused room where I keep the door shut and almost never go in there).

I've removed tiles from two of the five windows. On one window the tiles came out clean. The others... not so much. Most of the cement (I really think they used cement) came out also in chunks. There is also some chicken wire in it. I think I'll leave it like it us until they put the new windows in and then just use some mastic to put in new stools.

»lh5.googleusercontent.co ··· 2529.JPG

I saw some PVC sills at Home Depot that were very nice. They are a matte white and look just like wood. They have a rounded front already.

»www.sill-rite.com/media/ ··· e03.html