Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to anon user

Premium Member

to anon user

Re: What is the risk of this?

said by anon user :

...That is what they do, but they only ask for: Social Security Number, Birth Date as MMDD and Last Name Including Suffix (Example Smith Jr)
So, how safe/risky is it - what they are doing?

Are you an employee of the organization? That is, is this an access portal into the company network?

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

said by anon user :

...That is what they do, but they only ask for: Social Security Number, Birth Date as MMDD and Last Name Including Suffix (Example Smith Jr)

Are you an employee of the organization? That is, is this an access portal into the company network?

My company used the full 9 digit SSN to validate initial signups to an internet based benefits portal. I think saner heads prevailed.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by AVD:

said by Blackbird:

said by anon user :

My company used the full 9 digit SSN to validate initial signups to an internet based benefits portal. I think saner heads prevailed.

An organization I once was part of used SSNs for their employee ID numbers... and then put those numbers on the face of the badges. Ditto for this state using the SSN for your driver's license ID number. It wasn't until there was movement in Congress to assert the privacy of SSNs that such practices faded away. But until Congress moved, no amount of rhetoric could persuade the organization or the state to change their practices. Using a SSN for ID over the Internet is just plain wrong.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

It wasn't until there was movement in Congress to assert the privacy of SSNs that such practices faded away. But until Congress moved, no amount of rhetoric could persuade the organization or the state to change their practices.

it sorta happened overnight, except for the example I cited which happened about 3 years ago.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

1 recommendation

Snowy

Premium Member

said by AVD:

said by Blackbird:

It wasn't until there was movement in Congress to assert the privacy of SSNs that such practices faded away. But until Congress moved, no amount of rhetoric could persuade the organization or the state to change their practices.

it sorta happened overnight, except for the example I cited which happened about 3 years ago.

I can make a calculated guess @ what you were eating that day.
I'd even say how many slices you had but with much less certainty.