how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mac973

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ
reply to batsona

Re: Verizon to use cameras/microphones to monitor us for ads?

said by batsona:

When will networks cut out the middleman, and sell services for $$ directly to the consumer? If I like a few shows on NBC, I'll sign up with NBC.COM & log in & watch the shows. Likewise with the Discovery Channel, to watch Mythbusters. The networks will get their subscription revenues directly from consumers who subscribe to their services.

The problem is, they are not likely to get enough customers to subscribe online, and therefore not make as much money as they do now. It's the same principle as why a-la-carte tv won't work. The networks make money from the cable companies by requiring carriage fees for ALL customers (at least for most channels). They get paid whether a person watches the channel or not. That's not going to work online.

jophan
Premium
join:2009-07-12
Jenkintown, PA
reply to matcarl

What bugs me is all of these patents filed for wild ideas that haven't been implemented. Didn't a patent once have to actually reflect a working thing? [/fogey]

Proginoskes
Space
Premium
join:2001-08-11
Asbury Park, NJ
reply to matcarl

Someone watching me watching tv? I know just where to put the piece of tape.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to matcarl

This thread cracks me up....

JMikeF

join:2005-05-05
Alexandria, VA

Don't laugh. The chip in the brain - required by the government - is a decade away.

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4

said by JMikeF:

Don't laugh. The chip in the brain - required by the government - is a decade away.

Yeah, but maybe on the good side, they'll team up with Verizon, and they'll allow you to stream directly to that chip. No STB required!

skohly

join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ
reply to PJL

said by PJL:

This thread cracks me up....

Yup!!! Imagine the possiblities of what we could Verizon?

skohly

join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ

I meant to say Imagine the possiblities of what we could show Verizon.

Expand your moderator at work

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to bohratom

Re: Verizon to use cameras/microphones to monitor us for ads?

said by bohratom:

The biggest companies watching us and taking information is GOOGLE AND FACEBOOK, and the best part is people are signing up to give it to them...

Google you can at least use there tools to NOT accept targeted ads. For now keeping my google owned companies separate (YouTube, Zagat, etc). You see my Facebook, NOPE not signed up and never intend to. Same for Google+, etc. Bad enough I have to use some sites and want to use some others.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

»www.computerworld.com/s/article/···rejected

you can all rest easy now.... its been rejected...

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

Thanks for that update. Look what they wrote:

The technology is likely many years away, even if the patent is eventually granted. But the privacy implications are troubling now, said Beth Givens, director of the Privacy Rights Clearing House. "Of all the privacy-intrusive technology developments that I've become aware of in recent years, this one is at the extreme end of the scale," Givens said.
"One of the things that troubles me about this patent, aside from the extraordinary privacy-invasiveness of it, is that there are engineers at Verizon sitting around thinking up such things" she said. "It's quite obvious that for this to have gotten to the patent-filing stage, Verizon engineers have been allowed -- even encouraged -- to take privacy-intrusion to the max, all in the name of advertising dollars."

marathonmike
Beer. You can only rent it

join:2001-12-12
Princeton, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to matcarl

I remember 5 years ago the students in HS would say things like "I would like my friends to automatically see where I am" As adults, we were appalled at their lack privacy. Now it's an app & they love it. Does anyone read "1984" anymore?
--
Go desiel