Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

unibroker
Premium
join:2010-11-12
Altadena, CA

Ubuntu 12.04 freeze on startup

I got such good results the last time I tapped the dslreport braintrust that I'm back with another issue.

I shutdown my desktop every night. Without exception I get freezes or am dropped into terminal which then freezes immediately following login. This happens for the first 2 or 3 attempts after which I get a normal boot and an uneventful session.

When I'm dropped into terminal or non-graphical mode I see a lot of output but I see one line that refers to kernel panic. I looked at kernel.log for the first time yesterday and I see the term "abort" appears around lines referring to the Nouveau driver. I have a Nvidia graphics card. When I did the Ubuntu install I ticked the Install Proprietary Drivers so I was surprised that they aren't installed.

I've already downloaded but not installed my specific Nvidia drivers. Can the Nouveau and Nvidia drivers co-exist? If not do you think I will run into problems if I install the Nvidia drivers and then purge the Nouveau?

BTW, this issue is more of a nuisance than anything but the 2 to 3 hard shutdowns can't be good for the system.

Thanks in advance.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Don't try to install the drivers from the nvidia website. See »Tried to update nVidia drivers, now Unity is broken..
Instead open up System Settings->Additional Drivers. Choose the most recent drivers. The one that will be labeled "Recommended" won't be the latest. Pick whichever you feel the most comfortable with. I use the latest without issue.
The proprietary option at install time install Flash and multimedia codecs, but not proprietary modules for your hardware. That is done post-install.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

unibroker
Premium
Altadena, CA

I knew it would be worth posting here! I looked at Additional Drivers like you suggested and the one I downloaded, because it was the only option from the Nvidia website, is listed as "experimental". The recommended one is also the current version. Thanks again Maxo.

BTW, do I uninstall the Neauveau drivers?

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL

If you just install from the Additional Drivers screen you won't need to do anything else. The "experimental" driver is the newest, and one I use on my home machine. I would recommend starting off with it. Chances are you will be better off as the latest drivers have some important performance fixes.

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL
reply to unibroker

Did that fix your problem?

unibroker
Premium
Altadena, CA

Not sure. Glad I'm using the Nvidia drivers but with respect to the problem; it still exists and I think it may be the way in which I shutdown. I haven't been too good about properly closing all running programs and just hitting shutdown. I read something about my problem being related to the last session's exit. I'll try it tonight and see what happens tomorrow morning.

unibroker
Premium
Altadena, CA

Much better this morning. I was knocked back to the login screen but after re-signing in the computer stabilized. Interestingly, I was knocked back to the login screen when I tried to fire up Chromium. Maybe I'll download Chrome and see if that is better on the resource usage.

unibroker
Premium
Altadena, CA
reply to Maxo

Wanted to give an update on my freezing problem in hopes that this may help someone else.

Last week someone suggested I run a memtest. From the grub menu I got an error. They then suggested that I remove, one at a time, my ram sticks (I have 2, 1GB sticks) and reboot. With all 3 scenarios (both sticks in place and each one removed) I got the same memtest error from grub. Later on I noticed that gparted has a memtest as one of its opening options so I ran it for 2 passes and both completed with no errors. By the way there is a known bug in grub as well as a patch.

The upside to all of the tinkering with the memory sticks is I have had no freezes/crashes! Seems that just re-seating those 2 sticks has cured what ailed my computer.

Sr Tech
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Valhalla, NY
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER
reply to unibroker

As for installing my Nvidia drivers I used a script from Ubuntu extremes web site.

»ubuntuxtreme.com/howto/how-to-in···-304-64/

The script detects what is in use, removes all existing Nouveau drivers and gives you a choice on which version of Nvidia driver to install.

piper
Premium
join:2001-04-19
Buffalo, NY

You can also just do

apt-get update && apt-get install nvidia-kernel-source nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-glx nvidia-settings

You can also have the latest by using experimental repo

apt-get update && apt-get install -t experimental nvidia-kernel-source nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-glx nvidia-settings

From there, you can either purge or blacklist the nouveau driver as root

echo blacklist nouveau > /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf

and reboot, or

apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

--
debian sid | apt-get into it
proudly anti-micro$oft using aptosid / siduction