AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to cp

Premium Member

to cp

Re: [IPv6] Setting up a Local v6 network using Comcast IPv6

If the link-local addresses are consistent for your devices, you could skip the unique local if you don't need routing and just enter the link-local in to your DNS. The downside is you're unlikely to know just by the address what device it is (i.e. not a high chance of remembering each link-local address). If that's not a concern, that's one less addressing scheme to maintain.
bigjoesmith
join:2000-11-21
Peoria, IL

1 recommendation

bigjoesmith

said by AVonGauss:

If the link-local addresses are consistent for your devices, you could skip the unique local if you don't need routing and just enter the link-local in to your DNS. The downside is you're unlikely to know just by the address what device it is (i.e. not a high chance of remembering each link-local address). If that's not a concern, that's one less addressing scheme to maintain.

I agree. I'm a fan of keeping it simple. IPv6 auto configuration does a lot of work and you can find yourself swimming against the current if you bring some IPv4 thinking over.

»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· guy.aspx is an interesting read on IPv6 address configuration in general and for Windows in specifics.