DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
reply to Kearnstd

Re: Apple 'Invents' Wireless Charging

Tesla's wireless power system used a big copper ball at the top of the tower. I think that constitutes prior art on 'round' or 'rounded'. Apple probably needs to pay back royalties to a flock of pigeons somewhere.

Red_Menace
poking around since 1978

join:2001-11-03
Littleton, CO
reply to DrStrange

Other forms of wireless charging are mentioned in the patent, so it looks like it is just a particular implementation.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
reply to FF4m3

Why are these patent stories showing up in the Security forum? There is nothing there that relates to this forum like the others I have seen.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Cartel

said by Cartel:

nothing to do with security

Just like this one:
»Troll Sues Apple For Daring To Plug Headphones Into iPhone

Did a "Hey Mods" about 2 weeks ago on that but it seems the Mods don't check that anymore.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
reply to BlitzenZeus

said by BlitzenZeus:

These patent trolls would try to patent all of the fundimental discoveries of our time if they were allowed to like fire, and the wheel.

I for one, would not want to take on the tremendous liability issues for the misuse of either technology.

But seriously, why isn't there a more aggressive move in the US towards patent law reform? I'm all for limited-time patents on good ideas. But obviously the test for "novel" is no longer even a consideration, let alone a requirement, to get a US Patent. As for Apple? Yeah, the whole "prior art" thing appears to be their problem here.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to Cthen

said by Cthen:

said by Cartel:

nothing to do with security

Just like this one:
»Troll Sues Apple For Daring To Plug Headphones Into iPhone

Did a "Hey Mods" about 2 weeks ago on that but it seems the Mods don't check that anymore.

My guess the mods just don't give a damn - another thread has been locked today. But a thread with the sole purpose of bashing Apple and the patent system is just fine.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

This is not about the Apple. Why don't you guys see that... It's about the whole patent system in the US, crating this absurd and facilitating patent trolls. Apple is just a good example here. Probably one of the most notorious, but still the example. Others come very close to it, for example, Microsoft. It's the system, that is broken here, not a specific company. These days all companies more or less are just being pushed to play this game in their businesses...

Again it's the US Patent Office, who creates this problem and therefore is at fault here. They found the way to generate a new revenue for them... Don't want to be sued later? Pay them for so called "patents" (whatever it means now).
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
reply to FF4m3

I am in awe of Apples magnificence....

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to FF4m3

I'd make some toast, but I don't know where to send the royalty payment.
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to OZO

said by OZO:

This is not about the Apple.

It's also not about security.
--

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

It would seem that it is not your call to make. The post(s) are still active.
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

Common sense could tell you a patent application for inductive charging is not security related. (A simple word search of the article and this thread can also tell you the same thing)
--

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Quick, call in the Mod Squad! Security breach in forum!

Common sense should tell you the Mods have allowed it...
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

not

@comcast.net
reply to Thinkdiff

Except that Apple's patent on this is area based wireless charging rather than what we've seen so far from so-called wireless charging solution that require you to place the device on top of something to actually complete the charging circuit. Apple wants to do it in true wireless and non-contact based ways (i.e. you have a charging station plugged into an outlet in your home and when you're within so many feet/meters from it, your phone kicks in and charges without even having to pull it out of your pocket or place it on some kind of charging plate.)

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

said by not :

Except that Apple's patent on this is area based wireless charging rather than what we've seen so far from so-called wireless charging solution that require you to place the device on top of something to actually complete the charging circuit. Apple wants to do it in true wireless and non-contact based ways (i.e. you have a charging station plugged into an outlet in your home and when you're within so many feet/meters from it, your phone kicks in and charges without even having to pull it out of your pocket or place it on some kind of charging plate.)

First how exactly are they going to powerize a room and is that going to be a) efficient b) environmental safe (not to say having a third arm growing out of your forehead would be a bad thing) and next I hope my neighbor gets this so I can steal his power. I wonder if enough of my neighbors got this if I could, unplug from the grid and leech my whole house power needs off of them. Now its about security, it just takes an evil bastard to see the hacking benefits

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to not

if its area charging than its not patentable. transmitting power over the air has already been Patented by Tesla.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

blohner

join:2002-06-26
Cortlandt Manor, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Optimum Online
reply to FF4m3

As others have mentioned Braun is the classic example... I would put it at least 20+ years ago... I had Braun in '95 in the US and at least a couple of years before that in Europe - always with inductive/wireless charging...
--
I am addicted to speed --- Boost + speed that is ---

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18
reply to FF4m3

Apple isn't claiming to invent wireless charging itself. All of you and that shitty website The Register are making that claim. Apple is inventing a system that uses existing NFMR technology. This is a patent that builds off wireless charging.

Read the patent for yourself: »www.freepatentsonline.com/y2012/0303980.html

The present invention provides a system and method for utilizing wireless near field magnetic resonance (NFMR) power transmission in a computing environment.
--
less talk, more music

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

said by Ctrl Alt Del:

The present invention provides a system and method for utilizing wireless near field magnetic resonance (NFMR) power transmission in a computing environment.

OK so I read it and still don't see how it could stand a chance for a patent, given its an existing art (thanks Tesla who even demonstrated powering multiple devices concurrently which shoots to hell the multiple device aspect of the patent) and an obvious extension of an existing art (powering computing devices), nor is it unique as existing products exist (»www.getpowerpad.com for example, hell they are even making these for cars so you can power your devices while in your car »www.wirelesspowerplanet.com/news···gration/ and heck that was after doing a simple search for 'near field magnetic resonance', I'm sure there are piles more and older as well, so if I can do this I sure the hell wish the patent office could perform such a search however they continue to disappoint).

Qualcomm demonstrated eZone wireless charger in 2009 ( »mitsloan.mit.edu/newsroom/2009-jacobs.php ) would be another example of why Apple shouldn't be granted a patent for this.

So could someone explain what makes the Apple invent unique and worthy of a patent?

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to Ctrl Alt Del

Apple is "updating" existing technology, not "inventing"...