share rss forum feed

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to unibroker

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 freeze on startup

Don't try to install the drivers from the nvidia website. See »Tried to update nVidia drivers, now Unity is broken..
Instead open up System Settings->Additional Drivers. Choose the most recent drivers. The one that will be labeled "Recommended" won't be the latest. Pick whichever you feel the most comfortable with. I use the latest without issue.
The proprietary option at install time install Flash and multimedia codecs, but not proprietary modules for your hardware. That is done post-install.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

unibroker
Premium
join:2010-11-12
Altadena, CA
I knew it would be worth posting here! I looked at Additional Drivers like you suggested and the one I downloaded, because it was the only option from the Nvidia website, is listed as "experimental". The recommended one is also the current version. Thanks again Maxo.

BTW, do I uninstall the Neauveau drivers?

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
If you just install from the Additional Drivers screen you won't need to do anything else. The "experimental" driver is the newest, and one I use on my home machine. I would recommend starting off with it. Chances are you will be better off as the latest drivers have some important performance fixes.