Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Justfiona

join:2003-04-18
Scarborough, ON

Rogers $10/100mb wifi offer on LTE for tablets etc

Hi,

I am with rogers for tv/internet/cell phones. On the cell phone side, I'm on an old family plan which serves us well. I called to add the $10/100mb wifi for an ipad (my ipad is wifi only) and was told it can't be added to my family plan at all. I'd have to separate the phones out first, which would be a LOT more costly. They said I could instead get a flex rate of $5 for 10mb or $17 for 250 (the rate is one or the other per month, depending on usage) on a 3 year contract. I think this seems high, compared to the $10 for 100 mb, which would have been perfect. I also don't really like contracts.

Has anyone heard of any other offers that might be closer to the $10 mark for wifi in the Greater Toronto area? I'm assuming Rogers isnt the only one with LTE or something similar...

Thanks!
Fiona

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

1) I'm not sure what you're looking for from Rogers if your iPad is wi-fi only. It would need to connect through another device to access the Rogers Cell network.

2) Looks like the $10/100MB plan is a US roaming add-on. At least, that's the only one I could find.

Justfiona

Scarborough, ON

Click for full size
$10/month
It's a special that came in via email on Friday... I'm attaching the email. When I click on the "subscribe now" it really gives me no info - just the wireless web page for a lot of different things.

bt

canada

Odd. That doesn't seem to show up anywhere on their website.

And what they offered you should have been without a contract, given you already have the device you'd be using.

Regardless, it won't do you any good if your iPad is Wi-Fi only. You would need an iPad that supports cellular, or another cellular device that you can tether to.

Justfiona

Scarborough, ON

Thanks... I thought it wouldn't work either, but the sales person said it would because it's on a wi-fi network. I can't figure out how, because if they give me a password, then i could use it on several devices.

Does this mean that there's no carriers who sell wifi plans for wifi-only devices?

bt

canada

Might be a company that sells access to a group of wi-fi hotspots, but it won't compare to cellular service in coverage.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to Justfiona

Yeah never rely on the sales guy especially when they work for Rogers.

Justfiona

Scarborough, ON

Well, if I relied on the sales people 100%, I wouldn't be here lol. So what does tethering depend upon? This is for hubby so that he can use the ipad at work at lunchtime. If he gets a data plan on his iphone 3GS, can he tether the ipad 2 to it, and what does the quality of signal depend upon? Can it be measured by the bars, or is that for voice calls only? I just want to be sure he's got a half decent 3G signal in Vaughn where he works before I start ordering stuff. Is there a way to tell?

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Justfiona

said by Justfiona:

I am with rogers for tv/internet/cell phones.

My condolences.

Why don't you get a decent Android cell phone on Wind, and use the WiFi hotspot feature of the phone to tether the iPad?

No contract. Lower prices than Robbers.

Justfiona

Scarborough, ON
reply to Justfiona

I called Rogers again. Turns out the deal above is not for wireless devices, it's only for cell phones that don't have data plans. It's very misleading if you ask me. But I guess the email did its job. It prompted me to call Rogers and inquire about other plans. Turns out that because we only have a voice family plan, the cheapest thing we can do is get the data plan on the phone and tether it to the ipad. That would be $25 for 500 mb. I have 500 mb on my own phone and probably use 200 a month. They won't let us share my 500mb, so it's probably not worth it, but I would like to know more about tethering if anyone here does it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

They're crazy 25 bucks for 500mb? I pay significantly less then that for 6gb.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to Justfiona

said by Justfiona:

It prompted me to call Rogers and inquire about other plans. Turns out that because we only have a voice family plan, the cheapest thing we can do is get the data plan on the phone and tether it to the ipad. That would be $25 for 500 mb. I have 500 mb on my own phone and probably use 200 a month. They won't let us share my 500mb, so it's probably not worth it, but I would like to know more about tethering if anyone here does it.

Switch to:

Wind
»www.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/Unlim···ans.aspx

Mobilicity
»mobilicity.ca/promotions/save-50/

even Fido @ $57
»www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido···martplan

All are probably less that you'd pay Rogers for voice/data on one service.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
reply to Justfiona

said by Justfiona:

I called Rogers again. Turns out the deal above is not for wireless devices, it's only for cell phones that don't have data plans. It's very misleading if you ask me. But I guess the email did its job. It prompted me to call Rogers and inquire about other plans. Turns out that because we only have a voice family plan, the cheapest thing we can do is get the data plan on the phone and tether it to the ipad. That would be $25 for 500 mb. I have 500 mb on my own phone and probably use 200 a month. They won't let us share my 500mb, so it's probably not worth it, but I would like to know more about tethering if anyone here does it.

What exactly do you want to know about tethering? I think the rep explained it very well. You need a plan that has at least 500mb of data to get official access to tethering on your phone.

IMO, the ad is not misleading. It has pictures of cell phones, not tablets, and you are a rogers cell phone customer with primarily voice only lines, so they were clearly hoping you would add on an internet plan to your existing cell phones.