how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CaptainZero

@192.34.56.x
reply to AnonBob

Re: Any secure anonymous linux distros based on Whonix

I m a little confused. Whonix is a Debian distribution ready to run in Virtual Box. There is a Virtual Box download for Mac but Mac operating systems are out of my comfort zone. I doubt you can make Whomix run on wine but I don't really know. Tails, I2P and Janus VM will all have the same issue. After rereading your topic it appear you want to run wine in Linux. One of the issues you will encounter is getting Microsoft applications to obey the TOR proxy. A specially crafted Word document can be created that will call home and reveal you.

All connections need to go through tor. It would be unrealistic to run system updates thru TOR. Some applications can be configured to run thru TOR and some can't. For Windows servicehost requires an internet connection or you can't connect with no way to Torify it. The only way I see around that would be to chain a VPN to TOR.

Easy to use for non tech savvy users is a bad mix. The first things new users do is Google their own name, log in to a site that has there personal information, install flash and java and start leaking information like a wire canoe. TOR in a default configuration offers good anonymity but it does not stop the user from shooting themselves in the foot. You can not install anonymity, it is a mindset.

Lite weight to be installed on older P4 laptops as main os. Any procesor with TOR Chained to a VPN may encounter latency.

AnonBob

@rogers.com

Windows applications used in the linux os won't be MS Word. Users will need to download some files from foreign countries but that will be pretty much it. Can't talk much more

CaptainZero

@noisetor.net

Roll your own with Debian: »www.torproject.org/docs/debian

Keep in mind that many applications have a mind of their own when it comes to internet connections. Best to keep installed applications to a minimum. That includes Firefox extensions and Plugins. There are no guaranties they will obey the TOR proxy.

unreg

@torservers.net
reply to CaptainZero

said by CaptainZero :

I doubt you can make Whomix run on wine but I don't really know.

Whonix runs in virtual box and runs on windows, linux, mac...

quote:
After rereading your topic it appear you want to run wine in Linux.
You can install wine in Whonix.

quote:
One of the issues you will encounter is getting Microsoft applications to obey the TOR proxy.
Whonix-Gateway can also torify Microsoft Windows and other operating systems.
»sourceforge.net/p/whonix/wiki/Ot···Systems/

quote:
A specially crafted Word document can be created that will call home and reveal you.
This can also be prevented. Read »sourceforge.net/p/whonix/wiki/Ot···Systems/

quote:
It would be unrealistic to run system updates thru TOR.
Whonix does it and it works well. »sourceforge.net/p/whonix/wiki/FA···over-tor

quote:
Some applications can be configured to run thru TOR and some can't.
Whonix can route almost anything through Tor automatically. »sourceforge.net/p/whonix/wiki/In···oftware/

quote:
For Windows servicehost requires an internet connection or you can't connect with no way to Torify it.
Whonix can.

quote:
The only way I see around that would be to chain a VPN to TOR.
Whonix can do that as well. »sourceforge.net/p/whonix/wiki/Op···-support

quote:
Easy to use for non tech savvy users is a bad mix.
Unfortunately... Yes.

quote:
The first things new users do is Google their own name, log in to a site that has there personal information,
Unfortunately... Yes.

quote:
install flash and java and start leaking information like a wire canoe.
Whonix does protect such leaks.

quote:
TOR in a default configuration offers good anonymity but it does not stop the user from shooting themselves in the foot. You can not install anonymity, it is a mindset.
Yes.