San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to tshirt

Re: Creepy. Scary. Ugly.

said by tshirt:

It's hardly big brother which would imply it was forced on you by the Gov't.

Unless the provider offered the choice of a DVR without the cameras, then it is a forced deal. "Sorry, you have to take the camera model, or no DVR" is a likely Corporate offer.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

IF that ultimatum happened, I believe MOST people would refuse, the providers DVR profits would suffer greatly ( a lot more than they would gain from targeted ad fees) and they would have a warehouse full of dusty DVR's.
I think more likely would be to get people to take these with the cameras turned off, and then have promos like "free" showtime for 6 months, IF you let us watch you ("gather data" might sound less voyerish )
Or offering xbox-ish kinect type games for free.
People should outright reject this for hacking reasons (both external and the company (or rogue employees ) "accidently" turning your box on) and the slippery slope this represents, but some will agree without thinking about the long term.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
reply to NormanS
Why does everyone think this technology requires a DVR to function. This snoop-ware can be incorporated in any Set Top Box.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
said by Mr Matt:

Why does everyone think this technology requires a DVR to function. This snoop-ware can be incorporated in any Set Top Box.

It could be, but it won't. Since Verizon requires a set top box to receive channels, incorporating something like this would be a legal minefield. But if they keep it limited to DVRs, thus a "premium" device, they can get away with it unchallenged.
--
Intel i7-2600k /ASRock P67 Extreme4 /4x 4Gb G.Skill /2x Intel 510 series 250Gb SSD /3x WD20EADS 2TB /2x PNY GTX 260 /Silverstone 850W /Custom water cooler /Antec Twelve-Hundred

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

I expect that any Internet connected device with a camera, integrated, or add-on, could be co-opted by a third party. It was with considerable trepidation that I added a web-cam to my desktop. What if the Logitech software phones home and permits some remote operator to access the camera?

Such devices must be fully and unequivocally under the control of the end user.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
I'm probably a little paranoid, but I physically disconnect my webcam when I'm not using it, and I also turn my microphone off (it's a stage mic with a USB powered pre-amp that I built myself).