Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Dodge

Re: Picking location to buy a house

You could use a reputable realtor to help you go over your criteria. Don't even know what your criteria is? The realtor can ask some probing questions to see what you think is important.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27

said by Archivis:

You could use a reputable realtor to help you go over your criteria. Don't even know what your criteria is? The realtor can ask some probing questions to see what you think is important.

I need to narrow down the search a bit before going the realtor route as most of them are local to specific areas and can't go into speculating about the entire state.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

Let me ask you a few questions then.

How far down are you willing to narrow it down. You said "state". Which state are you in and do you require living in that state?

Do you have children?

Many states are rather large, so unless you live in Rhode Island, travel distance to your job is a rather big deal. I live in Pennsylvania, where it takes a solid 7-8 hours to drive from one side to the other and that's if you're taking the turnpike.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

boaterbob
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Moncks Corner, SC

Then, consider 'city' or 'county', railroads or airports nearby (noise level), weather considerations - hurricanes or floods, or tornadoes, or earthquakes, or high summer temps or freezing winter temps. Price of gas - some locations can be as low and others high depending partly on how close to fuel facilities. Type of heating/cooling options. Natural gas available to the house? Fishing and/or hunting allowed nearby? Does the state/city allow you to own guns w/o all kinds of restrictions. Good hospitals and docs close by?

And the list goes on -

Just don't try to find a perfect place as chances you'll end up a year later saying "I wish I had picked that other house instead" and that could eat your stomach up or give you headaches.

Dodge
Premium
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

Let me ask you a few questions then.

How far down are you willing to narrow it down. You said "state". Which state are you in and do you require living in that state?

Do you have children?

Many states are rather large, so unless you live in Rhode Island, travel distance to your job is a rather big deal. I live in Pennsylvania, where it takes a solid 7-8 hours to drive from one side to the other and that's if you're taking the turnpike.

Right now we are in NY, but the housing market around here is priced beyond any rhyme or reason. From quick research online I can get twice the house and 10x land in NJ vs anywhere in NYC (counting all boroughs). Higher upstate in NY would still be a good option for us, but like I said I need no more than 1-1.5 hours to downtown Manhattan.

Here is the list of wants that mostly cannot be had in any of the 5 boroughs of NYC unless you are going into over a mil territory:
- decent back yard, enough to play around with a large breed dog
- enough space in the garage to keep at least one car indoors and still have a work area
- peaceful
- not be right on top of the neighbors
- safe

Obviously this is not the whole list of wants, but these are the items that I can't see getting by staying in NY

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

What attaches you to the area? Just your job?

Acc708

join:2008-06-28
reply to Dodge

A lot of New Yorkers also look towards Pennsylvania due to exactly what you are looking for and dealing with. A lot of good deals can be had there and they aren't all that far. Some counties also have a free website research option where you can do comps of what the houses sell for and when they were built, etc...

Dodge
Premium
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

What attaches you to the area? Just your job?

Mostly, yes.

Dodge
Premium
reply to Acc708

said by Acc708:

A lot of New Yorkers also look towards Pennsylvania due to exactly what you are looking for and dealing with. A lot of good deals can be had there and they aren't all that far. Some counties also have a free website research option where you can do comps of what the houses sell for and when they were built, etc...

I really don't see how PA is 1-1.5 hours away from NYC.

Acc708

join:2008-06-28

Takes about 1hr 45 mins from Philly to East Rutherford. Further north is closer.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

1 edit
reply to Dodge

I grew up in the New York Metropolitan Area and spent my summers as a child between Port Jervis and Middletown in Orange County, New York. If you are going to work in Metropolitan Manhattan consider property along the Erie, Lakawana railroad, the name may have been changed to Conrail. I have a friend I visit that lives in Middletown, N.Y. and takes the train to NYC to attend various sporting events. You can take a train from Port Jervis or Middletown (Silver Lake) N.Y. and other cities further South, East directly into Penn Central. Housing prices in Orange County have not escalated as much as they have on the East side of the Hudson River.

You failed to mention where you work in the New York Metropolitan area. If you work in downtown Manhattan around wall street you can take the Erie Lakawana into Hoboken, New Jersey and then via the Port Authority Trans Hudson Tubes into Chambers Street Station, Manhattan.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to Dodge

You better check the property taxes before moving to NJ. Anyplace nice with a decent size house could run you $15,000/year in property taxes.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by Bob4:

You better check the property taxes before moving to NJ. Anyplace nice with a decent size house could run you $15,000/year in property taxes.

Good advice. Here we don't have to worry too much. Our Real Estate tax is 0.47/100 with no other additional tax except personal property (vehicles, boats etc) of 3.75/100.

I never have understood why the taxes were so excessive up north.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to Mr Matt

Stay away from Long Island.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to Dodge

said by Dodge:

said by Acc708:

trick to commuting from PA is sleeping on the express bus that leaves at 4am
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Dodge
Premium

said by AVD:

said by Dodge:

said by Acc708:

trick to commuting from PA is sleeping on the express bus that leaves at 4am

I have enough back problems to add to them by sleeping on a bus. In general I was never able to sleep in a moving vehicle, bus, train, plain, car, doesn't matter, just can't sleep like that.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

said by Dodge:

I have enough back problems to add to them by sleeping on a bus. In general I was never able to sleep in a moving vehicle, bus, train, plain, car, doesn't matter, just can't sleep like that.

me either, until I started commuting to Brooklyn via mass transit.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to Mr Matt

Port Jervis to NY Penn Station is 2 hr 15 min each way, and costs $418 per month.

Dodge
Premium
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

I already checked that. In comparison to Staten Island taxes seem to be roughly on par for the amount of land you are getting. I just have a feeling that if I'll buy something in Staten Island I'll be miserable and will regret it for a very long time. (I'm using Staten Island as that's the area where we almost wound up buying before).

I like DIY stuff, and there is just no space for any of it in Staten Island.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to Bob4

$418 is monthly maintenance on a parking spot in Manhattan.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to AVD

said by AVD:

Stay away from Long Island.

After Sandy, I'd say that's true. Most of LI is a flood zone, and it's just as shitty as NYC. The property taxes are also higher than a kite.