share rss forum feed

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Teddy Boom

Re: Question for Expert. Can one get a Tablet that...?

said by Teddy Boom:

said by Guspaz:

Nobody around here has an internet connection faster than a modern wifi connection, nor is there any content that requires higher bitrates than you can get out of a wifi connection.

What kind of place do you live in Guspaz? People who live in old construction apartment buildings have no hope of anything but SD video and browsing on 2.4GHz wireless. Same for people in "student ghettos".

Then don't use 2.4 GHz wireless? Most 802.11n devices sold today support 5 GHz. There are exceptions, of course, and there are some slightly older products that don't. My iPhone 4S does not, for example, but this is increasingly rare. And all of these new tablets DO support 5 GHz.

I know that in my apartment 2.4 GHz is saturated enough to cause issues. Nintendo DS/3DS multiplayer gaming is impossible (any game will lag/time out during play because of the 2.4 GHz saturation). This occasionally causes issues for things like Netflix (on devices that only support 802.11g, anyhow). But on 5 GHz, there is so much more spectrum available, it's just not a problem.

I use a three-tiered approach to the problem. For fixed devices that do support ethernet (PS3, 360, PC), I have my apartment wired with ethernet (I run ethernet cabling around the perimeter of the apartment). Then I have a dual-radio access point, which gives me both 2.4 GHz 802.11n and 5GHz 802.11n. Older devices that only support 802.11g use the backwards compatible mode. Middle devices that support 802.11n only on 2.4 GHz use that (and tend to have much less problems because even when saturated, more bandwidth is available). And newer devices use 5 GHz.

If you're talking about a Microsoft Surface tablet, they support 5 GHz, so there are basically no problems.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by Guspaz:

Most 802.11n devices sold today support 5 GHz. There are exceptions, of course, and there are some slightly older products that don't. My iPhone 4S does not, for example, but this is increasingly rare. And all of these new tablets DO support 5 GHz.

You're way off base there. Most off-the-shelf 802.11n hardware *still* doesn't support 5GHz. Same with most Windows-based mobile computers, as I haven't encountered a single off-the-shelfer that had anything more than the cheapest piece of shit 1x1 2.4GHz 802.11n card with no out of the box 5GHz support in the last six months, and I've had multiple Dell, Lenovo and Acer machines that I've had to deal with. In the case of the Dell and Acer machines I always swap them out for an Intel adapter. Lenovo machines are more complicated as they bios lock by PCI-ID, but it's not anything I couldn't get around if I didn't want to. So odd too, because practically any Dell system sold before the 2010s that had 802.11n came with a dual band card.

Now, having said that, getting dual band 802.11n equipment isn't hard to do, nor is the price premium high enough to hold people back, but the vast majority of the stuff out there is still single band 2.4GHz 802.11n. Swapping a single band mPCI-E card is either stupidly easy or a royal pain in the ass depending on the specific model of machine and/or the manufacturer. You're not going to see dual band become the de-facto standard until 802.11ac is everywhere for no reason other than 802.11ac runs in 5GHz alone with the 2.4GHz layer just for G/N fallback.

I will say this though - once you go 5GHz 802.11n with 40MHz channels running in Greenfield mode and have no issues streaming 1080p media across a wireless link, you'll never go back to anything else and wonder how you ever lived without it.