Rumination

»www.nytimes.com/2012/12/ ··· 20121203

SueS
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

SueS

Premium Member

Every time I see my kids and others snapping away with their phones, I wonder how many of those snaps will be preserved.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to 29886823

MVM

to 29886823
Every time I see my kids snapping away, I wondered what was to be done with their shots. I finally asked, as the parents had given up using a digital camera or any other means of getting images. They were now just using their phones. I saw no more shots for a long time until I asked, finally, for a CD of the kids so that I could have my own set of images to watch them grow, other than the few I took. I also asked if those many photos were memorialized for the other set of parents or anyone else beloved. I am now getting a CD or 2, every few months, where I can share in their fun kid moments as are the other set of parents and another family member.

"we’re stripping photography of its awesome powers to keep the past in our sights."

All too true. Even CDs have their life span, and unlike the albums we used to have, unless everything is printed and placed in an album, there is still something missing and much of it is the family history. Plus, the historical picture views of those taking the shots are never there, and unfortunately that has been the case forever. Seldom was my father in a shot. I didn't note that until he died and there was so much of all the rest of us, but not of him. :{

Oh, btw, I don't own a phone with the ability to shoot pictures.

rockhounds_5
Premium Member
join:2004-07-29
Lewisville, TX

rockhounds_5 to 29886823

Premium Member

to 29886823
Having gathered up some of my Dad's old photo albums, I can relate. Also, having learned old school photography, I have boxes filled with prints that I want to digitize. Why? Not sure, but I have over 30K digital photos to deal with and I'm just so overwhelmed with this that I shut down. I go through cycles when I just don't want to take any pictures, and out of laziness (I own two cameras), I use my smart phone to take photos. It does an OK job, but it's not as good. When I go somewhere that I think is photo worthy and take my big camera, and I see people snapping away with their cell phones, I just smile and move on.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

1 recommendation

EGeezer to 29886823

Premium Member

to 29886823
said by article :

... with every digital image we casually take and delete from our iPhones or Androids — we’re stripping photography of its awesome powers to keep the past in our sights.

Every once in a while I go back through images I took years ago that I considered deleting, and I usually find potential rejects that evoke fond memories. Had I deleted them, I would have missed those recollections. Photography is more than straining for artistic perfection.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

3 recommendations

Jodokast96

Premium Member

said by EGeezer:

Photography is more than straining for artistic perfection.

Just so long as you don't publicly display them.