HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan

Re: iFixit teardown of the new iMac.

Please. the glued screen is a major pisser and most will not want to bother with it... Especially that you have to peel off and re-apply new adhesive strip each time... I've replaced parts in the iMacs with the magentically held screen, and there were times where I had to go back because something dislodged during the re-assembly, or to clean a spot on the screen...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Please, just fire up a hair dryer and yeah, some people are REALLY lazy. If you have it in you to pull apart the old iMac you can use a hair dryer. And everyone does a test fit to make sure everything is working before final reassembly including any lint on the screen.

Meanwhile how many times does someone really need to pull apart an iMac? Anyone who has plans on pulling it apart all the time shouldn't have an iMac in the first place...any iMac, new or old.

RiseAbove
Premium Member
join:2004-01-30

RiseAbove to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Please. the glued screen is a major pisser and most will not want to bother with it... Especially that you have to peel off and re-apply new adhesive strip each time... I've replaced parts in the iMacs with the magentically held screen, and there were times where I had to go back because something dislodged during the re-assembly, or to clean a spot on the screen...

the base model comes with 8GB of ram, your average user, who is 80-90% of the people who will buy the low end models will never need more than that nor will they care. I personally havent seen many computers ship with that much ram so at least Apple didn't screw them more by putting in a really small amount of ram.

Plus as someone using the latest macbook air with only 8gb of ram on the ivy bridge chipset the computer is quick. Especially if they spend a few bucks more and get the fusion drive.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by RiseAbove:

the base model comes with 8GB of ram, your average user, who is 80-90% of the people who will buy the low end models will never need more than that nor will they care.

I'll give you that much, that they didn't skimp out, which is somewhat unorthodox, because Apple historically has always put in a piddly amount of ram compared to the cost of the machine... Like 3GB ram in a base $2500 Mac Pro just prior to the most recent update in 2012... LOL...

A bigger pisser is the hard drive though... 2.5" 5400rpm laptop drive... going backwards.

Apple always did fiddle with the laptop/desktop component mix in the iMacs... cpu's, graphics, now drives...

Its a shame they never did release that mythical "headless Mac" that would offer desktop level performance without the cost of the server-based architecture of the Mac Pro.

I think it would have been a very good success. But oh well, that will never happen now.