urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Guspaz

Re: [Rant] New Laptop with Win8 - do not like!

said by Guspaz:

All I can say is that Start8 allows you to replicate the Windows 7 start menu *EXACTLY*

Wow, it's tough to argue with you, that using 'exactly' with stars in capital letters is a bit of a stretch as there are nuanced differences... but it's pretty damned close to original! Impressively so.

I just threw it on to evaluate how much better it is than the last time I used it and it actually works now for me. I'd say it's closer to Windows 7 start menu than Classic Shell... but since Classic Shell is free and does the same thing it's a tough call. I do prefer how classic shell has a separate menu for 'programs' and 'metro apps' whereas Start8 it's a submenu but that's a quibbling difference.

So basically it comes down to Classic Shell if you want a good, free solution or Start8 if you want to pay a few bucks for exactly the same looking menu you had in Windows 7.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
ClassicShell being free is definitely a bonus in its favour, but it doesn't seem to have options to boot-to-desktop or disable hotspots in Win8. IMO those are useful things to.

In fact there are some features in ClassicShell that I'm interested in other than the start menu, so it may be worth combining the two; Start8 for the start menu and metro/hotspot things, and ClassicShell for stuff like the explorer status bars (if they work in Win8).

I really miss in Win8 the ability to tell the resolution of an image from Explorer. I can't figure out how to get that info short of the file's properties dialog, which is tedious if you have a bunch of files to check.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by Guspaz:

ClassicShell being free is definitely a bonus in its favour, but it doesn't seem to have options to boot-to-desktop or disable hotspots in Win8. IMO those are useful things to.

!? ... yes it does. ClassicShell has waaay more options than Start8 has and one of them is 'skip metro' and 'disable active areas'.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
said by urbanriot:

!? ... yes it does. ClassicShell has waaay more options than Start8 has and one of them is 'skip metro' and 'disable active areas'.

Well, they're not mentioned on the ClassicShell website on either the "Features" page or "FAQ" page, so it's not an unreasonable assumption to make.

I only found it when I dug into the changelog.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to urbanriot
I simply don't like the way Classic Shell looks. Start8 seems to have done a better job at replicating the new Windows 8 desktop UI and what a proper start menu might have looked like than anything else I've seen.