norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to koam

Premium Member

to koam

Re: [WIN7] Computer shut down unexpectedly

Looking at those errors and your story had me wondering if the LAN (ethernet) chipset was having troubles as well which would point to a motherboard problem.

Might be worth talking to someone local if you can.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium Member
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle

koam

Premium Member

Thanks. Are there any things I can do to check on this through logs or diagnostics?

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

said by koam:

Thanks. Are there any things I can do to check on this through logs or diagnostics?

Before going any further - create a system restore point and reboot just incase there are problems encountered that cause more concern.

Have you updated to the latest drivers off DELL?

The following is possibly suggestive of a router/computer conflict, possible IPv6 conflict, the need for an updated Ethernet driver possibly, hardware failing. There could be a few things.

If you haven't the latest drivers for the Ethernet chipset, download and disconnect from the network while it updates.
»www.dell.com/support/dri ··· 17-n7010
If you are not sure use the DELL utility on the laptop or the sites detection for drivers.

---------------

For the DHCP, DNS and NetBT errors see the following articles if they persist.

DHCP client event ID 1002: While the link is for sever 2008, I'd see not difference for the network settings for you.
»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· 10).aspx

DNS client Event ID 1014:
»social.technet.microsoft ··· ent.aspx

NetBT Event ID 6008:
»www.microsoft.com/techne ··· rc=NetBT

After checking you have the latest drivers:
First, can you reboot from the computer to the router and see if the errors go away.
Second, Try the DHCP resolve and verify functions in the first link, maybe check if IPv6 can be turned off all together on the router and your computer. Does the errors go away?

These are what I'd look at first before anything else if you have the confidence in your own work.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium Member
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle
·Shoreham Telephone

koam

Premium Member

Thanks for the link to Dell driver tools. The Dell analyzer only found one driver it recommended.... it was a package for bluetooth (didn't know how to even use the bluetooth before, so thanks.) It didn't find any updates for the Ethernet chipset. I haven't had any further issues with connectivity/DHCP, etc.
koam

koam to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian
Please see what happened when I ran diagnostics above.

When you say reboot from the computer to the router, what do you mean? (I have power cycled router, modem and other devices in recent days... the router also automatically reboots itself at 4AM daily).

The DHCP client list for the router shows each device with its own IP.

I haven't had the issue of shutdown happen again, though I normally keep it plugged in which might prevent me from seeing it happen.

Also I've run SAS, MWBAM, & Avast full scans with no problems reported.