how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mimeryme

join:2003-02-08
Hollis, NY

[Business] Actual Speeds much greater than Expected - Line/Modem

Hi, I have a user who is having intermittent issues where her VPN phone is unresponsive until she reboots the phone.

Her connection is a Comcast Business line rated at 12Mbps down and 2Mbps up. During the course of troubleshooting her issue, we had Comcast come out and check her line. The tech performed speed tests. A PC directly connected to the modem showed speeds in excess of 30Mbps down and over 20Mbps up. (Note that when they test with her work laptop behind a router, the VPN generally decreases the speed test results. She gets about 2.5-4Mbps down and 2-4Mbps up. The upload speed is sometimes double what she should be provisioned with.)

I believe there is an issue on her connection that may be contributing to the unresponsive phone issue and the excessive speeds is something that should be a red flag. (Per Comcast, their highest business tier is 100Mbps/10Mbps.)

I've been trying to get Comcast to come out again and investigate the issue and possibly replace her modem. Over the phone, the rep/tech notes all looks fine, but unfortunately I've gotten opposing results on two separate calls in the past when helping another user.

I don't think it's normal for users even if it is Business Class to get such excessive speeds over what they're supposed to be getting.

Could someone advise if my thought process is sound here? Might there be certain things I can specifically ask Comcast to check for? I've mostly been getting that higher speeds is a good thing, but not a good explanation

Thank you.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

Re: [Business] Actual Speeds much greater than Expected - Line/M

That's powerboost (which the biz support people say biz lines don't get but they do, at least they did until they broke the new speed profiles in some areas).

Anyway, I digress...

The speed boosts are normal. I'm not sure why speed tests would be slower while VPN'd, but can you try downloading a large file, e.g.:

wget »ftp://ftp1.optonline.net/test512

Are your sustained speeds after power boost the same with and without the VPN when downloading the above?
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates