join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

Plastic bulbs

Plastic bulb development promises better quality light

If you don't like CFls or LEDs then you'll love Plastic Bulbs. (maybe)

»www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-envir···20553143

Looks like we'll have to wait a couple of years.
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
And a few more years until it is priced cheap enough.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to SparkChaser
such a thing will always need a somewhat high price to be a good business venture.

If they turn out to actually last 10+ years, They cannot depend on the sell em cheap by sell em a lot like normal light bulbs.

Main thing I see with all these new lighting technologies is not always bulb replacements but opening up new avenues for lighting design.

for example a flexible plastic sheet light that could be rolled up but throw light equal to a large florescent fixture? I bet one could sell a bunch of those to contractors. roll it out, and instant lighting in a room being worked on but has the fixtures removed but superior lighting to a drop light and less fire risk than those big 500w tripod halogens.

I know replacing the light bulb is the objective of this startup, But I was must rambling off ideas of places to make initial steps. Automotive lighting is another idea for the interior. accent lighting, under cabinet lighting that one could just apply to the underside with contact cement and the only real labor being a spot to stick the power brick.

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
Watch that being made of plastic that they fail fire code burn ratings, wouldn't that be a good laugh!

How long till they stop selling regular bulbs in the states, I need to get a case of what I need the most. Although I have bulbs that are used everyday for long periods that have lasted 20+ years .........

I wonder when someone gets the lawyers out for the mercury that bulbs that we will be FORCED to buy have ....... remember cigarettes??? They were pushed as not being harmful .......

Nothing gives light like a regular incandescent bulb.

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
reply to SparkChaser
I like this idea a lot, especially if they can make a flat spectrum as promised.

It looks like something that could be made into large sheets of any shape/dimensions, so the potential for aesthetic/artistic uses is huge with this.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to SparkChaser
They have not stated if it can dim though.

This seems to be the one place that non incandescent technologies are still very weak compared to a glowing filament.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Kearnstd:

They have not stated if it can dim though.

This seems to be the one place that non incandescent technologies are still very weak compared to a glowing filament.

The dimming problem of the other technologies is that they are trying to fit in an incandescent market. e.g LED's are great at dimming. They even send analog data over a LED link.
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley