spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

manuetdeo

join:2012-01-04
Sun City, CA

fios and xbox

does anyone now if this is still being worked on? yesterday i fired the app up and its the same 28 channels. did they give up on this or is the a post i missed somewhere?

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
It's still working so they never gave up on it. Did they ever say that more channels would be added?

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17
Work in progress for the existing xBox and Samsung apps....

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:4
reply to manuetdeo
Verizon was probably putting all of their resources into developing the iPad app, and since they probably can't walk and chew gum at the same time, other development may have stopped during the iPad work. Just kidding. Well maybe not.

manuetdeo

join:2012-01-04
Sun City, CA
reply to manuetdeo
when it first came out they said there was to be more channels added, but it still the same. i was just wondering as it lets me watch a few xtra channels in my bedroom where i dont have a set top box.

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA
reply to manuetdeo
It's still only in real time with no way to pause, rew, FF, or record. Without that it's like wathing TV pre-1984 for me, before I started time shifting my TV watching.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to manuetdeo
»multichannel.com/telco-tv/fios-t ··· s/140449

As I posted in the iPad thread, Xbox/Samsung work is ongoing to upgrade to 75 channels. Sounded like MS/Samsung are the ones who have to figure it out.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

It's still only in real time with no way to pause, rew, FF, or record. Without that it's like wathing TV pre-1984 for me, before I started time shifting my TV watching.

What you're suggesting is a full-up DVR-like capability, something you may see someday on an Xbox but probably not on a TV -- unless TVs start including large (hard drive) storage.
Now if the client could run on another device (like a tablet) and use the multi-room DVR capabilities of the STB (versus a direct stream from Verizon), that would be a different story. And is believe that will happen some day, but with the new "media server" product Verizon is developing.

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA
said by PJL:

said by aaronwt:

What you're suggesting is a full-up DVR-like capability, something you may see someday on an Xbox but probably not on a TV -- unless TVs start including large (hard drive) storage.
Now if the client could run on another device (like a tablet) and use the multi-room DVR capabilities of the STB (versus a direct stream from Verizon), that would be a different story. And is believe that will happen some day, but with the new "media server" product Verizon is developing.

I just wish instead of running these linear channels, they would have decided to give us access to the FiOS VOD(free and pay). That is something I could at least use. I don't have access to FiOS VOD right now because I refuse to pay $10 a month to rent an HD receiver. Which is the lowest cost way to get access to the VOD. At least that I'm aware of.

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to manuetdeo
Talking about the XBox and MS it is becoming very apparent that MS have shifted development resources AWAY from theWMC/XBox connection. This still works very well and allows me to easily play my MP3s stored on my PC via the "extender" and view pictures via picassa even and movies stored on my pc.
But the future seems to be:
1) New MS CableBox using a good part of the XBox hardware/software
2) New XBox (720) as a standalone mediacenter
Both will likely use CableCards, IMHO.

So when these 2 are released it will likely be around the same time that FIOS shows more than 28 channels via the XBox on FIOS.

The most annoying thing right now is that MS will not allow anyone to shift their stored MP3s from a PC to be copied onto the XBox. Not even as a one time copy.