Search similar:

uniqs

Foggy
@telus.net

Foggy

Anon

[BC] TELUS High Speed Turbo 25 Usage being reduced 50%

I have TELUS High Speed Turbo 25

My e-mail 'bill ready for payment' notice today included the usual link for messages/changes.

Here's what it said.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Important information for TELUS clients

Effective Feb. 1, 2013, the download/upload usage included with your TELUS High Speed Internet plan will be:

High Speed Lite – 15 GB/month

High Speed – 100 GB/month

High Speed Turbo – 150 GB/month

High Speed Turbo 25 – 250 GB/month

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Here is the link:

»telus.com/content/home-p ··· ices.jsp

They are reducing my High Speed Turbo 25 from 500 GB/month to 250 GB/month.

That's a 50% reduction in download/upload usage for the same price.

Effective less than two months from now.

Without even the courtesy of an explanation.

That's not customer service.

That's arrogance.

Not a peep on the TELUS website.

They are still advertising the High Speed Turbo 25 as:

'Download/Upload Usage - 500 GB/month'

I called TELUS up.

The girl at first didn't know anything about it.

Then she said something about it being more in line with the current internet market.

Then she said that people were downloading illegal movies.

Then she compared it to the price of gas changing at gas stations.

WOW (maybe she was winging it)

TELUS is obviously trying to sneak this one in and hoping that nobody will notice.

I use less than 10% of the 500 GB/month I am entitled to but sneaking in a 50% reduction with no explaination is simply wrong.
Trencher
join:2007-02-12
Etobicoke, ON

Trencher

I wonder if this includes the new Optik 50... since no where on the link does it mention it. If they give me a hard time about it I'll threaten to go to Shaw and call them on breach of contract since I signed up for 500gb/m and not 250.

Anonyshaw
@shawcable.net

Anonyshaw

Anon

It would appear the same for their new speeds as well. That sucks.

Telus rep posted in this thread the data limits sre cut in half.

»High Speed 50/Optik 50 FAQs
WhosTheBosch
join:2009-12-02

WhosTheBosch to Foggy

to Foggy
For years Telus has been saying that they have a superior network, however, the network might now have fallen behind the times and they need to do this to match the speeds Shaw offers. If the network has gotten into such a bad state that's a big concern for the future and people may have to start considering going to *gulp* Shaw. I have no idea why Telus would do this, the only thing that matters though is if they'll enforce the bandwidth caps.

I think there are two main reasons they did this:

1) To match what Shaw offers. That way if the Telus network IS in bad shape and they need more bandwidth on the backbone they can easily start enforcing the caps which should then free up excess backbone for the network. (I mean through everyone using less overall, I realize this isn't a good technical explanation) Do I think the Telus network is in this bad of shape? Not really, but only their network engineers and excs know for sure. As an FYI Shaw offers 250gb for 25mbps and 400gb for 50mbps:

»www.shaw.ca/internet/packages/

* As an aside, these bandwidth caps will become important in the future so why Telus doesn't keep them high and use that as a competitive advantage I don't know. If they do have the better network they should start advertising the higher caps and cause Shaw to match, which if they have a bad network should cause their network performance more problems, thereby making Telus look good. I think Telus is going the way of Telus Mobility though and looking to gain less customers with a higher ARPU (Average Revenue Per User).

2) I think that Telus, along with other ISPs is hoping the the UN finally decides they should attempt to govern the Internet along with the ITU and start charging for the Internet the way that phone calls are charged between countries. (There's formerly secret negotiations going on now.) Would this be bad for everyone but the ISPs? Yes. However, it would allow ISP's to start charging extra tariff's for bandwidth and thereby realize a new revenue stream that is currently dormant. We should all hope this doesn't happen. Anyway, if it does then Telus would love the lower bandwidth levels as they'd have a large new revenue stream that would expand exponentially as more video is transmitted online.

»www.michaelgeist.ca/cont ··· 709/135/

»www.digitaltrends.com/we ··· r-thing/

»www.wired.com/threatleve ··· eetings/

»www.techdirt.com/article ··· te.shtml
bornav
join:2003-06-24
Richmond, BC

bornav

Get this line from the High Speed Contract Terms of Service:

Service Changes

You agree that, to maintain or improve the Services or for other business reasons, TELUS may change the Services rates, service plan features, e-mail addresses, minimum equipment and software requirements and any other aspect of the Services at any time, without notice or liability, at TELUS' sole and absolute discretion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

basically they can go from 500GB limit, to mailing you a banana every month instead, at their "absolute and sole discretion".

I'll go to small claims court if i have to in order to maintain my 500GB.

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

1 edit

pfak to Foggy

Premium Member

to Foggy
Wow. TELUS. Seriously. What the heck?
Luca
join:2002-08-31
Delta, BC

Luca

Do we (telus customers) even have a way to assess how much data we 'consume' currently? I just logged in to my telus account, and noticed a 'usage reminders' section. However, the section contains no information... Could not find a figure with the actual bandwidth usage anywhere. Maybe I missed it.
bornav
join:2003-06-24
Richmond, BC

bornav

I suppose if we have no way to check yet, then it cannot be enforced yet. Im guessing they will roll that feature in with the Feb 1st change date.

On another note, does anyone with some knowledge of Telus practices know if arbitration is required for disputes? Or can one simply file a claim through a the small claims court and deliver it?

Ayzee
join:2010-03-26
canada

Ayzee

I can't believe they would reduce it by HALF. That's pretty substantial.

There is going to be a lot of unhappy customers if they enforce these new caps. I guess we'll have to wait and see how this all plays out, but it's not looking good.

Bauwoo
join:2003-12-07

Bauwoo to Foggy

to Foggy
This only matters if they actually enforce the caps. You can all cry about it once that happens.

PS - O50/50 will obviously be 500GB cap for whoever cares.

nss_tech
join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB

nss_tech to Foggy

to Foggy
Well considering data costs a lot less than what they let on (including cellular) and that on average I doubt the **normal** end user even uses anything near the cap (power users are different story and they are a small % of users usually). If enough users complained, loudly, possibly to the CRTC also, they might get heard. If someone could organize users of all providers nationwide and get them all to complain about the same thing all at once to government and CRTC, that may push some change but I'm talking a large % of the population complaining. Other than that, nothing will change and ISPs will charge what they want for data and impose whatever limits they want.
Expand your moderator at work
ruiner3
join:2012-03-10
Canada

ruiner3 to Luca

to Luca

Re: [BC] TELUS High Speed Turbo 25 Usage being reduced 50%

said by Luca:

Do we (telus customers) even have a way to assess how much data we 'consume' currently? I just logged in to my telus account, and noticed a 'usage reminders' section. However, the section contains no information... Could not find a figure with the actual bandwidth usage anywhere. Maybe I missed it.

There used to be one but they seem to have removed it again. It was kind of broken since a few months ago I used around 500 GB and it reported something like 300 GB used.

AnonDSLGuy
@telus.net

AnonDSLGuy to Trencher

Anon

to Trencher
Good thing no at TELUS actually cares about enforcing upload and download limits; otherwise this news might actually be relevant.

telusguy
@telus.net

telusguy to pfak

Anon

to pfak
Agreed, I may have to look at other options.. I hope with HS 25 down to 250gb, they have HS 50 at 500gb.. that I could live with maybe.

but still... not happy, hope they dont enforce these new caps
tired
join:2010-12-12

tired to Foggy

to Foggy
It could just be that now they've added a new 50 tier they wanted to bring the usages in line so their tiers match Shaw's. In which case it's nothing to worry about.

If it's something more then I suppose March will be the time to do another review of the ISP options that are available to us.

bizarroTelus
@telus.net

bizarroTelus to Foggy

Anon

to Foggy
Shouldn't this be going in the other direction?

Internet should get cheaper/faster over time, not more expensive/more limited.

Netflix users won't like that.
Ikarasu
join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu to Foggy

to Foggy
Teksavvy.com - Re-sells (To put it simply - They don't Re-sell, They use Telus's line/their own bandwidth... which is better than Telus's) Telus, and has an unlimited option. Cheaper than Telus in most cases too (Unless your on a Cheap Discounted plan.

I'm with Telus on a 1 year term right now - $30 a month for 25M internet + Telus Tv. They don't enforce the caps just yet, which is good... because This month I've downloaded 2-3 TB's of stuff. (Normally I hit around 500 GB, but this month has been crazy busy). Once they enforce the cap though... I'll drop them for Teksavvy easily.

I like Ts's service way better, and prefer to support a company that doesn't screw their customers over on bandwidth. But I switched back when Telus wouldn't give them the backbone for 25M, and they were stuck on 6M... Now thats changed.
Kruisey
join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey

Personally I feel that if every customer got your yearly rate Telus would go bankrupt.
You are certainly not an asset to any ISP provider from a business point of view..

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX to Foggy

Premium Member

to Foggy
lol this made it on the front page of /r/canada. Let's all complain about non-enforced caps!

Move to Ontario if you really want something to complain about... 2 years ago Rogers increased the price of the Ulta Lite package by $10, then decreased usage 97% from 60GB to 2GB. 2 GB!!!!!! And those are enforced caps, $5/GB up to $50. Real people are paying that.
Expand your moderator at work
Ikarasu
join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu to Kruisey

to Kruisey

Re: [BC] TELUS High Speed Turbo 25 Usage being reduced 50%

Was this directed to me?

If it was... You'd be wrong. I'm going to quote from memory, a post 2 years ago.

A small company like Teksavvy, who pays a bulk of their fee to Telus to use their backbone, said that at their cheapest plan, their break even point was 300 GB. And thats for a small mom/pop ISP. Someone like Telus who owns their whole backbone and buys bandwidth in much, much larger quantities, pay a fraction of that.

I believe it costs a couple cents per GB actual costs for them. You could probably hit between 2-3 TB before Telus would lose money on their plans, based on their normal pricing.
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by Ikarasu:

Was this directed to me?

If it was... You'd be wrong. I'm going to quote from memory, a post 2 years ago.

A small company like Teksavvy, who pays a bulk of their fee to Telus to use their backbone, said that at their cheapest plan, their break even point was 300 GB. And thats for a small mom/pop ISP. Someone like Telus who owns their whole backbone and buys bandwidth in much, much larger quantities, pay a fraction of that.

I believe it costs a couple cents per GB actual costs for them. You could probably hit between 2-3 TB before Telus would lose money on their plans, based on their normal pricing.

What about the infrastructure cost to sustain the bandwidth ? That's not cheap. TELUS doesn't make 1 penny for HSIA only customer for the first year. The initial cost of acquisition is still high.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to Foggy

to Foggy
Isn't the point (and the decrease) rather moot. Telus hasn't enforced their caps in years. This sounds like the same panic that ensued when telus posted overage charges on their website.

They don't enforce either.

I agree its idiotic. They put caps and overage fees on their website (which probably drives uneducated users to the competition) but in practice they are unlimited (as they don't enforce). I think they'd better off going unlimited and advertise the hell out of it. It would give them a leg up on Shaw.

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak to Symtex

Premium Member

to Symtex
said by Symtex:

What about the infrastructure cost to sustain the bandwidth ? That's not cheap. TELUS doesn't make 1 penny for HSIA only customer for the first year. The initial cost of acquisition is still high.

Bandwidth is a ridiculously small part of the cost. Certainly not enough to justify charging me $70/mo for basic TV and Internet with a 125GB cap.
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

You have idea what are the cost. If you only knew.
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey to pfak

to pfak
Remember Telus was only a Home Phone provider not long ago.
To build up the TV side of their business from scratch must have had dig very deep into their pockets.
Personally I think they have done very well in the short time they have been established .When you think of their incentives given to customers .Yes I understand on a three year term.What other Companies would be as generous?
For the earlier client you states he only pays $30 for his internet and TV.Again no ISP provider needs you to go bankrupt.
Gardener
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC
·TELUS

Gardener to Symtex

Premium Member

to Symtex
said by Symtex:

You have idea what are the cost. If you only knew.

Exactly. We don't have a clue, so we make wild guesses. For example, the difference between the "High Speed" and "Turbo High Speed" price implies that a gigabyte really costs a maximum of four cents, on the old rates, yet the "additional" charge is fifty times that. Curious, that.

I'd love to see a breakdown of the actual costs, but then so would competitors. Pity.

Telus_WHY
@terago.net

Telus_WHY

Anon

Really, just call telus as for the client loyalty retention department. Talk to them about your account explain how not please you are with it. Try and get them to resolve it. When they don't simply go here and file a complaint. If enough of us do this will cause them to stop.

»www.ccts-cprst.ca/en/com ··· int-form

Easy...... that is if everyone does it.

(When is google fiber coming to Canada again?)
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey

Check the usage and pricing of the other big carriers .At the same time the free offers they give before complaining about Telus.
Bell,Rogers and Shaw.