Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kruisey

join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC
reply to fatguy

Re: [BC] TELUS High Speed Turbo 25 Usage being reduced 50%

Then if that was available to the home subscriber also it would solve this problem.

fatguy

join:2006-07-21
Edmonton, AB
reply to Kruisey
.....the business side has unlimited 25/5 for ~85 a month, just for the sake of comparison & that includes your choice of primary hardware (combo dsl modem/router or pure dsl modem) and a preconfigured 4G modem as backup. I would pay that.

Kruisey

Vancouver, BC
reply to Kruisey
When I sign in my correction in above shows' due to'.
When I sign out a 'not due' is there in the post.
"it should read 'Due to the Fact that TV '
Have edited it twice.

Kruisey

Vancouver, BC

2 edits
reply to StarBuck
Have been seriously thinking about this theme.
The TV is a the money maker and the moment Internet is due to the fact its being used as a TV for viewing.
Would folks that use just internet be willing to pay more just for that to get unlimited use say $95 per month?

I don't know how that' not due' got into my thread gremlins at work now corrected

StarBuck

join:2011-01-16
Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to Anon12
Anon12,
while pfak didn't post that info in this thread, he did here: »[BC] 80% of my current usage for an extra $13/month?

Pfak has been a reliable source of accurate info for years, I have no reason to begin doubting him now.

I guess , in the fall, we'll see if he's correct.

Ikarasu

join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to Anon12
If pfak says it'll happen... I'm sure one of his Telus friends who's in the know has told him. So don't expect him to cite a source....

Theres no reason they would lower caps, and then not enforce them. I do however doubt they'll charge the expensive rates they have listed now - I presume they'll follow in bells steps, like they do for Cells - Offer an unlimited plan for premium, and sell block accounts for those who don't "Need" premium.

On a different note.

Shaws 25M comes with 250 Gb... No wonder Telus is lowering it.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not waiting to see if they'll enforce it, when they likely will. I'm going to try to get out of my yearly contract.

Anon12

@telus.net
reply to SB783
So will I but pfak as far as i know does not work for telus, and was just speculating. I also dont recall him saying its coming in fall in this thread?

As for why they would lower the caps, is this still happening, last i seen in this thread the note to lower the caps was missing.

IamTed

@telus.com
reply to SB783
Exactly.

I will drop telus as soon as I get my first overage bill.

I was paying for 25meg service/500 gigs allowance per month..
Now we get to pay more for less.

Guess what Telus....
You lose

SB783

@66.119.191.x
reply to Anon12
Forgive me Anon12, but if I have to choose between you and pfak, I'll go with pfak, who has stated that Telus will begin gouging in the fall. Personally I have no doubt that Telus will enforce their ridiculous caps and the first additional charge I receive will be that last as I will be gone to Teksavvy. They can take the entire Optik package and ......

Gardener
Premium
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to Kruisey
said by Kruisey:

At least Shaw and Telus customers using Internet/TV cannot threaten to switch because it no advantage for either side to change now.

Not so. I could easily add Teksavvy cable internet, replacing my 25 Mbps Optik, and will if the usage limit gets annoying.

Kruisey

Vancouver, BC
reply to Anon12
Then why reduce the amounts in the first place?
'There is no smoke without fire' as the expression goes.
At least Shaw and Telus customers using Internet/TV cannot threaten to switch because it no advantage for either side to change now.

Anon12

@telus.net
reply to bimmerdriver
Why are people still talking in a tone like this is whats happening and they are charging for overages, from what telus has told me they still have no plans to enforce it.

bimmerdriver

join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC
reply to Foggy
If Telus is going to offer a service with "up to XXX GB" per month, they should not be surprised if a small percentage of the users actually use the offered service. If they are going to make a big deal about the "small percentage" of bad users who are actually using the service, I wonder why they won't give a credit to the users that barely use their service at all, such as seniors who send and receive a few emails each week. Since those users aren't using even 1% of their cap and not getting anything back, this obviously is not about fairness, it's about putting the screws to a few users because they can. And some people wonder why ISPs are among the most disliked service providers...

Kruisey

Vancouver, BC

1 edit
reply to pb2k
I do not think anything can be done about this subject while Telus and Shaw have a monopoly for TV/Internet in Western Canada.
I personally feel very sad about this because I thought that when Telus started providing TV it would compete against Shaw which they did to start off.
Now its a case of well they either pick one or the other for TV/Internet packages so why compete when both can be earning the same profit.
TV packages can be the money makers .To force the General Public to buy more TV packages and make that money ,cut down on the amount of internet use.
Also we are forced to subscribe to a lot of rubbishy channels we do not wont to get the ones we do like.
That is very wrong.
This is a like to entering a Shopping Mall and being made to buy a pair of jeans we don't like to get the pair we really do like.Now that would never happen.
On Telus's side they have had to spend a lot financially to set up the TV side of their business where as Shaw had been established for years.Also Telus was over generous with their free gifts and maybe
realizing this at last are having to re coupe their losses on this side of the business.
Must admit Telus has come along way in TV quality of picture and the Technical Services,when one can reach them ,have been most helpful when problems arose.

pb2k

join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to South_of_22
Comparing to my dd-wrt traffic logs, seemed pretty solid right up until i noticed that telus forgot about december 31st, which worked out just fine for me, as I had big queue of stuff to dl in the wee hours of that morning.

Oh, and for those of you who are complaining: the internet works on oversubscription. If everyone tried to use a 250gb cap, with most of it spent during primetime (say a 10 hour window per day), telus would need over 2 terabit/s of capacity to support 1.3 million customers.

Ikarasu

Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to Foggy
»forums.redflagdeals.com/bell-fib···1293434/

I have a feeling this is where Telus is going to be heading.

"Our networks cant handle people downloading so much... but pay us $10 more, and subscribe to TV/phone, and we'll accomodate you!)

Ikarasu

Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to Foggy
[Edit] until I can find a better link ;P

South_of_22

join:2009-03-23
reply to Exand
I think Telus's bandwidth meter (what is shown on PDF bill) is borked.

I used over 530gigs for my December billing cycle, and the PDF bill shows that I only use 292gigs.

Hey........ Not complaining, just hope it remains in my favor for future months.

Exand

join:2001-10-28
Canada
reply to bluenote73
Called in about my Optik internet contract expiring in a few months and asked about the cap drop this morning.

No new info, just describing my call below.

It doesn't seem like a memo on the cap drops has made the rounds yet (?) because the support person didn't know what I was talking about and had to go ask someone. They did confirm the cap drop starting Feb 1.

I asked about how overage fees were going to be handled and got the canned "we don't charge overage just suggest upgrading you to the next level of service". When I asked what that was when I'm already on Optik Turbo (I didn't say anything about Turbo 50) I got what I took to be a nervous laugh from the csr and no direct response...

Same old, same old I guess.

Between Netflix through a proxy, PSN/XBL/Steam games and patches, work file transfers I'm still only around 300GB~400GB a month so I'm not too worried about overage. But it's annoying nonetheless to even have to be concerned about my usage when I'm just using it for what I feel is "regular" use in this day and age :|

fatguy

join:2006-07-21
Edmonton, AB
reply to Foggy
I've heard that they will treat the new caps like the old caps...only throttle/cut-off those that chronically exceed the cap by a significant margin....of course this will put a ton more people in that window, myself included. I have been pretty consistent at 400-450Gb on my 500Gb plan. But w/ only 400Gb limit now, i can see a problem on the horizon.

bluenote73

join:2009-02-17
V4N6A5
reply to Foggy
Still waiting on a final outcome here. And this needs to be in the public eye.

bluenote73

join:2009-02-17
V4N6A5
reply to zod5000
Because they take the (very) long view

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to StarBuck
said by StarBuck:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight , Telus are just poking the hornets nest , by cutting caps, but have no intention of of ever enforcing those caps....
I mean it makes perfect sense to piss off a good number of customers who've just signed up for 50/10 or 25/3 for no reason..

Seems logical to me.

Oh and Telus have no way of charging overages .... gee .. really ?

Things that make you say mmmmmhhhh.

They do like to poke the hornets nest. How many years has it been since the posted the overage fees. Have they charged them yet? Nope.

Telus is a bit wierd this way. They have the infrastructre and don't really need to worry about caps. There at a bit of a speed disadvantage to their competion. Yet the fell the need to post caps and overage fees (even though they aren't enforced).

Imagine of Telus dropped it, and put unlimited in all of their advertising.. I've never understood why they don't.

slidebite

join:2012-12-07
Lethbridge, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Foggy
»telus.com/content/internet/high-speed/

STILL shows as 500GB cap for 25mb.

If they're "officially" changing the caps, enforcing or not, that's a bizarre thing to still advertise if it's gone in less than a month.

StarBuck

join:2011-01-16
Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to Ternerito
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight , Telus are just poking the hornets nest , by cutting caps, but have no intention of of ever enforcing those caps....
I mean it makes perfect sense to piss off a good number of customers who've just signed up for 50/10 or 25/3 for no reason..

Seems logical to me.

Oh and Telus have no way of charging overages .... gee .. really ?

Things that make you say mmmmmhhhh.

Ternerito

join:2002-08-31
GVA
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to a9
Strange. I guess it depends who you speak to. When I called yesterday to cancel my telus service, I made sure to explain that the reason for that was the upcoming caps.

At first I was told that I might have been thinking of UBB, and that was scrapped. Explained this was different, and that notices went up both on the telus web site and on my online bill.

After a few minutes wait, the rep came back assuring me that yes, the caps were actually being reduced, but they were NOT going to be enforced, not now, not ever! She went on and added that telus could not do that (charge for exceeding the caps) "even if they wanted"...

I felt compelled to point out that the service agreement gives telus the right to do pretty much whatever they want, which they are. Also asked her what was the point of lowering the caps (and start showing the data usage on the bill), if the caps were not going to be enforced, but there was no answer to that.

moa0oikfoso2

@telus.net
reply to Foggy
Guess telus has to pay the execs somehow. The Telus corporate jet has been sitting in Santa Barbara since December 18. I'm sure this is business related...lol.

a9

join:2005-04-10
reply to Foggy
Yep.

Talked to Telus rep.
This is happening.

I even checked online and looked at "Recently Viewed Usage Reminders" and you can see that they're just about set to turn this on.

Absolutely terrible news.

South_of_22

join:2009-03-23

3 edits
reply to tofusl
said by tofusl:

Did anyone notice that the memo about the bandwidth cap doesn't exist on their changes page anymore?

»telus.com/content/home-phone/notices.jsp

A cached version is on Google
»webcache.googleusercontent.com/s···messages

and 400gigs is now permanent on the optik/hs 50 plan

The 2 reps I talked to on the phone tonight confirmed that the new bandwidth caps are taking effect Feb 1rst, and there 'Will be overage charges'.

Complete utter BS I tell you. BS.

If it was not for the fact that I got a 12 month retentions discount, I'd be filing many complaints with many outlets.

slidebite

join:2012-12-07
Lethbridge, AB
reply to bluenote73
If I had to bet, my guess is they're dropping it right now.. but probably to do something more nefarious in the future.