Search similar:

uniqs
bluenote73
join:2009-02-17
Canada

bluenote73 to Foggy

to Foggy

Re: [BC] TELUS High Speed Turbo 25 Usage being reduced 50%

Still waiting on a final outcome here. And this needs to be in the public eye.
bluenote73

bluenote73 to zod5000

to zod5000
Because they take the (very) long view
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to StarBuck4

to StarBuck4
said by StarBuck4:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight , Telus are just poking the hornets nest , by cutting caps, but have no intention of of ever enforcing those caps....
I mean it makes perfect sense to piss off a good number of customers who've just signed up for 50/10 or 25/3 for no reason..

Seems logical to me.

Oh and Telus have no way of charging overages .... gee .. really ?

Things that make you say mmmmmhhhh.

They do like to poke the hornets nest. How many years has it been since the posted the overage fees. Have they charged them yet? Nope.

Telus is a bit wierd this way. They have the infrastructre and don't really need to worry about caps. There at a bit of a speed disadvantage to their competion. Yet the fell the need to post caps and overage fees (even though they aren't enforced).

Imagine of Telus dropped it, and put unlimited in all of their advertising.. I've never understood why they don't.
slidebite
join:2012-12-07
t1n3n5

slidebite to Foggy

to Foggy
»telus.com/content/intern ··· h-speed/

STILL shows as 500GB cap for 25mb.

If they're "officially" changing the caps, enforcing or not, that's a bizarre thing to still advertise if it's gone in less than a month.

StarBuck4
join:2011-01-16
Beverly Hills, CA

StarBuck4 to Luca

to Luca
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight , Telus are just poking the hornets nest , by cutting caps, but have no intention of of ever enforcing those caps....
I mean it makes perfect sense to piss off a good number of customers who've just signed up for 50/10 or 25/3 for no reason..

Seems logical to me.

Oh and Telus have no way of charging overages .... gee .. really ?

Things that make you say mmmmmhhhh.
Luca
join:2002-08-31
Delta, BC

Luca to a9

to a9
Strange. I guess it depends who you speak to. When I called yesterday to cancel my telus service, I made sure to explain that the reason for that was the upcoming caps.

At first I was told that I might have been thinking of UBB, and that was scrapped. Explained this was different, and that notices went up both on the telus web site and on my online bill.

After a few minutes wait, the rep came back assuring me that yes, the caps were actually being reduced, but they were NOT going to be enforced, not now, not ever! She went on and added that telus could not do that (charge for exceeding the caps) "even if they wanted"...

I felt compelled to point out that the service agreement gives telus the right to do pretty much whatever they want, which they are. Also asked her what was the point of lowering the caps (and start showing the data usage on the bill), if the caps were not going to be enforced, but there was no answer to that.

moa0oikfoso2
@telus.net

moa0oikfoso2 to Foggy

Anon

to Foggy
Guess telus has to pay the execs somehow. The Telus corporate jet has been sitting in Santa Barbara since December 18. I'm sure this is business related...lol.
a9
join:2005-04-10

a9 to Foggy

to Foggy
Yep.

Talked to Telus rep.
This is happening.

I even checked online and looked at "Recently Viewed Usage Reminders" and you can see that they're just about set to turn this on.

Absolutely terrible news.

South_of_22
join:2009-03-23

3 edits

South_of_22 to tofusl

to tofusl
said by tofusl:

Did anyone notice that the memo about the bandwidth cap doesn't exist on their changes page anymore?

»telus.com/content/home-p ··· ices.jsp

A cached version is on Google
»webcache.googleuserconte ··· messages

and 400gigs is now permanent on the optik/hs 50 plan

The 2 reps I talked to on the phone tonight confirmed that the new bandwidth caps are taking effect Feb 1rst, and there 'Will be overage charges'.

Complete utter BS I tell you. BS.

If it was not for the fact that I got a 12 month retentions discount, I'd be filing many complaints with many outlets.

slidebite
t1n3n5

slidebite to bluenote73

to bluenote73
If I had to bet, my guess is they're dropping it right now.. but probably to do something more nefarious in the future.
bluenote73
Canada

bluenote73 to Telus30mbps

to Telus30mbps
Considering they are leaving the other notifications up, it does seem fishy. But it would be too much to hope for that they have backed off completely on UBB. Probably just a trickier move to try and keep this information on the down low.
Gardener
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC
·TELUS

Gardener to slidebite

Premium Member

to slidebite
More likely the left hand of Telus does not know what the right is doing. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how this service cut plays out. I'm considering Teksavvy's cable internet - the price is reasonable, and unlimited is good for peace of mind. I do not want a $100 bill for going 50 GB over my (reduced) allowance.
slidebite
t1n3n5

slidebite to tofusl

to tofusl
^^ Maybe so, but they're still advertising High Speed 25 as a 500GB per month. If they are changing in less than a month for anyone that signs up, they're only putting themselves in a bigger pickle with regulators.

»telus.com/content/intern ··· h-speed/
said by tofusl:

Did anyone notice that the memo about the bandwidth cap doesn't exist on their changes page anymore?

That is interesting, isn't it. Especially since they still have notices for things that take effect before it up. I wonder if something is afoot.

Telus30mbps
@74.198.150.x

Telus30mbps to tofusl

Anon

to tofusl
It changes monthly. Surprising that they are dropping Spike TV. In approx it'll change again. As the messaging is printed on bills they only have to give a little notice on the website for courtesy for a short period on bandwidth. Expect another update in the summer for announcing Fall UBB (so a Rep tells)
slidebite
t1n3n5

slidebite to CCTSrules

to CCTSrules
Good for you! I'll check into the same!
tofusl
join:2009-04-08

tofusl to CCTSrules

to CCTSrules

CCTSrules
@terago.net

CCTSrules to bluenote73

Anon

to bluenote73
Reading through this,

»www.ccts-cprst.ca/wp-con ··· 2012.pdf

It sure would be nice if they failed to respond and the CCTS awards us $5k in damages.

StarBuck4
Beverly Hills, CA

StarBuck4 to Arthur Dent

to Arthur Dent
Mr Dent.

Teksavvy said that that note applies to the regular "limited" account , and that the unlimited account is well unlimited.

They couldn't comment on when they will be rolling out higher speeds , she didn't know that Shaw/Telus were offering higher speeds than 25, although that's not surprising as she was in Ont.

It will take roughly a month to get cable once install payment is made.
It will take roughly 2 weeks for DSL. If you currently have Telus, then there may be a few days down time as DSL has to be cancled first before they can switch to Teksavvy.
As I have DSL and want cable, I would just order cable and there would be an overlap ( no down time)

As much as I'm loving the 50/10, I love unlimited more. I'm really pushing the wife to switch to netflix ( US) and ditch Telus optik all together. We pay roughly $200 month for everything, , I'd loved to pay 40$ /month for unlimited internet and ditch TV.

I'm not sure Telus have correctly estimated the blow back they are going to get if /when they start gouging.. I imagine a lot of folks who switched to 50/10 will probably be thinking of leaving as they wouldn't have switched if they didn't want to use the interweb.

If Teksavvy can break even around 600G, I'm sure Telus can probably double that as they own the network.
bluenote73
Canada

bluenote73 to CCTSrules

to CCTSrules
Its been about two weeks of the 30 days they need to respond in and I haven't heard anything about my CCTS complaint (aside from, that it was approved by CCTS).

CCTSrules
@terago.net

CCTSrules to Arthur Dent

Anon

to Arthur Dent
I just received back confirmation from the CCTS on my case I filed with them about dropping the caps. They agreed with me and have given them 30 days to resolved to the mutual satisfaction of both myself and the Telus.

I would highly suggest EVERYONE that has a complaint about this file a complaint with the CCTS so they simply just back out of change.
Arthur Dent
join:2011-01-27
Calgary, AB

Arthur Dent to StarBuck4

to StarBuck4
StarBuck, what did Teksavvy reply to you about the unlimited - is it all the time or just 2-8am?
BadMagpie
join:2011-02-05

BadMagpie to StarBuck4

to StarBuck4
Do you have the option of getting a second line? For a brief time I had one line with residential phone and Turbo 25, and on the second line I had Business 25 only.

Also TekSavvy doesn't offer cable in AB. They do have the 25/2 unlimited option here though, but now that I've had a taste of > 5 mbit uploads I can't go back.

StarBuck4
Beverly Hills, CA

2 edits

StarBuck4 to BadMagpie

to BadMagpie
BM,

I tried to switch to the business "unlimited" account , as I can forgo 50/10 if it means unlimited. In addition I was hoping for an ALU... I mean I'm a business after all LOL Still , seems far too expensive compared to Teksavvy's 25/2.5 cable unlimited @ $44.

Nope , not possible as I have Optik TV, seems strange as I'm sure there must be businesses that want TV too.... perhaps the boss likes to watch World cup during lunch...

Teksavvy's DSL is 10% more expensive that their cable and has anyone noticed the fine print wrt DSL... only unlimited between 2am and 8 am ?? or do they mean that the regular account is unlimited for those hours and the "unlimited" account is truly unlimited ? That deserves a clarification phone call ... I know logically what it should be but then it's obvious , that these days, companies will do everything in their power to screw every last penny out of their customers... that's what fine print in for LOL

If /when Telus start UBB us into the ground, then it will be Teksavvy cable/Optik TV ( as the wife won't let go of Optik)
Maybe by then Teksavvy will have rolled out higher speeds on either DSl or Cable
BadMagpie
join:2011-02-05

BadMagpie to Foggy

to Foggy
Telus also has unlimited 25/5 (if you can get those speeds in your area) for 84.95.

Office Internet
Your Business Anywhere Plus bundle includes 1 High Speed Internet connection with unlimited usage.

It speedtests around 25/6.5.
Ikarasu
join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu to Foggy

to Foggy
I know I was going to avoid replying to you... ;p but this one doesn't seem like a troll question.

Teksavvy does have that logic. They go by word of mouth - They posted stats in their forums all the time, but I'm too lazy to go dig through it.

Off the top of my head... They said something like 600 GB of data is where they break even. And that it costs them pennies per GB over that. So even if they do go in the hole from a customer, they go in the hole by like $1, and the appeal of unlimited + Word of mouth from the people who are tech savvy, more than makes up for the offset.

It also has been proven, that the whole "1% of users use 90% of bandwidth" thing is a lie. When Bell mentioned it in the CRTC hearings, the courts asked for proof - Something bell couldn't supply. (IIRC... Again this was like 2 years ago).

And for the $5 off. I'm not sure if Teksavvy still does it, but they used to give $1 off per month, PER refferal. So if you reffer 20 friends... as long as theyre on Tek, thats $20 a month off. Seems small... But its effective. And its so easy to convince people to make the switch, with Telus being the way it is right now.

zajacz
join:2002-09-21
Calgary, AB

zajacz to Kruisey

to Kruisey
said by Kruisey:

I think the logic behind Teksavvy is to get the customers and hope only a few are heavy users.
Notice pricewise similar to Telus.
Remember Telus gives $5 off for bundling.
Actually has anyone ever taken a survey on Percentage that do over use their limits?

How are Telus and Teksavvy similar? According to Telus's website, Turbo 25 is $62. $5 off for bundling brings it down to $57 per month for what will be 250 GB a month maximum usage. Teksavvy is $55 per month for unlimited usage 24/7.
Kruisey
join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
I think the logic behind Teksavvy is to get the customers and hope only a few are heavy users.
Notice pricewise similar to Telus.
Remember Telus gives $5 off for bundling.
Actually has anyone ever taken a survey on Percentage that do over use their limits?
Ikarasu
join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu to Kruisey

to Kruisey
said by Kruisey:

Teksavvy unlimited usage between 2AM and 8AM.
Set your alarm clock for 2AM.
Primus only 7MB. No 25Mb

As others have said. Their non unlimited plan, which is cheaper, gives you unlimited between certain hours.

Their TRUE unlimited plan, gives you unlimited 24/7. As with all the other companies I listed.

spock8
join:2012-07-08

spock8 to Kruisey

to Kruisey
There are 2 types of 25m at teksavvy. One is unlimited one is not.
Luca
join:2002-08-31
Delta, BC

Luca to Kruisey

to Kruisey
No. TS DSL $55 plan is unlimited. The time restriction you mention only affects their cheaper ($48) plan.