uniqs
share rss forum feed
Expand your moderator at work

bluenote73

join:2009-02-17
V4N6A5
reply to Foggy

Re: [BC] TELUS High Speed Turbo 25 Usage being reduced 50%

So is anyone else P-O'd enough to call in and try to cancel without a fee? Or to try and get grandfathered? It can't be just me.

bimmerdriver

join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC
reply to Kruisey

Okay, so now you're trolling for Big Content as well. In case you didn't get the memo, Big Content is rolling in money. They are not suffering.

Kruisey

join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC
reply to Kruisey

I presume you mean these words I wrote ealier.
There is nothing pertaining to the word Troll in there.
Just asked a question.

Tornado15550

join:2012-12-16
Canada
reply to Foggy

Way to keep the page hidden, Telus!
WTH?
Such a huge change should be listed on Telus's main website!
Unbelievable, Telus.
Unbelievable!

andsoitgoes

join:2005-04-22
Surrey, BC
reply to Foggy

God It is amazing how these threads get derailed. These discussions about anything BUT TELUS raising its caps makes me realize that our goal in society is a [insert organ or bodily function] contest.

Listen, it's simple. The ONLY factor that comes into play is if they will enforce any of the caps, and if they are reducing these caps to chamber their weapon for the future IF they decide to actually put the clamp down.

I don't know how much I use. There's no way for me to test via any link, not from my modem, nothing. I have never gotten a notice for usage.

But if I ever do, and ever have issues, there's ts, no? I would mess up some issues with TV, but still... It would be freeing I think

Seriously though. Caps... What's the point? It's not enforced and is probably being done to prepare if they ever decide to enforce. Has that not always been the case? Is there anything different now? Is it FUD?

slidebite

join:2012-12-07
Lethbridge, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

I think the problem with relying on enforcement is nobody has a clue whether they will or not... but they certainly could and obviously are starting to pay attention to bandwidth in some regard because they are going down this road. In a typical month I am probably under 60gb so I'm not really going to suffer either way, I just hate an ISP doing rollbacks in a time when, if anything, it should be going the other way.

bluenote73

V4N6A5
reply to Foggy

A couple of points :

1) If they aren't going to enforce, then why wouldn't they grandfather me or agree to waive any overage fees for the duration of my contract?

2) I was treated very rudely by the time I got to escalations and they looked at my usage. Basically they accused me of torrenting (which I don't). At escalations they kept trying to blame it on me, when obviously they offered the product at such and such cap, and Im below that cap (but close). Not my fault.

End result: telus is extremely deceptive with their contracts , and basically an evil company.

You wont find a single thing on the website suggesting that your "contract" is actually just a sham that completely screws the customer while giving telus all the leeway in the world.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

said by bluenote73:

1) If they aren't going to enforce, then why wouldn't they grandfather me or agree to waive any overage fees for the duration of my contract?

That's because overage charges are coming .. My friend
--
The more I C, the less I see.

Onetwo

join:2009-04-14
Medicine Hat, AB

Is that confirmed...People keep saying stuff and im not sure if they know something, or its just speculation they think its coming.

By the way everytime i phone into telus i get different responses from different people.

bluenote73

V4N6A5
reply to pfak

said by pfak:

said by bluenote73:

That's because overage charges are coming .. My friend

I agree with your assessment. are you guessing though like I am?
If it does go ahead, I will pay the cancellation, and switch to teksavvy.
And make sure everyone I know knows what deceptive practices telus uses.
I will update you guys with the results of my ccts complaint.

Tornado15550

join:2012-12-16
Canada
reply to Foggy

Will there be a drop in price because of this?
If so, then by how much?

tired

join:2010-12-12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TELUS
reply to Foggy

Bah.. First Shaw threatened to screw us with the UBB so I left for Telus, they said sorry so I went back for them to screw me around yet again so I go back to Telus. Now Telus are pulling this crap. I'm sticking around just in case this is just them trying to upsell heavy users on Turbo 50 and not a precursor to UBB. But if it's more, then I guess it's time to jump ship again. Luckily February coincides with when my promo is up.

But between the usage caps and the copyright trolls moving north, I'm seriously considering whether it's worth having an Internet connection at all.

Exand

join:2001-10-28
Canada
reply to bluenote73

said by bluenote73:

and switch to teksavvy.

You mean the company that won't stand up to US copyright trolls by opposing a disclosure motion?
»torrentfreak.com/canadian-isp-de···-121218/

Even Telus and Shaw stepped up to the plate previously.

tired

Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TELUS

This year Shaw had income of $5 billion and Telus had $10.8 billion. I'm sure you can appreciate that Teksavvy is a teeny bit smaller. Bill Gates and Warren Buffet can afford to do things I can't. What a shock.

There's a reason that Voltage chose Distributel (the company that couldn't even be bothered to show up) and Teksavvy as their first forays into Canada. It sucks, but at least Teksavvy are doing the best they can.

The fault here is with the government for passing the stupid law that made this possible and Voltage for taking advantage.

Exand

join:2001-10-28
Canada

said by tired:

This year Shaw had income of $5 billion and Telus had $10.8 billion.

And Teksavvy had $25 mil in 2010 and $45 mil in 2011 for revenue on the backs of customers that thought the company would look after their privacy. Which they aren't when they decided not to even put up a token fight.

tired

Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TELUS

2 edits

And how exactly is it that their customers privacy isn't being looked after? Has the information for one subscriber been passed into the hands of Voltage? Didn't think so...

Distributel are the ones who didn't even put up a token fight, and by now those IP addresses are all in the hands of the trolls.

In comparison, Teksavvy appears to be being... well, quite savvy.

Branflakes

@74.198.150.x

I think it's pretty clear that TELUS is seriously looking at implementing UBB. Data is their biggest cash cow. On the day we found out they are slashing bandwidth Internet usage caps significantly Rogers announced a huge amount of profit from cellular data. The thing is TELUS is a cell company a very profitable one and most of that profit comes from data charges. They had built new data centres and made investments (which is good).

Now is the time for them as a business and be responsible... look to recoup costs of investment. Over the past few years there have been those press releases with "Telus investing $1.7 bill in network" each year. TELUS has a cellular phone company mentality. They will Unfortunatley look to be proactive in reducing caps leading to potential charges. This is the nature of the way they operate. Data charges are in their DNA.

TierX

join:2009-01-20
Canada
kudos:8

said by Branflakes :

I think it's pretty clear that every cable co and telco is seriously looking at implementing UBB. Data is their biggest cash cow.

There, I fixed it for you.

Branflakes

@74.198.150.x

FYI - MTS actively advertise unlimited Internet for the past few years including TV ads. Sasktel and Bell Aliant I don't think have caps either.
I'm sure every company has looked at the model of UBB, but this is the Telus forum and Telus is making some Massive cuts to allowances. So as much as you change peoples quotes to deflect the companies actions the fact is still an announcement went up (hidden on the website) that usage is cut up to 50%. The least logical and sensible person would have to recognize what's coming next.

mdub6

join:2008-10-28
Canada

It definitely looks like Telus will be enforcing the cap. The 50% drop is about as obvious as a kick in the nuts.

I guess its probably a good thing that a lot of us are stuck on pathetically slow profiles. If I had anything better than a 6/1 connection.... I would be paying overages for sure!!

roach9

join:2005-04-10
Surrey, BC
reply to Foggy

My throughput over the last 31 days has been over 5TB...

I sure hope they don't start implementing UBB or I'm going to be on the hook for about... $2/GB....

4,750GB overage...

So about $10,000 after taxes.

That would be a really, really bad bill.

bluenote73

V4N6A5
reply to Foggy

this is one of those situations where the people who think they are unaffected stand by and let it happen and when it finally does affect them, it's too late.

I would hope that I wouldn't have to spell it out. all of our data usage is going to go up up up over the next years. everyone needs to post on their Facebook that telus breaks contracts and writes phony deceiving advertising. and file with ccts.

Mike_C

join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC
reply to roach9

said by roach9:

My throughput over the last 31 days has been over 5TB...

5TB? What are you downloading/streaming? Even on my heaviest downloading months I've still not come close to that.

Gardener
Premium
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to roach9

said by roach9:

So about $10,000 after taxes.

Keep it up - you can help Telus pay for FTTH in my neighbourhood.

Branflakes

@74.198.150.x
reply to Mike_C

At 2.3GB per hr Netflix HD a family home streaming on a few tv's each day could do that in a month.

GaiaChaos
The Illusion of Gaia

join:2006-11-08
Vancouver, BC

This is nothing but anti-competitive practice. TELUS knows lots of people are using Netflix and other services and the only way to get people to use TELUS' own TV service is to charge customers extra money for exceeding quota. Investors are most likely disappointed that the TELUS TV service is not going well as planned -- sales-wise. Someone told me there are a couple of investors lurking in this forum and spreading false information about TELUS' services, but he hasn't confirmed this. So I'll just assume this is not true for the time being until I can find a match.

I think all the cable companies and telcos in North America follow this kind of monopolistic practice.

Let's see how the TELUS shills explain this one. Huh.

slidebite

join:2012-12-07
Lethbridge, AB
reply to Foggy

I contacted telus and asked them about my usage, and they couldn't tell me. Does the Actiontec keep a log of data volume by chance or is there a tool a person could use?

StarBuck

join:2011-01-16
Port Coquitlam, BC

1 edit

My usage suddenly began appearing on my printed bill a couple of months ago. Not too accurate I might add ( in my favour) so I don't know how they are calculating it. As I'm not using Telus hardware, I know it's not a local log.

If you're interested I'd look at you on-line bill, but you'd have to view the pdf version to see usage , the "usage" tab shows nothing.

I have used Dumeter for many years, but I switched to networx (free) recently. ( I compared the two and they produced comparable results that were also in line with the logger on my router)

I contacted Telus to ask about usage and when they were going to begin charging overages.... The CSR wasn't aware that Telus were counting.. ( The CSR was very helpful, was surprised when I mentioned that usage was only appearing on my pdf bill ... seems Telus like to keep most their staff in the dark.)