how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Branflakes

@74.198.150.x
reply to TierX

Re: [BC] TELUS High Speed Turbo 25 Usage being reduced 50%

FYI - MTS actively advertise unlimited Internet for the past few years including TV ads. Sasktel and Bell Aliant I don't think have caps either.
I'm sure every company has looked at the model of UBB, but this is the Telus forum and Telus is making some Massive cuts to allowances. So as much as you change peoples quotes to deflect the companies actions the fact is still an announcement went up (hidden on the website) that usage is cut up to 50%. The least logical and sensible person would have to recognize what's coming next.

mdub6

join:2008-10-28
Canada

It definitely looks like Telus will be enforcing the cap. The 50% drop is about as obvious as a kick in the nuts.

I guess its probably a good thing that a lot of us are stuck on pathetically slow profiles. If I had anything better than a 6/1 connection.... I would be paying overages for sure!!

roach9

join:2005-04-10
Surrey, BC
reply to Foggy

My throughput over the last 31 days has been over 5TB...

I sure hope they don't start implementing UBB or I'm going to be on the hook for about... $2/GB....

4,750GB overage...

So about $10,000 after taxes.

That would be a really, really bad bill.

bluenote73

join:2009-02-17
V4N6A5
reply to Foggy

this is one of those situations where the people who think they are unaffected stand by and let it happen and when it finally does affect them, it's too late.

I would hope that I wouldn't have to spell it out. all of our data usage is going to go up up up over the next years. everyone needs to post on their Facebook that telus breaks contracts and writes phony deceiving advertising. and file with ccts.

Mike_C

join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC
reply to roach9

said by roach9:

My throughput over the last 31 days has been over 5TB...

5TB? What are you downloading/streaming? Even on my heaviest downloading months I've still not come close to that.

Gardener
Premium
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to roach9

said by roach9:

So about $10,000 after taxes.

Keep it up - you can help Telus pay for FTTH in my neighbourhood.

Branflakes

@74.198.150.x
reply to Mike_C

At 2.3GB per hr Netflix HD a family home streaming on a few tv's each day could do that in a month.

GaiaChaos
The Illusion of Gaia

join:2006-11-08
Vancouver, BC

This is nothing but anti-competitive practice. TELUS knows lots of people are using Netflix and other services and the only way to get people to use TELUS' own TV service is to charge customers extra money for exceeding quota. Investors are most likely disappointed that the TELUS TV service is not going well as planned -- sales-wise. Someone told me there are a couple of investors lurking in this forum and spreading false information about TELUS' services, but he hasn't confirmed this. So I'll just assume this is not true for the time being until I can find a match.

I think all the cable companies and telcos in North America follow this kind of monopolistic practice.

Let's see how the TELUS shills explain this one. Huh.

slidebite

join:2012-12-07
Lethbridge, AB
reply to Foggy

I contacted telus and asked them about my usage, and they couldn't tell me. Does the Actiontec keep a log of data volume by chance or is there a tool a person could use?

StarBuck

join:2011-01-16
Port Coquitlam, BC

1 edit

My usage suddenly began appearing on my printed bill a couple of months ago. Not too accurate I might add ( in my favour) so I don't know how they are calculating it. As I'm not using Telus hardware, I know it's not a local log.

If you're interested I'd look at you on-line bill, but you'd have to view the pdf version to see usage , the "usage" tab shows nothing.

I have used Dumeter for many years, but I switched to networx (free) recently. ( I compared the two and they produced comparable results that were also in line with the logger on my router)

I contacted Telus to ask about usage and when they were going to begin charging overages.... The CSR wasn't aware that Telus were counting.. ( The CSR was very helpful, was surprised when I mentioned that usage was only appearing on my pdf bill ... seems Telus like to keep most their staff in the dark.)

b0rna

@telus.net
reply to Branflakes

in specific, based on your 2.3GB per day, two TV's need to watch a single 2 hour movie each, per day, and that alone will account for the 250GB cap.

StuffThings

@telus.net
reply to Foggy

When Telus implements UBB hit them where it hurts, cancel your tv service, switch your cell provider, whatever you need to do to offset the cost. Then make sure you communicate to Telus why exactly you have cut out these other services. Telus has big money invested in their tv service and will take a hit if subscribers left. Bitching and complaining to them will not help, taking money out of their pockets will. It's easy to be a multi-billion dollar company when there are limited choices for competition.

Kruisey

join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC

Before you take this guy/gal suggestion.Why don't you look at Shaw and Bell their charges for internet and TV.Not just the new subscriber rates but regular ones.Also notice the internet use limits for these competitors.
Think before you speak and leap...

StuffThings

@telus.net

said by Kruisey:

Before you take this guy/gal suggestion.Why don't you look at Shaw and Bell their charges for internet and TV.Not just the new subscriber rates but regular ones.Also notice the internet use limits for these competitors.
Think before you speak and leap...

I didn't recommend switching providers for internet just tv/phone. read before you post.
You will find with most providers that services such as tv are more or less competitive with each other and there are other providers than Bell and Shaw for services like phone. The whole point of UBB is not network congestion control but maximizing profits. It is designed to extract more money from you. Instead of paying up change your services to offset the cost and keep that money out of Darren's yearly bonus. They charge you an extra 10 bucks you cancel your movie central package...etc.

Kruisey

Vancouver, BC

All ISP's charge for usage over the limits of your plan.
We only get the packages we can afford .
All I know is I figured it out I would pay more for my TV packages with the competitors plus a $10 rental fee for box.
The usage limits for internet will be exactly the same as Shaws in February.

Ikarasu

join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to Foggy

»www.teksavvy.com - Unlimited internet (25Mb $55DSL or Cable 25Mb $45 )

»www.distributel.ca/en/index.aspx (Unlimited cable.. $50 a month ,25MB)

»primus.ca/index.php/ (Unlimited, only 6 MB :\ $35.

Seeing as how Telus charges $52 a month bundled reg price...ALL above unlimited options are cheaper, and Better quality internet (Support is limited because they have to go through Telus/Shaw... But the rest is equal / better quality).

Theres more too, them are just the ones off the top of my head.

Affordable, unlimited is here. The big telcos just dont want you to know about it

Kruisey

Vancouver, BC

Teksavvy unlimited usage between 2AM and 8AM.
Set your alarm clock for 2AM.
Primus only 7MB. No 25Mb

Ternerito

join:2002-08-31
GVA

No. TS DSL $55 plan is unlimited. The time restriction you mention only affects their cheaper ($48) plan.

spock

join:2012-07-08
reply to Kruisey

There are 2 types of 25m at teksavvy. One is unlimited one is not.

Ikarasu

Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to Kruisey

said by Kruisey:

Teksavvy unlimited usage between 2AM and 8AM.
Set your alarm clock for 2AM.
Primus only 7MB. No 25Mb

As others have said. Their non unlimited plan, which is cheaper, gives you unlimited between certain hours.

Their TRUE unlimited plan, gives you unlimited 24/7. As with all the other companies I listed.

Kruisey

Vancouver, BC

I think the logic behind Teksavvy is to get the customers and hope only a few are heavy users.
Notice pricewise similar to Telus.
Remember Telus gives $5 off for bundling.
Actually has anyone ever taken a survey on Percentage that do over use their limits?

zajacz

join:2002-09-21
Calgary, AB
kudos:2

said by Kruisey:

I think the logic behind Teksavvy is to get the customers and hope only a few are heavy users.
Notice pricewise similar to Telus.
Remember Telus gives $5 off for bundling.
Actually has anyone ever taken a survey on Percentage that do over use their limits?

How are Telus and Teksavvy similar? According to Telus's website, Turbo 25 is $62. $5 off for bundling brings it down to $57 per month for what will be 250 GB a month maximum usage. Teksavvy is $55 per month for unlimited usage 24/7.

Ikarasu

Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to Foggy

I know I was going to avoid replying to you... ;p but this one doesn't seem like a troll question.

Teksavvy does have that logic. They go by word of mouth - They posted stats in their forums all the time, but I'm too lazy to go dig through it.

Off the top of my head... They said something like 600 GB of data is where they break even. And that it costs them pennies per GB over that. So even if they do go in the hole from a customer, they go in the hole by like $1, and the appeal of unlimited + Word of mouth from the people who are tech savvy, more than makes up for the offset.

It also has been proven, that the whole "1% of users use 90% of bandwidth" thing is a lie. When Bell mentioned it in the CRTC hearings, the courts asked for proof - Something bell couldn't supply. (IIRC... Again this was like 2 years ago).

And for the $5 off. I'm not sure if Teksavvy still does it, but they used to give $1 off per month, PER refferal. So if you reffer 20 friends... as long as theyre on Tek, thats $20 a month off. Seems small... But its effective. And its so easy to convince people to make the switch, with Telus being the way it is right now.

BadMagpie

join:2011-02-05
reply to Foggy

Telus also has unlimited 25/5 (if you can get those speeds in your area) for 84.95.

Office Internet
Your Business Anywhere Plus bundle includes 1 High Speed Internet connection with unlimited usage.

It speedtests around 25/6.5.

StarBuck

Port Coquitlam, BC

2 edits

BM,

I tried to switch to the business "unlimited" account , as I can forgo 50/10 if it means unlimited. In addition I was hoping for an ALU... I mean I'm a business after all LOL Still , seems far too expensive compared to Teksavvy's 25/2.5 cable unlimited @ $44.

Nope , not possible as I have Optik TV, seems strange as I'm sure there must be businesses that want TV too.... perhaps the boss likes to watch World cup during lunch...

Teksavvy's DSL is 10% more expensive that their cable and has anyone noticed the fine print wrt DSL... only unlimited between 2am and 8 am ?? or do they mean that the regular account is unlimited for those hours and the "unlimited" account is truly unlimited ? That deserves a clarification phone call ... I know logically what it should be but then it's obvious , that these days, companies will do everything in their power to screw every last penny out of their customers... that's what fine print in for LOL

If /when Telus start UBB us into the ground, then it will be Teksavvy cable/Optik TV ( as the wife won't let go of Optik)
Maybe by then Teksavvy will have rolled out higher speeds on either DSl or Cable

BadMagpie

join:2011-02-05

Do you have the option of getting a second line? For a brief time I had one line with residential phone and Turbo 25, and on the second line I had Business 25 only.

Also TekSavvy doesn't offer cable in AB. They do have the 25/2 unlimited option here though, but now that I've had a taste of > 5 mbit uploads I can't go back.

Arthur Dent

join:2011-01-27
Calgary, AB
reply to StarBuck

StarBuck, what did Teksavvy reply to you about the unlimited - is it all the time or just 2-8am?

CCTSrules

@terago.net

I just received back confirmation from the CCTS on my case I filed with them about dropping the caps. They agreed with me and have given them 30 days to resolved to the mutual satisfaction of both myself and the Telus.

I would highly suggest EVERYONE that has a complaint about this file a complaint with the CCTS so they simply just back out of change.

bluenote73

join:2009-02-17
V4N6A5

Its been about two weeks of the 30 days they need to respond in and I haven't heard anything about my CCTS complaint (aside from, that it was approved by CCTS).

StarBuck

Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to Arthur Dent

Mr Dent.

Teksavvy said that that note applies to the regular "limited" account , and that the unlimited account is well unlimited.

They couldn't comment on when they will be rolling out higher speeds , she didn't know that Shaw/Telus were offering higher speeds than 25, although that's not surprising as she was in Ont.

It will take roughly a month to get cable once install payment is made.
It will take roughly 2 weeks for DSL. If you currently have Telus, then there may be a few days down time as DSL has to be cancled first before they can switch to Teksavvy.
As I have DSL and want cable, I would just order cable and there would be an overlap ( no down time)

As much as I'm loving the 50/10, I love unlimited more. I'm really pushing the wife to switch to netflix ( US) and ditch Telus optik all together. We pay roughly $200 month for everything, , I'd loved to pay 40$ /month for unlimited internet and ditch TV.

I'm not sure Telus have correctly estimated the blow back they are going to get if /when they start gouging.. I imagine a lot of folks who switched to 50/10 will probably be thinking of leaving as they wouldn't have switched if they didn't want to use the interweb.

If Teksavvy can break even around 600G, I'm sure Telus can probably double that as they own the network.