Search similar:

uniqs
ruiner3
join:2012-03-10
Canada

ruiner3 to Foggy

to Foggy

Re: [BC] TELUS High Speed Turbo 25 Usage being reduced 50%

Oh, I forgot about this section in the Telus TOS. Anyone locked into a long-term contract who wants out, now is your chance.
»telus.com/content/tv/opt ··· erms.jsp

You are not obliged to continue using the Services after an amendment to the Service Terms is made; however, in the event you choose not to accept the changes, your sole remedy is to cancel the Services, effective at the end of your current billing period. Your continued use of the Services following any amendment shall be deemed to be your acceptance of the amended Service Terms, waiver of any additional notice requirements and agreement to pay for the Services in accordance with the amended Service Terms.

Kruisey
join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey to CallComplain

to CallComplain
I personally am content with my services from Telus.
Many of us would like the Turbo 50 but it will come to us also.
Its only logical that Telus,Rogers,Shaw and Bell wont to discourage
heavy users of the internet.
We all know the reason for that now don't we?
Those 5% heavy loaders seem to have other ISP carriers in mind.Best of Luck to them I say.
I will stick by Telus because I am not a heavy loader so it will not make any difference to me whether its 500 or 250
WhosTheBosch
join:2009-12-02

WhosTheBosch

said by Kruisey:

I will stick by Telus because I am not a heavy loader so it will not make any difference to me whether its 500 or 250

It's asinine comments like this that will come back to bite you in the ass later. For some reason you have no problem with Telus halving your download cap for no reason. To put this another way if gas stations suddenly doubled the price of gas, I'm pretty sure you'd get pissed about that.

Also, the thing that bugs me most about your comment is how it "doesn't make a difference to you since you don't use much"... in the future when you do use more (And you will, you simply can't not use more bandwidth) they'll have you paying more money and you won't be able to complain one bit! You're the type of people who think that if you're not doing anything wrong then there's no problem with the government putting you under surveillance and only people who are doing things wrong have things to worry about.

I have no idea why you don't care about them completely screwing you on this. It's simply mind boggling.
Expand your moderator at work
Kruisey
join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey to WhosTheBosch

to WhosTheBosch

Hum it seems you can predict the future.
Be friendly and give me Friday's lottery numbers?
WhosTheBosch
join:2009-12-02

WhosTheBosch

said by Kruisey:

Hum it seems you can predict the future.
Be friendly and give me Friday's lottery numbers?

Please explain to me how your bandwidth needs won't go up in the future? Downloading a 720p DVD is what 4-6gb? What is the 1080p version 9-15gb depending on encoding properties probably. When 4k TVs come out do you expect people to be OK with the same 720p resolution which will look like crap on their expensive 4k TV? No, they'll want 4k media which will INCREASE THE BANDWITH they need as their media size increases. That doesn't take into account that websites, games, web apps will all be INCREASING in size and not decreasing.

If you have no problem with someone saying I'll give you X for Y amount of money, then later on saying you're only going to get X/2 for the same Y amount of money then you would be everyone's favorite customer. Oh, and I'm not a shill or troll, but if you think your bandwidth needs won't go up in the future you're in complete denial and I have some Walkmans to sell you.

Foggy
@telus.net

Foggy to ruiner3

Anon

to ruiner3
@runer - "Your continued use of the Services following any amendment shall be deemed to be your acceptance of the amended Service Terms..."

That's exactly why TELUS is trying to sneak in this amendment and hoping that people won't notice until it's too late.

I challenge anyone here claiming to work for TELUS to supply us all with the TELUS webpage containing the live link to these amendments.

You can look until your eyeballs ache and you won't find it.

I found the link hidden at the bottom of an e-mail.

TELUS didn't accidentally hide this link in the fine print at the bottom of my 'e-bill ready for viewing/payment' e-mail.

This was a deliberate decision by TELUS.

If TELUS is going to amend a contract, especially one that includes a 50% reduction in usage, then they better be e-mailing this amendment to every single TELUS customer.

This is outrageous.

Bauwoo
join:2003-12-07

Bauwoo to WhosTheBosch

to WhosTheBosch
If you signed a contract, you're stuck with these decisions. If you're not, go somewhere else.

Like you said, if they raised gas prices there are other things you can do than complain about this. Take a bus, ride a bike, walk.

Wanna protest, show Telus there are better ways than crying about it on forums. Quit their service. Telus cares more about your money than your words. If you can't afford to get out of contract, well that person is just dumb for getting into it and allowing Telus to sucker them into something legally they can do. Either way you have no right to complain about something being legally done for a contract you signed.

In the end, the majority doesn't give a crap about this cap decrease and if it does affect them then they are much more intelligent about handling it.
Ikarasu
join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu

said by Bauwoo:

If you signed a contract, you're stuck with these decisions. If you're not, go somewhere else.

Like you said, if they raised gas prices there are other things you can do than complain about this. Take a bus, ride a bike, walk.

Wanna protest, show Telus there are better ways than crying about it on forums. Quit their service. Telus cares more about your money than your words. If you can't afford to get out of contract, well that person is just dumb for getting into it and allowing Telus to sucker them into something legally they can do. Either way you have no right to complain about something being legally done for a contract you signed.

In the end, the majority doesn't give a crap about this cap decrease and if it does affect them then they are much more intelligent about handling it.

Telus is changing their TOS. Legally, you can get out of your contract with no early termination fee.

Bauwoo

Bauwoo

LOL, read your TOS. Telus reps are going to fun with you.
Ikarasu
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu

Doesn't really matter what TOS says, or tries to say.

When you signed the contract, you signed up for specific terms - AKA, how much bandwidth they supply you.

If they change it, and dont grandfather you... Legally in canada you can get out of the contract. They have the right to change the contract (The users dont) But the users have the right to cancel the contract if they do.

I've gotten out of a Telus cell contract from it, very easily. Back when Bell out east changed their bandwidth, a lot of people opted to quit their contract with them too. It's a consumer protection law, Telus would be fined VERY big if they refused to let anyone out of their contract after they changed the terms of the contract, it'd be illegal for them.

Thats not saying you can get a free xbox 360 on a 3 year term contract, then cancel because of this and not have to return the Xbox. I'm pretty sure whatever free gifts you got, you have to return. But... you wont have to pay an early termination fee.

iwonsowillyo
@telus.net

iwonsowillyo to Bauwoo

Anon

to Bauwoo
@bauwoo,,, .
You are another example of why corporations screw consumers so badly. When less informed people think a company can change the terms of the contract(+ user terms) without repercussions you end up with the Bhells/Rogers/Shaws of Canada breaking the law and paying a small fine for the crime.
contracts are mutually agreed terms that both parties 100% agree. When a contract is written that gives corporation 100% of the terms, then contract considered illegal as it most probably violates consumer protection laws. Rights can not be taken away by a contracts wording or legalize.
Is your job pay based only on commission that is below the minimum wage for all your hours? then you are slave, which is illegal.
All parts of contracts that violate laws are considered null and void which will lead to the entire contract being null and void in a fair court of law. Companies will put in wording that says the illegal parts of contract won't make the rest null and void and thats a crime which no executive will do the time.

Did you know that 'arbitration'(which many consider to be illegal in contracts when it is written in a way to ban any lawsuits of single or class action) is to be a moderator who both parties mutually agree on using. An Arbitrator though causes a financial hardship to the consumer and can make arbitration illegal under those conditions. An arbitrator 100% picked by the corporation is not legal, as like with certain lawyers not disclosing they are associated with ICBC, the arbitrator will be biased.
You have the right to sue and take people/corporations/governments/officers to court, no matter what.

Net Neutrality violation is what this reduction of GB's is. Lowering caps on traffic coming from outside of Telus networks is the basis of all lowering of caps. Telus is still number 1 in quality of service in Canada but lowering of caps is a profit grab for those major investors who did not like the stock profit payouts from the last couple quarters. Stock price wars from shareholders are very damaging to the Telus brand.

laurelnhardy
@telus.net

laurelnhardy to WhosTheBosch

Anon

to WhosTheBosch
WhosTheBosch See Profile
You're the type of people who think that if you're not doing anything wrong then there's no problem with the government putting you under surveillance and only people who are doing things wrong have things to worry about.
TR6909 Firmware

I have no idea what your talking about.

It seems to only become a problem when its used to collect even more money from the customer. Thats when this activity becomes unpopular. After all most the time the customer is already paying 56% more for something they dont get and harrased ever time they call in with placating voice. Then to boot the customer service seems to be conditioned to lying and then even take pleasure in your pain and suffering. Yeah gets pretty obvious to some of us but the government doesn't seem to care about protecting the average canadian customer because the politics of the change would basically shut down the isp.

Bauwoo

Bauwoo to iwonsowillyo

to iwonsowillyo
Have fun with your legal fees.

sleepwithgov
@telus.net

sleepwithgov to iwonsowillyo

Anon

to iwonsowillyo
without repercussions you end up with the Bhells/Rogers/Shaws of Canada breaking the law and paying a small fine for the crime. All 14 customers pay there bill on time
I don't understand the process nor do I condone any type of isp's behavior but we all know dsl can't afford tech's half the time. This is fact they are kept around usually do to government subsity and if you see where I am going with this. The same problems come up. Not enough customer base , lines never upgraded, no fiber because customer base doesn't warrant it to be profitable no one is going to buy a 140 thousand dollar real of fiber just so you can play wow faster. Its not going to happen folks.

Myself I know that dsl is the way of the dodo bird and the government basically sleeps with the directors. Who Cares let cable golliaths with there private lines deal with and enormous profit margins like 30 grand a month? whats telus make like 300 bucks? Its tiring getting kicked off a network every 3-9 months and Im treated like dirt everywhere anyway and hated by the head techs because it causes " Pressure " ? Any way Its tough to be right all the time and have no influence on reality.
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX to Foggy

to Foggy
Corporations are always protected and have the ability and are allowed to take action againts the consumer right away . Mean while the consumer has to go through CRTC hurdles and has no say.

Corporations get to hide behind TOS that offer no protection to the consumer from being ripped off or Gauged.

With telus Neutering our connections by half I think that warrants a price reduction not a price increase.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to Foggy

to Foggy

UBB 2.0

Maybe Telus could chop one of their cute little advertising critters in half for a commercial to illustrate how the consumer is getting screwed. Pay more (recent price increases) and get half less.

I find it rich that a Telus employee says don't take this over the top. What exactly is over the top? I haven't seen it, just people airing their opinions about getting screwed by Bell of the West.

I passed the Telus Garden site today in Downtown Vancouver and I pondered whether or not Shaw, Novus, or even wholesalers will have access to the building. I think not, there will be some exclusivity crap. According to some dips here, you can get services elsewhere. Tell that to the souls trapped in the Bellus Garden building when it's done.
slidebite
join:2012-12-07
t1n3n5

slidebite

I stumbled upon this forum and it was my first news of this. Typically, I would be nowhere near 250GB, in fact, I probably do hopefully will be for when the bandwidth caps come in.

So, how is teksavvy for phone and internet service anyhow?
slidebite

slidebite

Only 2 lines of my post ^^ show up, but if I try to edit it the whole thing is there.. what gives?

bbbc
NorthAmerica

bbbc to slidebite

to slidebite
said by slidebite :

So, how is teksavvy for phone and internet service anyhow?

I don't know if TekSavvy's VoIP product is available in AB or BC. I think the price is a bit spendy. I suggest you look into VoIP.ms (port your current number) and use an Obihai OBi202 ATA to hook up to your existing phones.

Internet service with TekSavvy is probably the best you're going to get in Canada. They are having growing pains (expansion-wise) since Telus and Bell backed UBB and consumers are turning to them as a viable alternative. TSI's CEO, Marc, is quite active on DSLR if you have probs. The only other challenge is installs, which requires one of the duoplies to accomplish. Telus has been pretty reliable with their appointments for wholesale (TSI) installs. Unfortunately, TSI West Cable isn't available in your neck of the woods, Alberta.

You do have to pay for your modem, install, and first month up front (probably shy of $200), but you also won't be in a contract nor will you get the consistant price increases. Oh, unlimited is only $7 more than a 75GB package, which is a no-brainer.

someshawguy
@shawcable.net

someshawguy to Foggy

Anon

to Foggy

sigh...calm down guys...just think about the potential headaches Telus has to go through if they decide to enforce usage. it's not going to happen..

just wait and see if they will take any additional actions. i will agree halving bandwidth cap is a dick move on their part but it is because they are trying to discourage people from using online streaming services such as netflix. talk about anti-competitive..
titan_rw
join:2007-08-23

titan_rw to bbbc

to bbbc

Re: UBB 2.0

How long until the CLEC's are offering the new 50 meg plans that Telus has? They're using the same ports in the dslam, so the equipment is capable. I'd even be able to supply my own modem, capable of 50.

I'd have no problem switching if I could get the same speed, with no billing increases, and have it 'officially' be unlimited. Instead of having to rely on Telus simply not billing.
Ikarasu
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu

said by titan_rw:

How long until the CLEC's are offering the new 50 meg plans that Telus has? They're using the same ports in the dslam, so the equipment is capable. I'd even be able to supply my own modem, capable of 50.

I'd have no problem switching if I could get the same speed, with no billing increases, and have it 'officially' be unlimited. Instead of having to rely on Telus simply not billing.

From what I understand... The recent crtc ruling meant that they had to allow speed matching almost instantaneous. Now... that doesn't mean they'll add it at the same time, seeing as how they have to work out what price to charge, ect.

Best bet, is to post in the Teksavvy direct forum asking, or in the general Teksavvy forum. I imagine they'll start matching it soon, with Telus they've been matching pretty fast in the past.

bbbc
NorthAmerica

bbbc to titan_rw

to titan_rw
said by titan_rw :

How long until the CLEC's are offering the new 50 meg plans that Telus has?

Who knows... 25Mb ain't good enough for you until that day comes? I'm assuming your equating the CLEC terminology to wholesalers.

That sounds like a perfect world, but wholesalers generally don't subsidize equipment and installation costs unlike the duopolies which require a contract. In addition, you can't expect the bundled price you're used to since the wholesalers are primarily selling just broadband. I'd rather pay a little more for a company that gives a sh*t and doesn't transfer you overseas.
titan_rw
join:2007-08-23

titan_rw

said by bbbc:

Who knows... 25Mb ain't good enough for you until that day comes? I'm assuming your equating the CLEC terminology to wholesalers.

As far as I was aware, CLEC is a correct term. Competitive Local Exchange Carrier. The 'main' carrier is an ILEC, Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier. Telus uses the term CLEC. In some of their voice prompts, it's "For CLEC ADSL, press 1, for Centrex assignment, press 2", etc.
said by bbbc:

That sounds like a perfect world, but wholesalers generally don't subsidize equipment and installation costs unlike the duopolies which require a contract.

Yea, so with the wholesaler not subsidizing equipment costs, there should be no cost if the customer provides their own equipment.

Also, when I signed up with telus from day 1, there was never any contract. (I've been with telus for dsl since they bought out cadvision here in Calgary in 2001 I think it was.) And they still provided the equipment. The equipment is there for you to use free of charge for as long as you have telus service. The only reason I see to sign a contract is to get their 6 month promo rate, and or any 'gift' that they have going at the time. Like the laptop / tablet thing. That still wouldn't get me to sign a long term contract. Not worth it when they start changing bandwidth agreements.

johnjake
@telus.net

johnjake to WhosTheBosch

Anon

to WhosTheBosch

First of all, a disclaimer. I work for TELUS. My message does not necessarily reflect the views of TELUS as a company, and the views expressed are entirely my own.

The fact that you state that "Telus got those lines for free from the government" and that TELUS is "going to pull a Verizon and let them rot" in reference to rural areas shows that you have a complete lack of understanding on how an ADSL network actually works.

You still need a DSLAM to provide a DSL signal over those government provided lines.

The cable distance between the DSLAM and the modem has a direct affect on the quality of service, or whether an ISP can even offer service. If the distance is too high, the service will either be degraded or just not function.

It would be prohibitively expensive to roll out 15 or 25 Mbps service in remote rural areas. Due to the size of the properties and lack of population density, an ISP could end up investing significant resources to install a DSLAM, and then only be able to service 2 or 3 households with it. If that happened, it could take decades to earn the investment back on it.

I'm not taking sides on the telus bandwidth cap issue. I'm merely pointing out that what your comment implies is, quite simply, factually incorrect and misleading from a network technology point of view.
johnjake

johnjake to slidebite

Anon

to slidebite

Re: UBB 2.0

Standard disclaimer, I work for Telus, blah blah blah.

No clue about pricing or customer service, but from a technology point of view... identical. The DSL line from your house will connect to the exact same piece of network equipment (DSLAM) whether you are with TELUS, Teksavvy, Nucleus, etc etc. People claiming that Teksavvy can offer better service quality than Telus themselves are out to lunch.

**Clarification: If a customer is with Telus, and their line is still not on the new 2+ technology as it hasn't been moved yet, and they out order the service and replace it with a wholesale service that is on 2+ from the get go, they might see better service. This will be rare though, and temporary.
Ikarasu
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu

said by johnjake :

Standard disclaimer, I work for Telus, blah blah blah.

No clue about pricing or customer service, but from a technology point of view... identical. The DSL line from your house will connect to the exact same piece of network equipment (DSLAM) whether you are with TELUS, Teksavvy, Nucleus, etc etc. People claiming that Teksavvy can offer better service quality than Telus themselves are out to lunch.

**Clarification: If a customer is with Telus, and their line is still not on the new 2+ technology as it hasn't been moved yet, and they out order the service and replace it with a wholesale service that is on 2+ from the get go, they might see better service. This will be rare though, and temporary.

I had a huge reply, and hit back button and it got erased.. So I'm going to make it short.

Your mostly correct - If your line quality with Telus sucks, switching to Teksavvy will not fix it. But there are other parts of the network which allow Teksavvy to offer a higher quality service.

Routing is 1 of them - At least it was this way a year ago, but Teksavvy had way better routing, which made for better ping times in games. Sometimes trying to get to a server in Seattle from Vancouver, Telus has me routing all the way to Toronto, While I saw this happen once on Teksavvy, A quick E-mail and they configured it a bit, and the next day it was fixed. An E-mail to Telus... And they didn't know what I was talking about even / Didn't care to fix it.

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak to johnjake

Premium Member

to johnjake
said by johnjake :

People claiming that Teksavvy can offer better service quality than Telus themselves are out to lunch.

TekSavvy has much better routing connectivity than TELUS. They use Peer1 as their provider in Vancouver. Significantly less saturated links, and Peer1 actually likes to play ball with other ISPs.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX to Ikarasu

Premium Member

to Ikarasu
said by Ikarasu:

An E-mail to Telus... And they didn't know what I was talking about even / Didn't care to fix it.

Bell has had private peering with Telus and Shaw for a long time. But it seemed like Rogers would never play ball.

About 6 months ago, I sent an email to both Bell and Rogers NOC about the horrible speed/ping/latency people in Ontario have between their networks because they default route everything to their "cheap" transit provider (TATA in Scarborough), which took the data to NY/NJ and back. It took forever to setup private peering, but they finally did it, and here we are today: 4 Rogers.net.bell.ca (67.69.246.93) 0.618 ms 0.645 ms 0.593 ms

Now I get 0-4ms instead of 30-40ms to local Rogers business & residential customers from Bell and vice versa.

Give it a try: »www.peeringdb.com/privat ··· hp?id=76