how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06

StraightTalk?

I am looking to cut down my monthly costs. I currently have the Samsung Galaxy S III which I am in love with.

I am currently on a AT&T Contract and my monthly bill is over $90 a month which I'm sure for some of you isn't much but I am trying to reduce as much as possible.

I am seriously considering StraightTalk for $45 a month. Do any of you use them? Is it OK? I understand they will send a AT&T Sim Card so my phone wouldn't need to be unlocked or anything. I don't use a ton of data, normally it's 200 MB's a month or so, perhaps 750 MB's at times. I don't stream music or video, mostly use it for looking up directions, e-mail, facebook, etc. I still have 18+ months left on my contact but I figure if I pay the ETA, since I'll be saving $45 a month, it'll pay itself off within 6 months so in the long term I'd be better off.

I had also though about selling my phone and downgrading to an older android, but a decent used android is at least $200.

I'm not sure if StraightTalk SIM's support LTE or not but if not, it's not a huge deal. It's just now being deployed in my area so it's very patchy right now anyway and I don't do enough for the extra bandwidth.

Suggestion?

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
I use Net10, but it's the same service (TracFone) under the covers. You'll find plenty of information on Howard Forums, I recommend them. To answer your immediate questions:

- Service is great, I've had no problems. They have an unwritten throttle-style cap somewhere in the 1-2 GB range.
- You have your choice of AT&T or T-Mobile SIM when ordering, choose accordingly.
- LTE is not supported, but you get full HSPA+ speed for a given network (some other MVNOs limit HSPA+ to X portion of Y megabytes).
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

Hagar

join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to MineCoast
I use StraightTalk (At&T SIM) on a iPhone, it was unlocked and out of contract. Works great.

I agree with Cabal's answers, +1

You might be able to use T-mobile they are moving frequencies so they support HSPA+ in 1900MHz range. Some people have reported faster data speeds with T-mobile, depends on your area.

You might want to check out the T-mobile $30 5GB data plans. I also use this plan.

Do a Google search on the xda developer forums.

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06
reply to MineCoast
I can't go with T-Mobile. The have no (may as well be no) coverage in this area and the data network only does GPRS or EDGE... whereas AT&T and Verizon both have LTE here.

Thanks for all the suggestions I'll look into it and see.

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Cricket Broadband
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to Cabal
Are they still threating to boot people for using over 2GB of data? on the BYOD plan? I had them they kept harassing me over data usage. I told them how can I use too much data on a unlimited plan. They did not know what to say. I switch to red pocket Now I am thing going back to net 10.

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
said by jchambers28:

Are they still threating to boot people for using over 2GB of data? on the BYOD plan? I had them they kept harassing me over data usage. I told them how can I use too much data on a unlimited plan. They did not know what to say. I switch to red pocket Now I am thing going back to net 10.

No idea, I only use a few hundred MB a month. I'd consult the experts.
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

lijane

join:2012-11-30
Los Angeles, CA
reply to MineCoast
want to check it