share rss forum feed
« 1 week anniversary!
This is a sub-selection from Aereo

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to tshirt

Re: Aereo

Oops -- I meant this reply for you. I ended up relying to myself. Doah!

Would it be different if a New Yorker relocated to Iowa but before leaving, personally leased rack space from an NYC infrastructure provider and installed their own Tivo + sling box?

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
If you are no longer in the local market, why do you deserve the local station feed?

Obvisously your no longer of value as a local advertizing target and while you are paying for rackspace and Aereo you are paying nothing to the content owner/creator for their investment in the program.
At some point it will be impossible for the creator to raise funds for the show and it will disappear.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
Whether or not someone deserves the "local feed" is a different issue.

My post is just an example to provoke thought. However, the example is valid whether I move 100 or 1,000 miles. Whether I lease rack space and buy bandwidth to operate my own equipment or I lease the equipment too as in the case of what Aereo offers, let's debate the difference.

What if someone places a Tivo/SlingBox in a family member's house that's closer to signals that serve the area?

To keep this on track, let's focus the debate on someone who's 50 miles from the metro area that serves them and doesn't want to buy a Tivo for each of the six TVs in their home. They'd rather just pay for HSI and stream video they record at Aereo's infrastructure site to any device in their house (be it TVs, tablets, game consoles, desktops, laptops, etc.)