join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to La Luna

Re: Cops to Congress: We need logs of Americans' text messages

said by La Luna:

Also, in addition to the obvious concerns, isn't there a better way than to store a gazillion messages to and from granny, kids, etc.? Messages that have absolutely no value at all? It sounds cumbersome and convoluted to me to store ALL messages to and from EVERYONE.

To a spook, there is an unknown but potential value in any given message. At times, people otherwise thought of as being of no interest suddenly pop up to become people of great interest to an investigation. Investigators never know until they have the need before them. So spooks will always want all the data on everything stored forever, in a totally retrievable, indexed manner - "just in case". To be fair and ruthlessly honest, it's simply their nature.

Later, perhaps when political winds change, somebody somewhere in high places will decide granny or whoever else might hold political (or other) views that do matter in their universe, so they task the spooks with ferreting out their names and past histories of contacts. And so a witch hunt begins. It's the stuff totalitarian states are made of...
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

Exactly the point William Binney made in this interview.

»"They are just storing it"
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink
reply to La Luna

said by La Luna:

Also, in addition to the obvious concerns, isn't there a better way than to store a gazillion messages to and from granny, kids, etc.? Messages that have absolutely no value at all? It sounds cumbersome and convoluted to me to store ALL messages to and from EVERYONE.

You never know who they'll want to round up in the future.
--
"We have 54 (Christmas) trees in the White House," an excited Michelle Obama proudly told visitors the other day. "54! That’s a lot of trees."

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to StuartMW

They can have mine.... I have never texted...

said by StuartMW:

quote:
State and local law enforcement groups want wireless providers to store detailed information about your SMS messages for at least two years -- in case they're needed for future criminal investigations.

»news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57556···essages/

Sorry Bob, I very rarely text

--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle