SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to SwedishRider

Re: CATV issue- box freezing and reboots.

Okay, another piece to the puzzle. Work was done on the lines to my home, and two problems were found, one at the headend and one on an amp on a pole down the street. We thought problem was caught and done with ... however...

I came home and rebooted all 3 cable boxes (2 DVRs and 1 regular set-top) and rebooted my MTA and cable modem. Everything started with a clean signal... and I tuned all 3 cable boxes to Sprout (Channel 88) so that all three would be tuned to the same channel, and after some time passed, I'd be assured that problem was fixed. Within an hour or so, ALL THREE boxes froze audio and video at the exact same moment. The last image as they froze stayed on the TV screens of all three boxes, and it was the exact same image on all three. I changed the channel and then went back to Sprout, and Sprout continued fine on all three boxes as I changed the channel and back on each of them.

So I kept it on Sprout on all three boxes, and about an hour later.. ALL THREE boxes froze audio and video at the exact same moment on all the boxes again! Exact same thing as before.

Tech came back out and measured at the drop... everything crystal clear. He came in and measured an outlet hooked to a cable box... crystal clear again...

To make sure all info on the table, there are times I'd be watching Sprout, and another TV is on NBC HD (channel 785), and NBC HD will freeze, but Sprout will be fine.. so all the boxes don't freeze at the same time... but clearly it's happening on the same channel at the same time to all boxes tuned to that particular problematic channel.

Any ideas? This is a stumper.. Charter Techs are thinking this one over and will be back in the mornning for round 3.. any takers??

EDIT: And one other thing.. cable modem and MTA have had rock solid connections all throughout this process... the only time they've been down or shown errors is when the drop has been disconnected for diagnostic purposes.. otherwise internet and phone have been solid.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
Ingress that seems to be taking out that QAM possibly. Again, without a meter that's hard to diagnose over the web.
--
Ex-Comcast Tech at the Beach. I speak for myself, not my former employer.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1
said by beachintech:

Ingress that seems to be taking out that QAM possibly. Again, without a meter that's hard to diagnose over the web.

98% of the time, I can simply tune to a switch digital channel or get On Demand programming with no issues... it's very weird and random when this freezing happens. I had 2 freeze-ups in the last 24 hours and documented the times. I'm hoping the sling box caught them so that a diagnosis can be made.

If it were ingress, wouldn't I be having lots more problems, lots more often... or others be in the same boat as me? Someone watching popular channels at peak times wouldn't notice i suppose.. but someone watching Sprout in the middle of the night might.

But again, if it was noise, why can I simply move the channel and return to refresh the signal, or just tune to a channel and immediately get the feed 98% of the time... shouldn't that be problematic at least a decent amount of the time?!?

Seems to me that the initial request is making it though but the "pinging" of the STB back to the node to keep the feed going is what's not working... but why that and not the initial requests?!?

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
There are a lot of things that can cause intermittent problems, someone keying up a mic, etc. We had an issue like that here, it took a long time to resolve, but it turned out to be a bad piece of equipment in the field (Amp AGC). This was VOD though, we didnt do SDV when I was there.
--
Ex-Comcast Tech at the Beach. I speak for myself, not my former employer.