uniqs

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

Over-Ear Headphones for a Teenage Girl

My daughter wants some over-ear headphones. I don't want to spend too much over $100, $150 max. I've read that Beats and Skullcandy are generally overpriced shit quality. The problem is she's a teenage girl so she wants something stylish but also wants something with good sound quality. Beats are completely out of the question because 1) I don't even think you can get them for $150, and 2) she says everyone has them and they all look stupid and complain about how crappy they sound.

So any suggestions for stylish decent quality over-ear headphones in the $100 price range that a teen girl would like? I'm thinking I might have to just get her the Skullcandy Aviators but would rather get something better quality.

Thanks!

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS

Premium Member

Here's a few options that are actually quite good in quality/durability and fit in your budget:
»www.sweetwater.com/store ··· D280Pro/
»www.sweetwater.com/store ··· MDR7506/
»www.sweetwater.com/store ··· /SRH440/
»www.sweetwater.com/store ··· K171mk2/

I personally use the Sony MDR7506, a staple among sound professionals.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to thegeek

MVM

to thegeek
Sennheiser or Sony, those are my only picks for quality cans.

The catch is, you have to watch the model numbers. Some of them are designed for accurate sound, which is only good if you have a good source. Anything that bills itself for "studio" use isn't going to be a good option for an ipod.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
I'm a huge fan of the Sennheiser Open Aire cans myself. Doesn't give that sound in a jar effect.

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected to thegeek

Anon

to thegeek
Another vote for the Sony MDR7506.
Kudos to your daughter for caring enough about sound quality!

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

The catch is, you have to watch the model numbers. Some of them are designed for accurate sound, which is only good if you have a good source. Anything that bills itself for "studio" use isn't going to be a good option for an ipod.

I should have mentioned that the source audio will be her cell phone most of the time listening to Spotify. So how big of a difference does that make in what would be best?

One problem with the offerings from Sony, Sennheiser, etc is they all appear to be plain black and "ugly" according to my daughter. Do any of the good brands make something any other color than black? I'm sure that's what draws kids to Beats and Skullcandy is the wide assortment of colors and more sleek designs.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

said by thegeek:

said by Camelot One:

I should have mentioned that the source audio will be her cell phone most of the time listening to Spotify. So how big of a difference does that make in what would be best?

One problem with the offerings from Sony, Sennheiser, etc is they all appear to be plain black and "ugly" according to my daughter. Do any of the good brands make something any other color than black? I'm sure that's what draws kids to Beats and Skullcandy is the wide assortment of colors and more sleek designs.

I have seen a few that are in white, but generally no. Thats what helps sell Beats and Skull candy, not their audio quality!

StyxKee
join:2001-07-05
GTA, Canada

1 edit

1 recommendation

StyxKee to thegeek

to thegeek
I bought a pair of V-Moda M-80 Crossfade (Pearl White) on-ear headphones at a discount 3 months ago for about $150 (if you want over the ears, there are different models). It has fairly good balance overall. The built quality is top notch. You can check out a large number of reviews on Head-fi.org.

Head-Fi users and "beta-testers" review:
»www.head-fi.org/products ··· /reviews [Edited for full forum review link]
»www.head-fi.org/t/624188 ··· 0-review

V-Moda:
»v-moda.com/crossfade-m-8 ··· e-pearl/
IanR
join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

IanR to thegeek

to thegeek
Costco has several headphones in their stores and a couple they allow you to sample.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
said by thegeek:

Depends on the cell phone circuitry, I know with the iPhone it's preferable to find a headphone with an impedance as low as possible for better low frequency response. Many studio headphones are higher impedance since professional level headphone amps are more capable of driving such a load.
said by thegeek:

If you want good quality and good looks, be prepared to open up your wallet!! Here's two manufacturers that would fit the bill:
»www.ultrasone.com/index. ··· any.html
»www.gradolabs.com/

Sarah

join:2001-01-09
New York, NY

Sarah to thegeek

to thegeek
Audio Technica has a lot of decent-looking, more feminine designs...some very classy-looking headphone. There's a white version of the M50 (which is very well-reviewed among both consumers and audiophiles)... but if you google around you can find a lot of nice-looking earphones from them at all price ranges.

AKG is another very good company (I have a pair of their K271 and love them). These are some smaller, sleeker headphones that come in white and green: »www.amazon.com/AKG-Q460- ··· adphones Their "DJ" headphones are relatively cool-looking, also, if you like that sort of thing: »us.akg.com/akg-products- ··· /dj.html

For the most part, the best looking headphones (to a teenage girl, anyway ) tend to be low-end. There are lots of sub-$50 headphones in all sorts of colors and styles... mostly with crap sound.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
3rds for the Sony.

I have 2 pairs of 7506's and a pair of v6's that are 20 years old. Love them and they're still used in recording/production studios to this day.

The problem with nice headphones is they will expose crappy tracks with ease (low-bit-rate-mp3's, etc). So, keep that in mind.