spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nooodle

join:2012-11-20
Glastonbury, CT

Internet too fast for Xbox 360, Call of Duty??

Games like call of duty online on Xbox have been almost unplayable for quite some time. My connection is beyond perfect, I can ping servers faster than most ISPs connections can and I never get any packet loss. although on games online like previously stated I lose a packet every 10 seconds or so even though my connection reads perfect. My theory behind this packet loss is that the packets my Internet sends to the host of the game or whoever is playing are to LARGE for their connection handle and the packets sometimes get lost in the process. This has to be the case because after changing my mtu from 1500 to 1365 I get noticeably less packet loss but their is still a lot of jerking and skipping from time to time (not nearly as bad as when my mtu was at 1500). The only thing I could think of doing is buying a really crappy modem or changing from COX to at&t which is A LOT slower. does anyone have any suggestions?

Nooodle

Glastonbury, CT
Sorry for the crappy spelling an punctuation, I know its hard to read -__-

carp
Rejected

join:2002-10-30
reply to Nooodle
Your connection is not too fast. Many people play at LAN parties and competitions where all players are connected to the same Ethernet switch. which is much faster, has way less latency, and less jitter.

You are not pinging anything faster than an ISP like you think. You could have better performance than other people using the same or other ISPs.

Call of Duty on Xbox 360 does not use dedicated servers. Games are served up by another player in the game. If you had such a perfect and fast connection you would be the host of a lot of games.

The consistent lag and skip tells me the problem is something close to you. If you use a router then try connecting directly to the modem. if you are using wireless, switch to a wired connection.

PinkyThePig
Premium
join:2011-05-02
Tempe, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

reply to Nooodle
First of all there is no such thing as your internet being 'too fast' packet loss is caused by something entirely different. Most commonly it is failing hardware on your end. less commonly it is failing hardware on your ISPs end.

I suggest posting your issue here: »Cox HSI

And following all of the diagnostics in this thread: »[ALL] what to post before complaining about slow speeds...?

If there are any things you don't understand in the diagnostic thread post here and I can help.

Nooodle

Glastonbury, CT
reply to carp
Yaaaa, the problem is I actually do get chosen as host the majority of the time. Yes I have hardwired directly to modems, Ive tried 3 different modems (docsis 3 and 2) and 2 different N routers. The problem is not within my hardware. I've had this problem for months now so you could imagine I've tried everything in the books, including calling my ISP, they came out and ran tests and found nothing wrong -_-. Also your point about LAN connection games is completely irrelevant, I'm connecting to random people on Xbox live. I don't understand what would be causing this strange packet loss because the game says I have a low latency (4 bars). Idk, maybe the net-coding is absolutely horrible because I cant find any flaws with my connection

beavercable
Premium
join:2008-05-11
Beaverton, OR
reply to Nooodle
Go to “Find Game”, then before selecting a game type you’ll see “Search Preferences” in the bottom right. Simply go into Search Preferences and choose “Best”. Takes longer to join matches but it may help you out. If not direct your angry emails at activision for not creating dedicated call of duty serves for consoles.

Nooodle

Glastonbury, CT
Im not really "angry" im just looking for some help.

PinkyThePig
Premium
join:2011-05-02
Tempe, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
I still strongly suggest posting in the cox forums and including everything you can from that thread I listed. The cox employees who frequent that forum are smarter than your average call center employee and can (and do) fix numerous issues that the call center couldn't fix.

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Embarq Now Centu..
reply to Nooodle
With MW3 (and now Black Ops2), the developers instituted a "Host Compensation" of sorts, which artificially slows the response time of the person hosting so that you're on a level playing field with folks who are connected to you. From what I've read, it does more harm than good - though I wouldn't know, my internet connection is so craptastic that I'm never host.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
said by Hazy Arc:

With MW3 (and now Black Ops2), the developers instituted a "Host Compensation" of sorts, which artificially slows the response time of the person hosting so that you're on a level playing field with folks who are connected to you. From what I've read, it does more harm than good - though I wouldn't know, my internet connection is so craptastic that I'm never host.

That is super lame. They should have dedicated servers by now with the amount of people who actually play Cod.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI
reply to Hazy Arc
Did treyarch do MW3?

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC
No - Infinity Ward developed MW3.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
reply to MuDvAyNe
It is lame.
But I doubt they'd ever go to dedicated servers because so many people buy it the way it is with player hosting.

Nooodle

Glastonbury, CT
reply to Nooodle
Whatever guys, I guess Ill just have to deal with the crappy net-code in these games, there's no use trying to fix it.

Whaaa

@telus.net
I don't know how you say it's the "crappy net code" when not all other players are having that issue. I play a lot of COD as well and you have to realize it's not all based on your connection. It's based on the connection of everyone in the room, especially the connection between you and the host.
If there is lag when you are hosting, then I guarantee the issue is on your side.
Also, if you're testing packet loss on a TCP test then you won't know if you have packet loss on a UDP connection. UDP is what is used for gaming, not TCP like on your computer. If you're looking for packet loss from your computer and not gettting it it doesn't mean anything really. Games use UDP, which is generally not as stable as it's a "best effort" connection.

My guess, would be that your signal level to your house is probably high, which means that you could get loss. The other issue could be a router issue. Have you tried port forwarding your router to your Xbox?

Nooodle

Glastonbury, CT
I think youre right about the signal level of my modem, my neighbor has the same ISP and doesnt have these issues at all. I tried adding some cable splitters but it didnt completely solve the issue. I am experiencing lag while hosting, if you could give any advice that would be great.