Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

UPS brands and recommendations

I'm looking to invest in a UPS, and I'd like to get some recommendations, reason being I have generator that cycles once a week, so it kicks on, powers my house for about 30 mins and then my house goes back on the grid.

In most cases the only thing that goes off is my TV & Amp occasionally more stuff goes off. I would like to get a UPS for the TV room, and for the two gaming PCs.

What do you guys think?
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

For brand recommendations:

»Re: UPS on computer

I would not suggest hooking the TV up to the UPS (at least on the battery-backed AC ports), and a single UPS to drive two computers may be too much (depending on what those systems are doing at the time, etc.).

You'll need to get some actual real-world numbers (watts used) before you can determine if you should buy one big UPS or multiple small ones.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by koitsu:

For brand recommendations:

I would not suggest hooking the TV up to the UPS (at least on the battery-backed AC ports), and a single UPS to drive two computers may be too much (depending on what those systems are doing at the time, etc.).

My generator does a self test once a week, in the morning. I'm mostly looking to avoid having my entertainment unit do a hard reset once a week (TV+Amp+Boxee Box) so it'll only be on the battery for about 45 seconds or so.

Thanks for the links I'll be checking those out and doing some reading.

said by koitsu:

You'll need to get some actual real-world numbers (watts used) before you can determine if you should buy one big UPS or multiple small ones.

Duly noted I have some power monitors I've been itching to test out more extensively... so I'll be using those.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
reply to El Quintron

CyberPower at Costco (among other places)--the big one (1350VA). I haven't run anything "electronic" (including TVs--especially now, when they're little different from computer monitors) w/o a UPS for more than 20 years. (I used to get APC, but I wouldn't get them any more since the company was sold.)

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON

Thanks for the recommend on the brand.

Cheers,
EQ

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to El Quintron

I currently have an APC and a CyberPower (and several other APC's in the past). No issues with any of them. You will typically get several years out of one, at which point the battery will need to be replaced. And then it's more cost effective to simply replace the whole unit.
--
Google is your Friend

tirebiter

join:2002-02-16
Champaign, IL
reply to El Quintron

The Cyberpower units have come a long way since back in the day. I have about 6 UPSes and the Cyberpower ones are my favorites. For PCs the software could be better but all around they seem the best bet. Plus they answer their emails!

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to El Quintron

FWIW my home unit is a CyberPower that I have two desktops and my TonidoPlus server hooked up. What I think the value in it isn't so much the power interruption but keeping a constant feed of clean electricity to my computers. Before I bought this my Intel monitor used to ding all the time about uneven voltage and it's been silent for the last year or so since I bought the CP.
--
Stayed #4. Next up on 12/15 Canisius. Nassib was named All-American over Bridgewater in Pro Football Weekly. Grats Ryan!